1. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    20 Jun '09 18:23
    With most religions as they are today, should you still be a part of an organization?
    First no man has any right to judge anyone on this earth whether they are bring approved by God in their worship. We all answer individually to him.
    But following many scriptuers and examples Jesus set when on earth, one would think that God would still work thru an organization today .
    Just a few scriptures: Pro 3:5, Matt 24:14, Heb 10: 24 & 25, 1Cor 1: 10, & 14: 33 & 40, John 10: 16, Acts 16: 4 & 5.
  2. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    20 Jun '09 19:33
    I am an athiest, but I think most theists would argue that God works through just about anything he needs to including individuals and organizations - though I personally have never fully understood this need for an omnipotent God to work through anything. I also think that most theists would also agree that no organization is wholly Godly and often has influence from individuals that can be decidedly ungodly.
    However, I think the consideration concerning joining an organization should include many other factors such as:
    1. The opportunity to learn from others.
    2. The opportunity to get together with like minded people - mutual encouragement is a powerful factor.
    3. The opportunity to organize charitable actions - if your beliefs include that, including both internal charity in terms of supporting each other but also charity to others outside the organization.

    But then as an atheist I wish you would all leave organized religion as I think religion would die out pretty quick if there was nobody building churches, holding rallies, advertising on tv, or printing Bibles.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    20 Jun '09 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am an athiest, but I think most theists would argue that God works through just about anything he needs to including individuals and organizations - though I personally have never fully understood this need for an omnipotent God to work through anything. I also think that most theists would also agree that no organization is wholly Godly and often has i ...[text shortened]... k if there was nobody building churches, holding rallies, advertising on tv, or printing Bibles.
    I think there can also be valid aesthetic reasons—by which I do not mean just music, literature and art; but also the kind of symbolism that is expressed in both “scripture” and creedal statements.

    EDIT: The OP seems to be talking strictly about Christian denominationalism; I am talking about religious expression per se.
  4. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    20 Jun '09 20:59
    (((( But then as an atheist I wish you would all leave organized religion as I think religion would die out pretty quick if there was nobody building churches, holding rallies, advertising on tv, or printing Bibles.))))

    May I ask why your an athiest?
  5. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    21 Jun '09 03:151 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    With most religions as they are today, should you still be a part of an organization?
    First no man has any right to judge anyone on this earth whether they are bring approved by God in their worship. We all answer individually to him.
    But following many scriptuers and examples Jesus set when on earth, one would think that God would still work thru a ...[text shortened]... s: Pro 3:5, Matt 24:14, Heb 10: 24 & 25, 1Cor 1: 10, & 14: 33 & 40, John 10: 16, Acts 16: 4 & 5.
    Matt 24:4 ... Take heed that no man deceive you.
    5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. ....
    .
    11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many ..
    .
    23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
    24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

    The Jehovah Witness is one example of a religious sect that preach false doctrines
  6. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    21 Jun '09 03:41
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Matt 24:4 ... Take heed that no man deceive you.
    5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. ....
    .
    11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many ..
    .
    23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
    24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and s ...[text shortened]... .

    [b] The Jehovah Witness is one example of a religious sect that preach false doctrines
    [/b]
    2 Cor 4: 3 & 4. The more you spout off is the more this scripture fits you and the more obvious you know nothing about the Bible. It's a simple puzzle that you have no idea how to put together. You probably have no idea who the "God of this System" is that this is talking about!!!!! Right????
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    18220
    21 Jun '09 03:52
    Originally posted by galveston75
    2 Cor 4: 3 & 4. The more you spout off is the more this scripture fits you and the more obvious you know nothing about the Bible. It's a simple puzzle that you have no idea how to put together. You probably have no idea who the "God of this System" is that this is talking about!!!!! Right????
    See - look at you two? Regardless of the ostensible purpose of an organization I just wish people would stop organizing themselves into groups to foment hatred and persecution for other groups. If that's all you have to offer I hope you wake to death locked in a mutual embrace sliding down a greased tube to the underworld while simultaneously realizing that you were both so wrong.
  8. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    21 Jun '09 03:54
    Originally posted by galveston75
    2 Cor 4: 3 & 4. The more you spout off is the more this scripture fits you and the more obvious you know nothing about the Bible. It's a simple puzzle that you have no idea how to put together. You probably have no idea who the "God of this System" is that this is talking about!!!!! Right????
    Lol ... Im sure you do know though.
    The same way 'know' that the 144,000 children of Israel is the JW's ...😀.. Right ????????
  9. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    21 Jun '09 04:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Lol ... Im sure you do know though.
    The same way 'know' that the 144,000 children of Israel is the JW's ...😀.. Right ????????
    Only God know's who's in that group. The answer which I knew you wouldn't know is Satan!! Tuff one huh?
  10. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    21 Jun '09 04:01
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    See - look at you two? Regardless of the ostensible purpose of an organization I just wish people would stop organizing themselves into groups to foment hatred and persecution for other groups. If that's all you have to offer I hope you wake to death locked in a mutual embrace sliding down a greased tube to the underworld while simultaneously realizing that you were both so wrong.
    I dont belong to any groups or organisations.
  11. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    21 Jun '09 04:05
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    See - look at you two? Regardless of the ostensible purpose of an organization I just wish people would stop organizing themselves into groups to foment hatred and persecution for other groups. If that's all you have to offer I hope you wake to death locked in a mutual embrace sliding down a greased tube to the underworld while simultaneously realizing that you were both so wrong.
    You know..your right and I apologize, even to him. He's doing this on purpose and I shouldn't lower myself to that....Thanks.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    21 Jun '09 06:40
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Should you be a part of a religion?
    If you want others to do the thinking for you, then a church is the place for you.
    If you want another ones religion, then a church is the place for you.

    But if you want to form your own truth, what's right for you, then keep out of the churches and organisations. Then, and only then, you can evolve your own relation to your god.
  13. Pepperland
    Joined
    30 May '07
    Moves
    12892
    21 Jun '09 16:55
    Originally posted by galveston75
    With most religions as they are today, should you still be a part of an organization?
    First no man has any right to judge anyone on this earth whether they are bring approved by God in their worship. We all answer individually to him.
    But following many scriptuers and examples Jesus set when on earth, one would think that God would still work thru a ...[text shortened]... s: Pro 3:5, Matt 24:14, Heb 10: 24 & 25, 1Cor 1: 10, & 14: 33 & 40, John 10: 16, Acts 16: 4 & 5.
    Should you be a part of a religion?

    Its up to you.
    organised religion has its disadvantages (corruption being one of them), however, its easier to understand belief in God if you have an interpretation offered by the religion of your choice (e.g. the catechism of the catholic church).
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    21 Jun '09 23:443 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    With most religions as they are today, should you still be a part of an organization?
    First no man has any right to judge anyone on this earth whether they are bring approved by God in their worship. We all answer individually to him.
    But following many scriptuers and examples Jesus set when on earth, one would think that God would still work thru a ...[text shortened]... s: Pro 3:5, Matt 24:14, Heb 10: 24 & 25, 1Cor 1: 10, & 14: 33 & 40, John 10: 16, Acts 16: 4 & 5.
    From a Chrisitan perspectve, Christ set up the church and said the gates of hell would not prevail against it. So I guess take it up with him if you are a follower. Now does that mean that God apporves of every church out there or does it mean there is a church out there that has cornered the market on perfect theology? No, but there are some worth being apart of nonetheless.
  15. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    22 Jun '09 07:32
    Originally posted by galveston75
    May I ask why your an athiest?
    There can be only one answer. Because I don't believe in a God or gods. I was brought up as a Christian, but at the age of about 13 or so, I realized that it just didn't add up. I have thought about the topic and discussed it with many people since then, and nobody has given me what I would consider valid reasons to believe there is a God. Interestingly, the vast majority don't even try to give valid reasons but rather resort to suggesting I delude myself first and the rest will follow. Again, nobody has convinced me that that is a reasonable or desirable course of action.
Back to Top