thanks
    Nice! 😏
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 18:592 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Nice! 😏
    wasn't it,

"These things I command you, that you love one another. If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you"
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 21:28
    It's wonderful to see the Jehovah's Witnesses cult continuing to be held in such high regard.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '13 22:59
    "Indeed that is because they are prepared to criticise the argument and not the personality behind the argument. You on the other hand appear to me to be incapable of anything else. I remember keeping a list of the personal abuse that i suffered on this forum, i also recall that you described it as a vanity and an attempt at self aggrandisement, are you denying the fact, no i didn't think so. Once again rather focusing on the point at hand, you direct your arguments at the personality. This thread is an illustrative case in point and quite frankly why in my opinion you are insidious, a slanderer, your posts, not you are slimy, that trolls have low self esteem (i quoted a third party source) , that you fit the behaviour patterns ( I provided evidence of your use of an emotive subject, a failure to answer any questions, your willingness to pit others against each other) etc etc , these are statements of facts. Again i described your posts as tiresome, boring, lacking content which to me they do and are, that trolling is a perversity (again taken from a third party source), yes they are directed at your personality and i myself need to look at that issue and rectify it, but at least i was willing to also look at the issue, which you seem incapable of doing and in fact i had rather a fruitful discussion after i dismissed your posts. So you don't call people names, you certainly misrepresent their position and personalise almost every single post that you make and as far as i am concerned you certainly are best avoided. I am sorry if you find this hurtful, but its been my bitter experience to have any kind of correspondence with you, for this very reason. Time and again, i repeated, its not about me, so that it became a hackneyed cliche and time and again the thread was reduced to a discussion about personalities. I will be pleased if you simply stay away from me, do not respond to my posts, ignore me and treat me as a non entity, thanks in advance

Sounds like the very first argument between two developers of the Internet.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    27 Jan '13 01:161 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I don't come here to discuss myself, sorry, your post will be ignored. Again it may help if you refrained from using the terms, you, or you're in your posts.
    How can you... Sorry, slip of the keyboard there, how can ONE ignore something by replying to it?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '13 02:10
    Originally posted by Kepler
    How can you... Sorry, slip of the keyboard there, how can ONE ignore something by replying to it?
    indeed, how is it possible.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jan '13 02:201 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Here is a classic single paragraphed tub-thumping ranting example (not directed at me although there plenty of examples in the archives). Name removed to preserve the dignity of the poster. My emphases added.

"Indeed that is because they are prepared to criticise the argument and not the personality behind the argument. You on the other hand ...[text shortened]... m me, do not respond to my posts, ignore me and treat me as a non entity, thanks in advance
    From the Latin, ad hominem, "to a man", or "to the man". An attack directed against a person rather than against his arguments. As such, I will defend their occasional use on the basis of what I refer to as the "meta-game" of forum postings, especially between regular posters of such forums. They definitely have their place, given the vast differences between posting styles of the participants.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '13 11:14
    Interesting that the OP asks the question, what is an ad hominem, when the
    following reflect a rather excellent usage of the device, all from the same author
    who shall remain nameless to protect his dignity.

You need to get out more and stop obsessing with yourself in the mirror.

I didn't know you spoke retardish.

Robbie's disposition of ...[text shortened]... oint out the faults of others. Oh well, as Jesus said, 'haters are gonna hate'.
    I'm quite content to throw jibes, insults and banter about in general exchanges in threads about nothing.

But as usual you [deliberately] miss the point, which is that you use ad hominem attacks as a debating tactic to deflect from your weak position and you usually exploit this approach when you are metaphorically 'on the ropes'.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 12:381 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    But as usual you [robbie] miss the point, which is that you use ad hominem attacks as a debating tactic to deflect from your weak position and you usually exploit this approach when you are metaphorically 'on the ropes'.
    He's at it again on Thread 150989. Incessant claims that I am "attacking [someone's] personality" when I haven't and he repeatedly dodges it when asked where and how this "attack" took place.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 12:411 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    He's at it again on Thread 150989. Incessant claims that I am "attacking [someone's] personality" when I haven't and he repeatedly dodges it when asked where and how this "attack" took place.
    galveston75 is one of the most pessimistic and negative posters I have encountered on RHP. He has expressed the WISH that Jesus come down and wipe everybody and everything away. When I have presented evidence of human progress to him in the past he has very often started deflecting and dodging or telling me to look at a YouTube video. etc.

your words are they not FMF, care to explain what it is, if it is not an attack on a posters personality?

galveston75 is one of the most pessimistic and negative posters I have encountered on RHP. . . .deflecting and dodging
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 13:001 edit
    galveston75 is one of the most pessimistic and negative posters I have encountered on RHP. . . .deflecting and dodging[/b]

your words are they not FMF, care to explain what it is, if it is not an attack on a posters personality?[/b][/b]
    His "spiritual message" about the end of the world being nigh is based on some of the most pessimistic and negative perspectives and interpretations of the world, its current state, and its history, that anyone comes out with on this forum. I disagree with his pessimism and his negativity and his rationale for it. This is not "an attack on a posters personality". Stop trying to play me rather than the ball, robbie. This is a debate/discussion forum. People disagree. When it comes to the state of the human condition, I am optimistic and positive and galveston75 is pessimistic and negative. Stop trying to stifle the discussion by characterizing my point of view as "an ad-hominem attack". If galveston75 reckons he is "optimistic and positive", and not "pessimistic and negative", let him come out and demonstrate it.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '13 20:09
    galveston75 is one of the most pessimistic and negative posters I have encountered on RHP. He has expressed the WISH that Jesus come down and wipe everybody and everything away. When I have presented evidence of human progress to him in the past he has very often started deflecting and dodging or telling me to look at a YouTube video. etc.

your wo ...[text shortened]... ssimistic and negative posters I have encountered on RHP
    . . . .deflecting and dodging[/b]
    There is a difference between saying in response to a debating post:

"your posts are pure slime, you are a troll, you you know nothing" etc in a flagellating attempt to distract that your own point has been negated,

To saying:

"poster x is negative and pessimistic" and providing evidence to back up the statement and therefore remaining open to counter-debate.

Really...how does one respond to "you are slime"...?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree