1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 16:402 edits
    Originally posted by howardgee
    I have learned that religious folk are even more stupid than I had thought.
    So since when did you become a theist? I assume it must have occured long ago and you have simply been playing devils advocate all these years.

Just kidden Howie. We all know that athiests are the enlightened folks trying to show us blind and stupid theists the correct path in life to take. Problem is, is that we are too stupid to get it so why continue to debate us and insult us?

Now who's the stupid one? 😛
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have relearned something that I came to the conclusion to long ago and that is that ANY position can be properly defended to the death no matter how obscure/crazy it may seem to others around them. That is so long as the position is properly thought out and prepared to rebuff others arguements.
    So you haven't learned anything.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 17:43
    Originally posted by dottewell
    So you haven't learned anything.
    LOL. Sometimes it feels that way.

In all actuality it has caused me to evaluate my own belief system more and by doing so it has changed some of my assumptions about what I thought I believed. Evolution is an example. I once thought all evolutionary findings inherently conflicted with my religious beliefs but with much study and reflection I have found this not to be the case. Much objection in my mind came from other Christians more so than it did from the Bible that I believe in.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Has anyone ever fundamentally changed their belief on something because of a post/thread in the spirituality forum?

Anyone been converted? Deconverted? Anti-deconverted?

Anyone learned anything ever?
    For sure learning all the time, just had an interesting post by Umbrage thunking me for talking about teleomeres as 'aglets' the piece that holds shoelaces together, he took exception to it and did a right good job of explaining it. That is just one of the latest examples.
    I have a gift of visualizing effects of relativity and such in physics and try to give reasonable explanaitions to people asking questions or posting total bs about phyics. I must say also there is a lot more depth to philosophy that I uncovered reading these posts as Starmann suggested, just got a heavy book on the subject I am going to start soon, 'From a logical point of view'. Would never have heard of Quinn if it had not been for these posts.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    For sure learning all the time, just had an interesting post by Umbrage thunking me for talking about teleomeres as 'aglets' the piece that holds shoelaces together, he took exception to it and did a right good job of explaining it. That is just one of the latest examples.
    I have a gift of visualizing effects of relativity and such in physics and try to gi ...[text shortened]... logical point of view'. Would never have heard of Quinn if it had not been for these posts.
    That's a great book, and Quine is a stunningly good writer.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:28
    Originally posted by bbarr
    That's a great book, and Quine is a stunningly good writer.
    It seems to me a bit of all of us here in these forums, all bickering and namecalling aside, lifting us up by our own bootstraps. I think all the participants are better for it.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 18:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I have a gift of visualizing effects of relativity and such in physics and try to gi ...[text shortened]... logical point of view'. Would never have heard of Quinn if it had not been for these posts.
    You won't regret it, Quine's the canine's genitals! He's seriously affected my philosophical outlook and almost single-handedly made me want to do language for my masters degree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree