1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 04:43
    I'm wondering, as more and more people worship Atheo, should we move Crhistmas forward closer to the vernal equinox?

Maybe we should celebrate on march 26th (Richard Dawkins birthday) and call it Richardmas.
  2. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 05:29
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I'm wondering, as more and more people worship Atheo, should we move Crhistmas forward closer to the vernal equinox?

Maybe we should celebrate on march 26th (Richard Dawkins birthday) and call it Richardmas.
    Nope -- too close to St. Patrick's Day. The Irish Rovers will start singing about Rudolph the Unicorn and it'll just get worse from there.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 05:441 edit

Christmas is fine where it is. It is mid summer and the middle of the rainy season so the temperatures are not too high. I would vote for a name change though as a large percentage of those who celebrate it are not Christian. I was impressed though by the pilot of the plane I travelled in as he specifically said 'To the Christians on board - Happy Christmas'.
    Were I live (Cape Town) a large part of the population is Muslim and we have Jews as well, so Muslim and Jewish holidays have nearly as much significance as Christian ones.

I take my annual leave at Christmas time, not because its Christmas but because it is the longest School holiday (summer holidays).
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 06:27

Nobody worships "atheo". Get over it. You really don't listen to anyone else, do you?

I'm happy with the holiday where it is. I have no problem with Britain or any other country having a tradition, provided people don't try and force it. If I want to work over Xmas, I should be allowed to. I'm not religious, why should other people force their holidays on me? Give me the days off and let me take them when I want to.

However, if people would accept the holiday for what it really is (a pagan midwinter festival) I'd be much happier.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 15:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would vote for a name change though as a large percentage of those who celebrate it are not Christian.
    In Norway the name was never changed, it's still called "jul", i.e. Yule, despite Norway being an officially Christian country. The German name, "Weihnachten" ('holy night'😉 works for non-Christians as well. But "Christmas" is so established that it would probably be difficult to go back to some older word or invent a new word (just like it would be difficult to change the Norwegian or German words).
  6. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 15:23
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Nobody worships "atheo". Get over it. You really don't listen to anyone else, do you?

I'm happy with the holiday where it is. I have no problem with Britain or any other country having a tradition, provided people don't try and force it. If I want to work over Xmas, I should be allowed to. I'm not religious, why should other people force their h ...[text shortened]... ccept the holiday for what it really is (a pagan midwinter festival) I'd be much happier.
    December 25 used to be a pagan festival. It is no more! Someone came along (Jesus) who means so much more and holds so much more significance than some pagan tradition. CHRISTMAS has replaced your pagan rituals because it means SO much more. It will never go back to being called simply the midwinter festival. You're dreaming! I mean seriously, once you have steak you don't go back to hamburger!
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 15:474 edits
    Originally posted by chappy1
    December 25 used to be a pagan festival. It is no more! Someone came along (Jesus) who means so much more and holds so much more significance than some pagan tradition. CHRISTMAS has replaced your pagan rituals because it means SO much more. It will never go back to being called simply the midwinter festival. You're dreaming! I mean seriously, once you have steak you don't go back to hamburger!
    Chappy you have no idea what you're talking about. There are more people than you think that celebrate this holiday for what it originally was.

While there are far more Christians in the world, the religion of Asatru was reborn in the 1970's and has been growing ever since. The religion was officially recognized in Iceland in 1973, Norway in 1994, Denmark in 2003, Sweden in 2007, and even though the US government does not officially recognize any religion, Asatru has had nonprofit religous status since the 70's.

Despite the fact that this religion does not actively seek converts, I've seen many new people in the past few years in the NE United States alone convert to this religion. Why is that? Because they find it more MEANINGFUL (to use your own words) than Christianity.

Steak can be great but sometimes there's nothing like a good hamburger.

That being said, this holiday will continue to primarily known to the general public as Christmas for a long time to come. I see no reason nor have any desire to see it changed. My only hope is that more Christians will at least acknowledge history and have a better understanding and respect for where many of their customs originate and stop being so damn condescending like you've just demonstrated here Chappy.
  8. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 16:17
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Chappy you have no idea what you're talking about. There are more people than you think that celebrate this holiday for what it originally was.

While there are far more Christians in the world, the religion of Asatru was reborn in the 1970's and has been growing ever since. The religion was officially recognized in Iceland in 1973, Norway in 1994, Denmar ...[text shortened]... originate and stop being so damn condescending like you've just demonstrated here Chappy.
    How have I been condescending? I acknowledged that Christmas used to be a winter festival. I simply said that Christianity is more meaningful! Condescending? Huh?
  9. The sky
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 16:22
    How have I been condescending? I acknowledged that Christmas used to be a winter festival. I simply said that Christianity is more meaningful! Condescending? Huh?
    It's more meaningful to you. The condescending part is that you imply it's more meaningful for everybody, which obviously isn't true.

Steak or hamburger? They are both disgusting. 😛
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 16:241 edit
    You seriously think that saying that Christianity is SO much more meaningful isn't condescending to folks that personally believe otherwise?
  11. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 03:26
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's more meaningful to you. The condescending part is that you imply it's more meaningful for everybody, which obviously isn't true.

Steak or hamburger? They are both disgusting. 😛
    Jesus came for the whole world. If you choose not to acknowledge it then that's your downfall. It is more meaningful.
  12. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 11:18

We could call it Kriskringlemas or shorten it to Krismas.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 12:31
    Jesus came for the whole world. If you choose not to acknowledge it then that's your downfall. It is more meaningful.
    It isn't more meaningful to me.

Incidentally, "mas" means "nagging" in Norwegian. That gives "Christmas" a whole new meaning which fits the way some Christians promote their own religion.
  14. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 19:53

Incidentally, "mas" means "nagging" in Norwegian. That gives "Christmas" a whole new meaning which fits the way some Christians promote their own religion.
    Christmas= Christ's Mass.
  15. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '07 19:53

Like I said, it's your downfall.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree