1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 13:50
    sin, im told creates physical and mental defects in humans. ive been told that sin is the cause of many viruses.

what controls what sin can manifest its self as? what stops sin from turning a human into a giant pink fluffy elephant rather than deforming their spine? did god create sin? does he control the parameters of sins physical manifestations?

did god choose what actions are sinful? as he created everything did he create the concept of sin or did it exist with him before creation?
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 14:03
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    sin, im told creates physical and mental defects in humans. ive been told that sin is the cause of many viruses.

what controls what sin can manifest its self as? what stops sin from turning a human into a giant pink fluffy elephant rather than deforming their spine? did god create sin? does he control the parameters of sins physical manifestations? ...[text shortened]... he created everything did he create the concept of sin or did it exist with him before creation?
    There used to be a Cardinal Sin.

He was Cardinal Archbishop of Manila until 2003.

Instrumental in the installation of Corazon Aquino
    and the downfall of Ferdinand Marcos.

Sin is a word given generally to actions that are regarded to be wrong.
    I don't know if sin was always there or came later but it seems that sin
    is a matter of perspective.

There are things regarded as sinful that might not be
    regarded as sinful to others.

That's because there does not appear to be a universal global
    moral code.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 14:282 edits

what controls what sin can manifest its self as? what stops sin from turning a human into a giant pink fluffy elephant rather than deforming their spine? did god create sin? does he control the parameters of sins physical manifestations? ...[text shortened]... he created everything did he create the concept of sin or did it exist with him before creation?
    Sin, as I understand it, is defined to be anything which is counter to what Bible "G"od doesn't like humans to do (be that eating naughty apples from a magic tree or thinking there is something wrong with a god that commits genocide). If this particular god existed then "sin" will have existed prior to creation.

Of course, if one doesn't believe that god exists then for all it's currency in everyday speech (there are over a billion Christians), "sin" is a valueless term that only has a coincidental overlap here and there with what society would regard as morally wrong.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 14:40
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Sin, as I understand it, is defined to be anything which is counter to what Bible "G"od doesn't like humans to do (be that eating naughty apples from a magic tree or thinking there is something wrong with a god that commits genocide). If this particular god existed then "sin" will have existed prior to creation.

Of course, if one doesn't believe that god ex ...[text shortened]... a coincidental overlap here and there with what society would regard as morally wrong.
    so we have actions that are sins. like laws, dont put your thing in x or your finger in y and so on.

but how does that translate in becoming a physical disability or a virus?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 14:46
    so we have actions that are sins. like laws, dont put your thing in x or your finger in y and so on.

The people who told you that story are probably the same ones who think the moon landings were faked, the pyramids were made by aliens, and ufo aliens actually exist and stick probes into abducted humans' anuses.

They probably believe the world is coming to an end in a couple of weeks and crop circles are real, done by aliens also.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 15:234 edits

Simply put, it translates into becoming a physical disability or a virus by Bible "G"od having given those afflicted the shaft (because of other people committing "sin" (i.e. doing something it didn't like) prior to their birth)).

Just like you trying to stamp on a bouncers toe translates to said bouncer smacking you in the face, you or somebody else doing something "G"od doesn't like translates to people getting cancer (by designing the human body (given its supposed "perfection" ) in such way that cells are likely to malfunction catastrophically), or small-pox (by creating the pathogens that lead to these horrible viruses), or equipping humans with the mindset to burn other humans at the stake or...
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 15:54
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Simply put, it translates into becoming a physical disability or a virus by Bible "G"od having given those afflicted the shaft (because of other people committing "sin" (i.e. doing something it didn't like) prior to their birth)).

Just like you trying to stamp on a bouncers toe translates to said bouncer smacking you in the face, you or somebody else doing ...[text shortened]... small-pox, or equipping humans with the mindset to burn other humans at the stake or...
    i get the impression that they are somehow trying to separate god from the afflictions of sin, almost as if sin is some sort of universal thing that exists outside of god and to which god is bound to follow.

if god created everything then sin is almost like a arbitrary set of rules he has created.

are sins effects random? if so why do families pass down genetic diseases and why do the poor suffer much more from viruses?

if sins effects are not random? then why is god/sin attacking specific people regardless if they are good or bad. what is the reasoning?
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Dec '12 16:211 edit
    i get the impression that they are somehow trying to separate god from the afflictions of sin, almost as if sin is some sort of universal thing that exists outside of god and to which god is bound to follow.

if god created everything then sin is almost like a arbitrary set of rules he has created.

are sins effects random? if so why do families pa ...[text shortened]... is god/sin attacking specific people regardless if they are good or bad. what is the reasoning?
    If they are trying to make that separation then they are simply inventing a system that is incoherent. "Sin" is not a force, it is merely a set of actions disjoint from the set of things "G"od wants humans to do. In this sense it is very much an arbitrary collection of rules he (or to be more accurate the humans who invented this "G"od character) created.

In lieu of a coherent account of "sin effects" that is separate from the physical manifestation of "G"ods' actions (in response to "sin having been committed" somewhere) I say that unfortunate physical phenomenon is for all intents and purposes random; i.e. "G"od sets the wheels in motion and it plays out in some fashion without directionReveal Hidden Content
    neglecting my own leanings towards determinism
    . On the other hand, if god is intervening directly (such that viruses etc... aren't random) then it would be because that conception of "G"od is a fiend - nothing more to say about that one right now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree