1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 11:31
    Saw in the local newspaper and advert for a lecture on creationism vs evolution. The advert also implied it was a creationist lecture. Should I bother to go and try 'debating' with them?

--- Penguin
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 11:45
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Saw in the local newspaper and advert for a lecture on creationism vs evolution. The advert also implied it was a creationist lecture. Should I bother to go and try 'debating' with them?

--- Penguin
    Well, I don't know that you should try to debate with them, but I would be interested in what you might learn. You never know, you might hear something about the issue you never heard before.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 11:45

--- Penguin
    Depends on the genre of the performance - is it comedy or tragedy?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 11:47
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Depends on the genre of the performance - is it comedy or tragedy?
    It may even be an action adventure.
  5. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '08 21:32
    Originally posted by josephw
    Well, I don't know that you should try to debate with them, but I would be interested in what you might learn. You never know, you might hear something about the issue you never heard before.
    Bible Campaign "Creation not evolution" Lecture at Memorial Hall

I might learn something but I expect I would hear the same tired misconceptions and tortured logic that appears on these pages time after time. Hope springs eternal though, it would be good to hear a new argument.

Unfortunately, I have a barbeque to go to instead. Damn. I really would have liked to attend.

--- Penguin.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 05:56

--- Penguin
    Sit at the back and call them out on everything they get wrong.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:03
    [b]Bible Campaign "Creation not evolution" Lecture at Memorial Hall

I might learn something but I expect I would hear the same tired misconceptions and tortured logic that appears on these pages time after time. Hope springs eternal though, it would be good to hear a new argument.

Unfortunately, I have a barbeque to go to instead. Damn. I really would have liked to attend.

--- Penguin.[/b]
    I'd go to the barbeque as well!
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'd go to the barbeque as well!
    I'd pray about it.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 15:011 edit

--- Penguin
    An invitation to go to a lecture is not an invitation to debate the lecturer. If you go, listen and be polite.

EDIT - Go to the BBQ.
  10. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '08 21:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    An invitation to go to a lecture is not an invitation to debate the lecturer. If you go, listen and be polite.

EDIT - Go to the BBQ.
    Indeed, it was billed as a lecture, not a discussion so my only opportunity to speak would be during any question & answer session at the end, unless I heckled of course, which probably would have been counter-productive.

Sadly, by barbecue attending duties had priority so I didn't go.

--- Penguin.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 07:05

--- Penguin
    everyone that goes there will be a creationist and they will gang up on you in the debate.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 08:17

--- Penguin
    Listen to Bill Hicks' "dinosaurs in the bible" and you'll know all you need to know about creationism.

You can easily download the MP3.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree