1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 04:511 edit
    The Upanishads had some 20000 references to the word 'soma'.
    This was written around 6000 years ago and ,as I understand it, a lot of the subsequent Hindu(and later Bhuddist) canon was derived from this origonal linguistic scource.
    I myself am not so familiar with the Upanishads but would just like to ask the reader what (s)he may think this 'soma' is?

A friend and I have speculated that it might mean magic mushrooms, but since I have heard nothing furthur since, I am still wondering what this curious word would have meant. Especially since it is repeated so often in such an influential , spiritual book.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 09:37
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    This was written around 6000 years ago and ,as I understand it, a lot of the subsequent Hindu(and later Bhuddist) canon was derived from this origonal linguistic scource.
    I myself am not so familiar with the Upanishads but would just like to ask the reader what (s)he may think this 'soma' ...[text shortened]... ave meant. Especially since it is repeated so often in such an influential , spiritual book.
    The identity of the original plant was most likely ephedra, although there are alternative suggestions, such as Amanita muscaria, Psilocybin mushrooms, Blue lotus, Cannabis (Bhang), or even honey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma
  3. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 11:14
    I myself am not so familiar with the Upanishads but would just like to ask the reader what (s)he may think this 'soma' ...[text shortened]... ave meant. Especially since it is repeated so often in such an influential , spiritual book.
    I heard that Soma was the glue of the universe. I'm still not sure what that means.
  4. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 20:13
    Originally posted by buckky
    I heard that Soma was the glue of the universe. I'm still not sure what that means.
    Soma; the parts of an organism other than the reproductive cells.
    • the body as distinct from the soul, mind, or psyche.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 23:08
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Soma; the parts of an organism other than the reproductive cells.
    • the body as distinct from the soul, mind, or psyche.
    yeah,Iknow that interpretation. I'm pretty sure it was a physical drug of some kind in the context it was used in.
  6. England
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 11:17
    Originally posted by buckky
    soma 1 should know
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 11:24
    Originally posted by stoker
    soma 1 should know
    considering that the Upanishads are the Theistic scriptures behind the Vedas,hence Hinduism and Bhuddism the substance(?) soma remains a very interesting proposition, considering the numerous references. Bear in mind this makes up most of what we would consider Eastern mysticism.

So ,(in my simplistic interpretation), these dudes founded a whole continental religous movement from tripping out on 'soma'.

A lot of the insights of the upanishads are as relevant today as they were 6000 years ago.
  8. England
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 11:33
    i should know soma 1
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 14:32
    "Soma" is the main product of the Buddha nature
    😡
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 15:17
    Originally posted by black beetle
    "Soma" is the main product of the Buddha nature
    😡
    Are you implying it is not physical?

(btw Russ has told me he has recieved my check.YAY!!!! .(now to work out those finer details ,(of putting in a little picture,etc.))
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 15:37
    Are you implying it is not physical?

(btw Russ has told me he has recieved my check.YAY!!!! .(now to work out those finer details ,(of putting in a little picture,etc.))
    Of course it 's not physical;

Congrats for your brand new star too😡
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 15:41
    Of course it 's not physical;

Congrats for your brand new star too😡
    Yeah right. Its not physical...I had no idea. Like I said a friend and I were speculating it was magic mushrooms or something(?!)

(Wicked! I get to play heaps more games now!!! I'm going to try my 'Benko' openning on all those unsuspecting fourteen hundred or rathers . HeeHee)
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 15:55
    Yeah right. Its not physical...I had no idea. Like I said a friend and I were speculating it was magic mushrooms or something(?!)

(Wicked! I get to play heaps more games now!!! I'm going to try my 'Benko' openning on all those unsuspecting fourteen hundred or rathers . HeeHee)
    The high is solely you -the "magic" mushrooms etc. have no power;

And what are you prepared to do with that Benko after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5 4.Nf3?
    😡
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 16:07
    The high is solely you -the "magic" mushrooms etc. have no power;

And what are you prepared to do with that Benko after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5 4.Nf3?
    😡
    Nah. I'm not there yet. The number /letter sequence dont translate on to the board for me yet.

Like I've heard , the Benko openning is good for only beginners.
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    10 Aug '09 18:40
    Nah. I'm not there yet. The number /letter sequence dont translate on to the board for me yet.

Like I've heard , the Benko openning is good for only beginners.
    Nope; the Benko is a very dangerous gambit for the White who decides to grab the pawn, because the simplifications that lead towards to the endgame (where the extra material is getting crucial) are favorable for the Black. Anyway, every opening is dangerous once we ignore its strategic aim and we do not know how to handle it properly -but that's another story;
    😡

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree