1. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:24
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Absolutely not. Take from nobody. You're the one who wants to take from people via taxation.

Capitalists don't take from anybody. They trade.
    And what happens to you, exactly, if you have nothing to offer in trade?

The post about Niger made me think of this. Pure capitalism would suggest that the solution to the problem is for the starving people to 'buy' (not necessarily with cash) the food they need.

In return for what, exactly? About the only thing they could conceivably offer is their own labour. But who wants it? Even though the price would probably be obscenely cheap, who actually wants it?
  2. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:29
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Let us take a theoretical position that Superman exists. Now although he is endowed with superhuman strength, the power of flight, x-ray eyes, near invulnerability etc. He does not act in the best interests of humans unless it is in a reactionary capacity. For example, someone fires a nuclear missile at America and he flies it into space where it detonat ...[text shortened]... he purpose of this thread and is god morally bound to intervene to stop future pain/strife etc.?
    To avert world hunger, he would have to take food from those with a surplus of food. Without consent, this would be called stealing. For poverty, replace food with money. Stealing or fraud.

To stop pollution, he would have to stop people from polluting. This would probably be regarded as trampling on their rights, and/or bad for the economy.

To stop war... not only would he be putting millions of people out of jobs, but he'd probably have to impose restrictions on where certain people could go (false imprisonment), stop them saying provocative things to each other (freedom of speech), and generally terrify them into submission.

No God is an island...
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:30
    Originally posted by orfeo
    And what happens to you, exactly, if you have nothing to offer in trade?

The post about Niger made me think of this. Pure capitalism would suggest that the solution to the problem is for the starving people to 'buy' (not necessarily with cash) the food they need.

In return for what, exactly? About the only thing they could conceivably offer is their ...[text shortened]... ut who wants it? Even though the price would probably be obscenely cheap, who actually wants it?
    Taking care of the Niger problem is the job of charities and humanitarian organisations, not the government. Beaurocracy is the biggest waste of money.
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:39
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Taking care of the Niger problem is the job of charities and humanitarian organisations, not the government. Beaurocracy is the biggest waste of money.
    Well, charities aren't capitalists either, actually, so you're agreeing with me. I didn't say it WAS the job of government.

What do you see as the role of government, exactly? I'm genuinely interested.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 14:47
    Well, charities aren't capitalists either, actually, so you're agreeing with me. I didn't say it WAS the job of government.

What do you see as the role of government, exactly? I'm genuinely interested.
    Justice and National Defence are the only ones I can think of right now.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:00
    Lol, now that's funny. Justice? Since when has justice been anything to do with government?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:04
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Lol, now that's funny. Justice? Since when has justice been anything to do with government?
    The three branches of civil government: judicial, legislative and executive. (Maybe justice was an over-simplification). Let me just add that the powers of these branches should be seperated in a system of checks and balances.
  8. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:07
    It depends on what you mean by 'justice'.

There are three arms of government - the judiciary (courts), the executive (what's often thought of as 'government'😉, and the legislature (in USA, Congress). They all have a role in making and administering laws, which is the classic function of government.

I'd be interested to know if there ANY kinds of services you think government should provide, or if it should be entirely left in the hands of the private sector and/or charitable bodies.

Welfare payments?
    Hospitals?
    Postal services?
    Water and electricity?
    Sewage?
    Roads?
    Schools?

That's just a random sample, and please don't assume what my own answers would be.
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:11
    It depends on what you mean by 'justice'.

There are three arms of government - the judiciary (courts), the executive (what's often thought of as 'government'😉, and the legislature (in USA, Congress). They all have a role in making and administering laws, which is the classic function of government.

I'd be interested to know if there ANY kinds of s ...[text shortened]... Schools?

That's just a random sample, and please don't assume what my own answers would be.
    Some of those options are debatable. Depends if they will form profitable private sector corporations. One that for me is a definite no-no for governement is education. One cannot entrust any state with the moulding of the minds of the future voters. The control of education should be in the hands of the parents.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:12
    I gotta run... :'( Will be happy to answer any more question.
  11. London
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:17
    Some of those options are debatable. Depends if they will form profitable private sector corporations. One that for me is a definite no-no for governement is education. One cannot entrust any state with the moulding of the minds of the future voters. The control of education should be in the hands of the parents.
    Parents?! Are you sure??
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:27
    I wouldn't entrust the education of children to half the parents in the world. Sheesh, that sounds like a recipe for disaster and the stupidity of generations to come.
  13. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:28
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Parents?! Are you sure??
    Pretty much what I was thinking. There are plenty of parents who either are thankful there are people who decide most of these things for them, or regard schools as glorified babysitters who should be doing the entire parenting job for them.

Try getting into higher education on that basis, as well.

"What was your grade?"
    "Well, my Dad gave me an A because I learnt everything HE knew."

Someone, somewhere has to do the job of 'moulding minds'. Why not the State? Here in Australia a very large proportion of schools are government-run, but I'm pretty sure the party in power isn't churning out thousands of little future voters.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:38
    Pretty much what I was thinking. There are plenty of parents who either are thankful there are people who decide most of these things for them, or regard schools as glorified babysitters who should be doing the entire parenting job for them.

Try getting into higher education on that basis, as well.

"What was your grade?"
    "Well, my Dad gave me an A b ...[text shortened]... , but I'm pretty sure the party in power isn't churning out thousands of little future voters.
    And the military can be more effective if the education is taught and molded by the state.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Aug '05 15:51
    Originally posted by Palynka
    And the military can be more effective if the education is taught and molded by the state.
    Well, it is important for the military to be effective, so having intelligent recruits would be a good idea. I'm sure the US armed forces would be doing a better job if they were smarter--might even have won some hearts and minds.

If education went completely private it would go the same way as private healthcare--unaffordable for the majority.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree