1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:18
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    How many times more do you think the militaries budget is
    to medicines? To the nearest million please.
    I wish it was infinite, because providing medicine is not something that a just government should be in the business of doing.
  2. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:29
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I wish it was infinite, because providing medicine is not something that a just government should be in the business of doing.
    What exactly do you mean by that?
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:292 edits
    Do you mean that we should all make money by conquest
    and not help people with it?
    Take from the weak and give to the rich.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:351 edit

Take from the weak and give to the rich.
    Absolutely not. Take from nobody. You're the one who wants to take from people via taxation.

Capitalists don't take from anybody. They trade.
  5. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:38
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Let us take a theoretical position that Superman exists. Now although he is endowed with superhuman strength, the power of flight, x-ray eyes, near invulnerability etc. He does not act in the best interests of humans unless it is in a reactionary capacity. For example, someone fires a nuclear missile at America and he flies it into space where it detonat ...[text shortened]... he purpose of this thread and is god morally bound to intervene to stop future pain/strife etc.?
    Nice question..

At the end of the day, Superman is a Creature of God. He must do what
    his and my God tell us to do.

Assuming Superman exists, makes me wonder how he never had a
    claim to be God, after all he is 'man', and many men with fractions of his
    powers claimed their Lordship over other men.

Superman is accountable as you and me are. For doing good or bad..

For all that is happening around us, is but test.

6. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:41
    Absolutely not. Take from nobody. You're the one who wants to take from people via taxation.

A perfect system until unwitting workers get caught up in it.
    It's not about trade anymore, it went past that a while back.
    Now it's about control.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:411 edit
    What exactly do you mean by that?
    I mean that the government should spend exactly $0 on social medicine.
    If it spends more, it is acting unjustly.
  8. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:511 edit
    8/10 Times it does. It's kickbacks from the military.
    That which was designed to destroy turns to good use.

I would prefer it if it was the other way 'round though.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 19:521 edit
    Why do you feel that government funded healthcare is unjust, Doc?

EDIT - And what exactly is your definition of a "social medicine"?
  10. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 20:12
    Couldn't that amount be applied to almost every government program? And if 1 cent more is spent it would be labled "unjust"?

Nope, sorry Doc, but that doesn't add up. Either the government can or can't spend our tax money. You can't just pick out one program and give it a budget of $0. If the government can spend money on roads it can spend it on medicine, schools, nukes, etc.

11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 21:06
    Originally posted by wib
    Couldn't that amount be applied to almost every government program? And if 1 cent more is spent it would be labled "unjust"?

Nope, sorry Doc, but that doesn't add up. Either the government can or can't spend our tax money. You can't just pick out one program and give it a budget of $0. If the government can spend money on roads it can spend it on medicine, schools, nukes, etc.

I had read something some time ago about "the greater good" but I can't remember how that appies to nukes. Social medication falls under that.

What about disabled people? Do we just throw them on the streets? The government should be used as a tool for upholding the rights and way of life of all of it's citizens so that all may persue happiness and fulfillment. A system with no medical or social assistance leaves many behind.

If superman was to answer before God, he would answer of how he helped the meek and downtrodden in his life, and worked toward a goal of the greater good.

For whatever you do to them...
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    02 Aug '05 21:51

Man are you deceiving yourself.
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 00:26
    I disagree in the strongest terms possible, Scribbles. Medicine should ABSOLUTELY NOT be a capital venture in any way, shape or form. Any doctor who cares more about his bottom line than healing the sick should be stripped of his license to practise. It is an altrusitic profession, like it or not...anything else is paying lip service to the hippocratic oath.
  14. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 00:39
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I had read something some time ago about "the greater good" but I can't remember how that appies to nukes. Social medication falls under that.

What about disabled people? Do we just throw them on the streets? The government should be used as a tool for upholding the rights and way of life of all of it's citizens so that all may persue happiness and fulf ...[text shortened]... en in his life, and worked toward a goal of the greater good.

The problem is the definition of "the greater good" is totally dependent upon those in power and how they wish to spend our tax dollars. Plenty of people will support spending $200 billion on a war, but cry like babies if the government spends 50 cents on some social program they disagree with.

I'm reaching a point where I'm in favor of socialized medicine. My health insurance costs are steadily rising. Much faster than anything else in my life I can currently think of.
  15. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:02
    Originally posted by Nyxie

What about disabled people? Do we just throw them on the streets? The government should be used as a tool for upholding the rights and way of life of all of it's citizens so that all may persue happiness and fulf ...[text shortened]... en in his life, and worked toward a goal of the greater good.

Just watching on ABC News the situation in Niger last night. If ever there was a need for a "superman" it is there but Rwingett made an excellent point that we don't need a superhero to fix situations like that.

Due to lack of food, these poor people had to eat the rotted meat off disgarded carcasses. One woman had to bury her 1 year old because she starved to death.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree