1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 09:50
    Has anyone ever fundamentally changed their belief on something because of a post/thread in the spirituality forum?

Anyone been converted? Deconverted? Anti-deconverted?

Anyone learned anything ever?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 10:33
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Sometimes, especially from constructive posters (I have to admit, mostly from vistesd and LemonJello).

Actually, from you, I remember encountering the concept of eudaimonia.
  3. Gangster Land
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 15:29
    Has anyone ever fundamentally changed their belief on something because of a post/thread in the spirituality forum?

I can't say these forums are completely responsible for my shift from theist to athiest, but they certainly played a role.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 16:08

They made me take a philosophy degree, which has fundamentally altered my view on existence.
  5. CA, USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 16:29
    I learned I was full of crap when it comes to evolution.

I had evolution confused with the origins of human beings. Now I know that science doesn't explain the "in the beginning" part .. just what happened after .. and that with a theory not a law.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 16:532 edits

Without question, and in too many ways to detail. Often by having my head handed to me for sloppy thinking.

My whole spiritual viewpoint has been in a re-forming process for the last three years, largely due to discussions and arguments on here—although that process sometimes now requires that I take a break from here. Since I live something of a quasi-eremitical life in the country, this is the main place that I have to test my thinking in argument.

It was through bbarr that I first began to really dig into the “perennial philosophy” across spiritual traditions, rather than trying to simply find one tradition that I could firmly re-plant myself in. That has opened up vistas. LemonJello has helped a lot with that. No.1 Marauder’s recent studies there have helped me correct some errors.

You helped me immensely on problems of language, ala Wittgenstein. Lucifershammer made me see that even a monist might have (need) recourse to trinitarian-type language (e.g., ground-of-being, power-of-being, being-itself—or form/manifestation of being), which has led me to examine more closely Christian symbology from a “perennial philosophy” perspective.

Dr. Scribbles has helped me get a better grounding in basic logic.

My reading has broadened tremendously, based on recommendations by folks on here (who no doubt know who they are).

Okay—I am leaving a lot of people out (I trust they know who they are without my mentioning them), so I’ll quit. Suffice it to add that I have benefited from adversaries with diametrically opposed views, as well as those with whom I find myself in closer agreement.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 17:03

Yes, I've had to modify my views because of discussions I have been
    in.
    Kelly
  8. Cosmos
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 19:21
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    in.
    Kelly
    Care to elaborate?

(Or are you just doing your usual trick of pretending to listen and take note, when in fact you are a closed-minded fool)
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 19:30

Yeah. Because of the spirituality forum I hang around churches and kick the living daylights out of pro-lifers.
  10. Cosmos
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 19:43

I have learned that religious folk are even more stupid than I had thought.
  11. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 19:55
    Originally posted by howardgee
    Care to elaborate?

(Or are you just doing your usual trick of pretending to listen and take note, when in fact you are a closed-minded fool)
    Ah. And this thread was going so nicely, too.
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '07 22:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    in.
    Kelly
    Interesting that you say you've had to modify your views. I suspect I have not been viewing this forum long enough to see it. It's also quite possible that I'm being unobservant or just that the crudeness of the medium makes it difficult to read people.

My views, I think, have become a little more certain but they have not fundamentally changed in any way. I've learned much about theist beliefs but have failed to really understand them. I think for most people, this forum just helps to consolidate whatever views they already have.

--- Penguin
  13. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 12:561 edit
    Originally posted by howardgee
    I have learned that religious folk are even more stupid than I had thought.
    i agree, and i am one...

i suppose i've learned that some people hold some rather whacky opinions, both religious people and non-religious people, and that this forum is a darn good way of gettinig to grips with what you really believe. fast. also that a lot of people do not listen to what you are saying no matter how plainly you lay it out for them.

i have also learned that i have an acute inability to explain concisely what i actually mean. 😕

i lurk, by the way 😛
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 13:50

I have learnt a lot from the discussions both from information from my opponents as well as those with similar views to mine and from having to think about and research various topics.

I have also learnt quite a lot about some theists though I am still struggling to understand why they believe what they do and how they manage to (in my opinion) knowingly and willingly self delude themselves.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '07 16:31
    I have relearned something that I came to the conclusion to long ago and that is that ANY position can be properly defended to the death no matter how obscure/crazy it may seem to others around them. That is so long as the position is properly thought out and prepared to rebuff others arguements.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree