1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 12:01
    I thought God loved all of us? Why would he visit a genetic blood disorder on a select group of people? Have they sinned in the eyes of the Lord? I thought God was black?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 12:141 edit
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    I thought God loved all of us? Why would he visit a genetic blood disorder on a select group of people? Have they sinned in the eyes of the Lord? I thought God was black?
    1. The genes for sickle cell anemia protect against malaria, so on average those living in malaria areas are better off with the gene than without.
    2. Yes, Christians believe that everyone has sinned in the eyes of the lord and some Christians believe that all suffering is a result of sin, though not necessarily the sin of the sufferer. A significant number of people blame at least some suffering on the 'work of the devil'.
    3. Sickle cell anemia is a good example of evolution in action.
    4. A significant number of children are born with a severe genetic disorder. Almost everyone could be said to have at least one minor genetic disorder (I know of several that I have). Genes aren't perfect you know.
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 12:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    1. The genes for sickle cell anemia protect against malaria, so on average those living in malaria areas are better off with the gene than without.
    2. Yes, Christians believe that everyone has sinned in the eyes of the lord and some Christians believe that all suffering is a result of sin, though not necessarily the sin of the sufferer. A significant num ...[text shortened]... st one minor genetic disorder (I know of several that I have). Genes aren't perfect you know.
    1. A less than 50yr projected life span seems a good bit shorter than the 3 score and 10 we are promised in the bible. I'd rather have malaria or the AIDS, afterall, Majic Johnson's been hanging around for 20 something years with the ol' High Five.

2. Why reserve this particular form of suffering for just the Africans? The disease can be very painful from what I understand. Blocked veins, swelling, cramping and amputations can result, why not share that kind of suffering with the other sinners?

3. I'm not sure that a genetic defect that results in premature death can be classed as evolution. That's like saying autism and cancer are evolutionary traits. One of my neighbours has this kid with an enormous retarded bobble head and I am confident that they don't think he's highly evolved... especially when they are trying to jamb that big blue helmet on his melon.

4. Speak for yourself. Just because you waddled out of some freakish genetic gene pool doesn't mean everyone else is flawed.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Oct '07 15:351 edit
    God is black, as was Adam, created in the very image of the Lord. Thus, we may infer that God's original plan included all people suffering from sickle cell anemia. After all, even God was so pooped after a few days' work, a blink of an eye really, that he had to take a breather.

It is only by the devil's intervention that the white man has evolved away from God's design, presumably to allow them to live longer and thus have more time to oppress God's chosen race. But in the end, it's just as well, really. A good Christian black man knows that Hell is going to be rough enough on the whites without the additional suffering wrought by the holy genetic ideal.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 02:08
    If the ozone layer gets eaten up and cases of skin cancer sore around the world, maybe your grandchildren will long to have been born with darker skin.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 06:30
    1. A less than 50yr projected life span seems a good bit shorter than the 3 score and 10 we are promised in the bible. I'd rather have malaria or the AIDS, afterall, Majic Johnson's been hanging around for 20 something years with the ol' High Five.
    The life expectancy in Zambia which has both AIDS and malaria as the two biggest killers (I don't know which is bigger but both are way, way more than sickle cell anaemia) is in the region of 30.

2. Why reserve this particular form of suffering for just the Africans? The disease can be very painful from what I understand. Blocked veins, swelling, cramping and amputations can result, why not share that kind of suffering with the other sinners?
    Malaria isn't fun either even if you do survive. (I have had it a number of times). You could ask the same question (why them) about any disease/suffering etc that affects less than the whole population of the earth. For example 'why did God only put malaria in the tropics?'

3. I'm not sure that a genetic defect that results in premature death can be classed as evolution. That's like saying autism and cancer are evolutionary traits. One of my neighbors has this kid with an enormous retarded bobble head and I am confident that they don't think he's highly evolved... especially when they are trying to jamb that big blue helmet on his melon.
    The genetic defect results in the survival of more people carrying the gene. Therefore is can be classed as evolution and its prevalence in black people is a direct result of natural selection. Cancer is not a genetic disease and Autism is not a single genetic disease either but a description of the symptoms of a variety of genetic defects. Some of those genetic defects may in fact be beneficial.

4. Speak for yourself. Just because you waddled out of some freakish genetic gene pool doesn't mean everyone else is flawed.
    There is no such thing as a perfect gene. At least some of your genes could be described as defective.
  7. Playing with matches
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:22
    3. This particular genetic defect is not a positive trait and kills the individual in question. Its not evolution, you're an idiot for suggesting that it is. If I wanted to argue about something so stupid I'd have turned to the nearest die hard religious fanatic.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:34
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    God is black, as was Adam, created in the very image of the Lord. Thus, we may infer that God's original plan included all people suffering from sickle cell anemia. After all, even God was so pooped after a few days' work, a blink of an eye really, that he had to take a breather.

It is only by the devil's intervention that the white man h ...[text shortened]... h enough on the whites without the additional suffering wrought by the holy genetic ideal.
    Someone with a great sense of humor, finally!
    That one made me laugh 🙂
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 23:30
    Stop lying. You neither cared about God's love for all of us and neither have you at any time believed that God was black.

You're just trying to be sensational, shocking, and trying to pick a racist fight under the phony pretense of an appreciation for the Bible.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 23:31
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Stop lying. You neither cared about God's love for all of us and neither have you at any time believed that God was black.

You're just trying to be sensational, shocking, and trying to pick a racist fight under the phony pretense of an appreciation for the Bible.
    Or a phoney racist fight under a phony pretense.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 05:02
    3. This particular genetic defect is not a positive trait and kills the individual in question. Its not evolution, you're an idiot for suggesting that it is. If I wanted to argue about something so stupid I'd have turned to the nearest die hard religious fanatic.
    If you get one sickle cell gene and not two, you are resistant to malaria but don't suffer the sickle cell disease from what I understand.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 12:119 edits
    erased. Not worth it.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    13 Oct '07 12:221 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

It is only by the devil's intervention that the white man h h enough on the whites without the additional suffering wrought by the holy genetic ideal.
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 14:56
    Originally posted by jaywill

Your assertion that you know my beliefs and intentions is an unbelievable conceit. My beliefs are infinitely intricate and fluid in response to my collection of empirical data.

You need to get a grip on yourself and try to look past my initial comments. Seriously, do you really think that "God" IF He/She/It exists is going to have a skin color? Your conceit knows no bounds. I find it amusing that various Christian groups preach love, God's perfect love, and yet fail to aply it equally to all men.

Do you really think that God wants you to build temples and churches dedicated to his worship and let your fellow man suffer under the burden of hunger, ignorance, pestilence and war? Did you throw your tithe into the church coffers this Sunday? Did you do your part to fuel the economic engine of the church? Did you help your fellow man?

You're right, I'm trying to pick a fight of sorts, I want to challenge your beliefs and shake your foundations. Failure to do so is to wallow in ignorance. I don't have all the answers, but, I know one thing for sure, blindly accepting what someone tells me is the truth isn't one of them.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '07 23:014 edits
    Read your Post Hand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree