1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 02:16
    sixth sense
    n. A power of perception seemingly independent of the five senses; keen intuition.

Is there such a thing?

If there is such a thing as a sixth sense, what do you think it is?

I'll make this statement: I believe that sixth sense is closely related to the spirit. That is to say, spiritual perception and sixth sense are essentially the same thing.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 02:23
    Originally posted by josephw
    sixth sense
    n. A power of perception seemingly independent of the five senses; keen intuition.

Is there such a thing?

I'll make this statement: I believe that sixth sense is closely related to the spirit. That is to say, spiritual perception and sixth sense are essentially the same thing.
    Not sure what you mean. Could you provide an example of an instance in which you demonstrated spiritual perception?
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 02:41
    sixth sense

Is there such a thing?

How do you reconcile this with your beliefs that the Bible is the sole inspiration of God?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 13:29
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    How do you reconcile this with your beliefs that the Bible is the sole inspiration of God?
    Do you believe that spiritual truth is spiritually understood?

I believe that the nature of God is revealed in creation, and creation is understood and comprehended through our physical senses, which is to say that knowing something about God isn't strictly a spiritual function.

But knowing God on a personal level requires a living, functioning spirit. To actually know Him and have a vital connection to Him is entirely a spiritual function. So the Bible says.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 13:36
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Not sure what you mean. Could you provide an example of an instance in which you demonstrated spiritual perception?
    I could, but that would be outside the topic of this thread.

I'm really looking for some replies to what sixth sense is and what it means to those who post in the spirituality forum.

I think there is a connection between what is spiritual and what we call sixth sense, and since this is a spirituality forum I was hoping to see a focused discussion about this topic.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 13:48
    sixth sense

Is there such a thing?

My understanding of intuition is when the brain analyzes the available information and makes a conclusion based upon the evidence but only presents the conclusion to the conscious mind and not the path by which it was obtained.
    I suspect however that when women say they know some thing by intuition they frequently do know how the reached the conclusion but choose not to bother explaining or prefer to keep it secret.

I also think that if there is anything such as a sixth sense it should be subject to analysis just like other senses are.
    Also we frequently and correctly do not entirely trust our 5 senses because we know they have limitations and can be misinterpreted or be outright wrong. If there is a sixth sense we should approach it with even more skepticism as we know even less about it.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 14:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My understanding of intuition is when the brain analyzes the available information and makes a conclusion based upon the evidence but only presents the conclusion to the conscious mind and not the path by which it was obtained.
    I suspect however that when women say they know some thing by intuition they frequently do know how the reached the conclusion b ...[text shortened]... is a sixth sense we should approach it with even more skepticism as we know even less about it.
    Good morning twhite, or good afternoon as the case may be.

I agree with what you have said here. My only reservation is with this statement; "I also think that if there is anything such as a sixth sense it should be subject to analysis just like other senses are."

How do we test or analyze something that is not subject to physical analysis?

If something cannot be analyzed by physical means, does that mean it doesn't exist?
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '09 18:29
    I could, but that would be outside the topic of this thread.

I'm really looking for some replies to what sixth sense is and what it means to those who post in the spirituality forum.

I think there is a connection between what is spiritual and what we call sixth sense, and since this is a spirituality forum I was hoping to see a focused discussion about this topic.
    Okay, then I'm not sure 'sixth sense' means anything specific to me, and I do not employ the phrase. Of course, if others are going to employ it, then I would like to know what they mean by it. If people want to use it as substitution for 'keen intuition', then that seems fair enough to me. If you want to use it as substitution for 'spiritual perception', then, sorry, but I really am not sure what you are talking about (that's why I asked for an example, which is certainly relevant to this thread if the point of this thread is to understand how different people employ the term -- considering your being one of the people who seem intent on employing it).
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 11:24

If something cannot be analyzed by physical means, does that mean it doesn't exist?
    Everything that is real is either completely arbitrary or subject to certain rules. There are ways to identify rules even thought they tend to be only statistical.
    It would be relatively easy to set up experiments where two people claiming to have a 6th sense are queried about what they sense and then check whether their responses match. If they do not match then we should probably conclude that either at least one does not have a 6th sense or that they are misinterpreting what they sense.
    I for example maintain a skeptical view of most peoples interpretation spiritual experiences because their interpretations frequently differ from each other.
  10. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 11:426 edits
    Good morning twhite, or good afternoon as the case may be.

I agree with what you have said here. My only reservation is with this statement; [b]"I also think that if there is anything such as a sixth sense it should be subject to analysis just like other senses are."

If something cannot be analyzed by physical means, does that mean it doesn't exist?[/b]
    ……How do we test or analyse something that is not subject to physical analysis?
    ...…

We can’t. We can’t because that is one of the defining attributes of superstition.

…If something cannot be analysed by physical means, does that mean it doesn't exist?....…

-answer, no.

Does it mean it DOES exist? -answer, no.

Does it mean it probably exists -answer, no.

Does it mean it rational to believe it probably exists -answer, no.

Does it mean it rational to believe it probably does NOT exists -answer, yes! -else we would believe that there exists a vast absurd assortment of bizarre invisible entities.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    12 Jan '09 13:00
    sixth sense

Is there such a thing?

I think that the so called "sixth sense" is the seemingly supernatural potential that activates the individual by seemingly supernatural means;

This potential is merely the result of the evaluation of the mind once the individual becomes able to use more than the usual known (aprox. 7😵 capacity of his brain; the seemingly supernatural means I mentioned are merely the result of the activated consiousness of the individual;

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree