1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '07 23:17
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Your assertion that you know my beliefs and intentions is an unbelievable conceit. My beliefs are infinitely intricate and fluid in response to my collection of empirical data.

You need to get a grip on yourself and try to look past my initial comments. Seriously, do you really think that "God" IF He/She/It exists is going to have a skin c ...[text shortened]... e thing for sure, blindly accepting what someone tells me is the truth isn't one of them.
    That one was nicely posed.
    Try to explain your points of view like this (in a concise way), instead of generating a bigger polarization of the positions by using ironies, sarcasms and some insults. Sometimes I just want to explode laughing with some things some people say, and mock them to death, but forums are not the place to do that, at least if you want to change opinions.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 08:43
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    3. This particular genetic defect is not a positive trait and kills the individual in question. Its not evolution, you're an idiot for suggesting that it is. If I wanted to argue about something so stupid I'd have turned to the nearest die hard religious fanatic.
    Next time, do a bit of reading on your own part before going for the insults.
    In a region where malaria is common, having a single copy of the gene for sickle cell anemia is a positive trait as pointed out by AThousandYoung. It is for this reason that the gene has survived and was not selected out of the population. If you have two copies then you suffer from sickle cell anemia which is why the gene has not spread to the whole population. The world is not as black and white as you apparently believe.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 09:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Next time, do a bit of reading on your own part before going for the insults.
    In a region where malaria is common, having a single copy of the gene for sickle cell anemia is a positive trait as pointed out by AThousandYoung. It is for this reason that the gene has survived and was not selected out of the population. If you have two copies then you suffer ...[text shortened]... t spread to the whole population. The world is not as black and white as you apparently believe.
    He's trolling. Don't take him seriously.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 09:53
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    He's trolling. Don't take him seriously.
    I know but I thought I would post the information for the benefit of other readers. And you never know, he might actually learn something himself.
    Also, it does raise questions along the ID lines in that the mutation is understandable and explainable in an evolutionary context but not in an "intelligent design" context. An intelligent being should have been able to come up with a gene that provided the protection against malaria without the problem of sickle cell anemia.
    Also the original argument about suffering caused by sickle cell anemia totally ignores the obvious fact that suffering is extreme and widespread amongst humans and if one is going to pick out a disease in particular then why not look at the biggest killers (malaria and HIV) which are often just as unfairly distributed - hence the vast differences in life expectancy between countries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree