1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 05:55
    I think the Shroud while very interesting.....Like I've said before if your faith is based on relics then your missing the boat so to speak. If you read the old testament you know the relics became obstacles to those people of that day

Manny

PS I'm more interested in Noah's Ark but even if they found it people will not believe.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 06:34
    Originally posted by menace71
    PS I'm more interested in Noah's Ark but even if they found it people will not believe.
    What's to believe? If they found it, it would be there. No belief required. Its not as if it would be some ghostly form that only true believers can see.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 06:45
    True but there would be skeptics is all.....this is human nature

Manny
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 11:30
    I think the Shroud while very interesting.....Like I've said before if your faith is based on relics then your missing the boat so to speak. If you read the old testament you know the relics became obstacles to those people of that day

Manny

A Noah's ark relic is okay for a Jew. However, I think the proof of the resurrection of Christ should be more important to a Christian.
  5. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 12:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    A Noah's ark relic is okay for a Jew. However, I think the proof of the resurrection of Christ should be more important to a Christian.
    Isn't there something about idolatry in the Big Book of Fairy Tales? If ever there was an idol or graven image it's the bit of old rag that you revere so much.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 12:16
    True but there would be skeptics is all.....this is human nature
    Manny
    Of course there would be sceptics, and its one of the best parts of human nature. But being a sceptic is not the same thing as being closed minded or deliberately delusional.
    For example, a sceptic would ask "Is there good evidence that the object claimed to be the Ark actually exists?", "What other reasonable explanations are there for the object being there?", "Does it match descriptions in the Bible and what are the consequences of any discrepancies?" "Does its existence substantiate anything said in the Bible and if so, to what extent?" etc. This sort of sceptical questioning is good.
    But your initial comment 'people will not believe' suggests that it is all a matter of faith and that those who are sceptical are being so for religious or personal reasons - and you said it in a disparaging way as if you think sceptics are bad.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 12:35
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Isn't there something about idolatry in the Big Book of Fairy Tales? If ever there was an idol or graven image it's the bit of old rag that you revere so much.
    The image on the cloth is not graven or made by the hand of man, so it would not fall under the category of an idol that is worshipped, like the golden calf of Moses day. The golden calf had nothing to do with representing the true God, but was made to take worship away from the true God. Worship of Christ is allowed because He is the Son of God and the manifestation of the true God in bodily form. The old rag is simply a relic used to bring something to mind to the believers, just like the bread and wine in the Lord's supper, that Christ told his disciples to take in rememberance of Him.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 02:15
    Don't need a shroud to believe in the resurrection my friend

Manny
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 02:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Of course there would be sceptics, and its one of the best parts of human nature. But being a sceptic is not the same thing as being closed minded or deliberately delusional.
    For example, a sceptic would ask "Is there good evidence that the object claimed to be the Ark actually exists?", "What other reasonable explanations are there for the object being ...[text shortened]... sonal reasons - and you said it in a disparaging way as if you think sceptics are bad.
    I gotcha.....I see your point

Manny
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 04:05
    Don't need a shroud to believe in the resurrection my friend

Manny
    Of course not, but why should we refuse it, if God gives it to us?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 19:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    and you said it in a disparaging way as if you think sceptics are bad.
    Hahaha, this is really the pot calling the kettle black.

You always speak of God in a 'disparaging way' 'AS IF' you think God is bad.

Except there's really no 'as if' with you.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 19:20
    The image on the cloth is not graven or made by the hand of man, so it would not fall under the category of an idol that is worshipped, like the golden calf of Moses day. The golden calf had nothing to do with representing the true God, but was made to take worship away from the true God. Worship of Christ is allowed because He is the Son of God and the m ...[text shortened]... d and wine in the Lord's supper, that Christ told his disciples to take in rememberance of Him.
    Catholics have a far different idea regarding the Eucharist, so perhaps it's not the best analogy.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 19:23

Manny

I like Calvin's statement that a ship could be made from all the pieces of the 'True Cross'. Kinda puts the whole 'relic' thing into perspective.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 19:39
    I gotcha.....I see your point

Manny
    Thank you, its so rare on this forum that we actually get anothers point that its nice to know when we succeed. I fully admit that I seem to usually fail to get other peoples points.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 19:45
    Of course not, but why should we refuse it, if God gives it to us?
    You say "of course not" (it isn't proof) Then why do you keep referring to it as "proof" as you did above?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree