1. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 07:28
    Since I've been away for some time, I don't know if (or how much) this has been discussed yet. So, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.

That said, I was really pleased to see this interview. I think it helped illustrate that whackos are whackos and that they do not represent the majority of people who may fall under similar labels (such as Christian, etc.). It's crap like that that causes irrational stereotypes.

I think we can all agree, this church is full of whackos.

http://www.badtree.com/Oh_Shit!/wmv/Crazy_Lady_and_Protesting_Soldier_Funerals.htm
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 08:101 edit
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Since I've been away for some time, I don't know if (or how much) this has been discussed yet. So, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.

That said, I was really pleased to see this interview. I think it helped illustrate that whackos are whackos and that they do not represent the majority of people who may fall under similar labels (such as Christian, e ackos.

http://www.badtree.com/Oh_Shit!/wmv/Crazy_Lady_and_Protesting_Soldier_Funerals.htm
    Well obviously members of that Church would not agree with you. Surely a whacko is merely someone whos views are so far removed from yours that they seem illogical, irrational and basically whacko to you. Why exactly would a Christian not fall under the whacko label from the point of view of an athiest? Thier beliefs are definately illogical and irrational.

[edit]
    It is not far removed from the use of the word 'cult' to refer to anyone whose beliefs are reasonably far removed from your own.
  3. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 11:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well obviously members of that Church would not agree with you. Surely a whacko is merely someone whos views are so far removed from yours that they seem illogical, irrational and basically whacko to you. Why exactly would a Christian not fall under the whacko label from the point of view of an athiest? Thier beliefs are definately illogical and irrationa ...[text shortened]... of the word 'cult' to refer to anyone whose beliefs are reasonably far removed from your own.
    I think you fail to understand what I am attempting to assert. Quite frankly, if you can not discern the significant difference between generalistic views of existence and the blatently malicious actions of this particular church group, then I'm afraid I must assume that you lack to capacity to engage in a rational and productive discussion with me (no offense). I do not intend to argue for the sake of argueing, which is where I would see this line of reasoning going.

Now, the title of this thread was intended to infer that I assert that anyone does/should agree with me that this particular church group are wackos in the extreme. If you wish to contend otherwise, I would like to hear your rational. 😉

In regards to usage of the term 'cult'. I think it fair and accurate to use the term in regards to any belief system. Period. That said, the term is typically not used in regards to the mainstream as it's general use has been tied (implicitly) to, shall we say, less popular belief systems. By definition, any belief system IS a cult. It simply is not used in regards to ones individual beliefs, or a popular belief, due to the socially normative use of the word.
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 11:46

That said, I was really pleased to see this interview. I think it helped illustrate that whackos are whackos and that they do not represent the majority of people who may fall under similar labels (such as Christian, e ...[text shortened]... ackos.

Oh my.

I can understand some of her beliefs at a very abstract level, but her means of expressing them is extraordinary.

When I say 'some of her beliefs', it's only if she DOESN'T believe that soldiers are dying as punishment for their individual sins, or their family's sins. Because if she believes that, someone from another church needs to lend her a copy of Luke 13:1-5 and John 9:1-3.

Even if the deaths of soldiers do in some way reflect the sins of the country as a whole, what she does is incredibly unloving and, well, whacko.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 11:53
    Now, the title of this thread was intended to infer that I assert that anyone does/should agree with me that this particular church group are wackos in the extreme. If you wish to contend otherwise, I would like to hear your rational.
    wacko: nutter: a person who is regarded as eccentric or mad

I do not have sound on the computer I am currently using, so I was unable to get much from your link. However you have clearly stated that it is a church group we are talking about and not an individual. I doubt therefore that they are all clinically deranged. Any other behaviour they might be guilty of is almost cirtainly not significantly different from most other religious groups even though it may be extreme in a particular direction. Almost all religions have extremists and the behaviour of a large proportion of religious people could be considered irrational or mad by people with different views/beliefs. If the people in question are wackos in the extreme, then there is a large number of less extreme wackos out there.
    Interestingly being extreme should only indicate a seriousness of belief. Many religious people are only moderate because they do not seem to take their religions very seriously.
  6. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 12:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    wacko: nutter: a person who is regarded as eccentric or mad

I do not have sound on the computer I am currently using, so I was unable to get much from your link. However you have clearly stated that it is a church group we are talking about and not an individual. I doubt therefore that they are all clinically deranged. Any other behaviour they might b ...[text shortened]... igious people are only moderate because they do not seem to take their religions very seriously.
    ......................................__................................................
    .............................,-~*``¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
    .......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
    ..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
    ...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.................................
    .............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
    ..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
    ...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
    ................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..).........................
    .................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/..........................
    ..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..........................
    ................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\........................
    ................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
    ................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
    ..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
    ...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
    ................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
    ...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
    ......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\.......
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 14:02
    ......................................__................................................
    .............................,-~*``¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
    .......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
    ..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,....... ...[text shortened]... ...........f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\.......
    That may have taken some time.
  8. London
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 14:33

That said, I was really pleased to see this interview. I think it helped illustrate that whackos are whackos and that they do not represent the majority of people who may fall under similar labels (such as Christian, e ...[text shortened]... ackos.

The site you've provided reminded me of another H&C interview from a few months back:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185563,00.html

Anyone remember this guy?
  9. Cosmos
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 15:02

"Thank God for the Soldiers' deaths" read the placards.

This is totally correct.

After all, God told Bush to go to war with Iraq in the first place, didn't he?

"God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1586978,00.html

Of course this woman is insane...so are all religious people. (or more accurately 'unsane'😉
    The really scary thing is that so is the President of the USA.
  10. London
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 15:13
    Originally posted by howardgee
    "Thank God for the Soldiers' deaths" read the placards.

This is totally correct.

After all, God told Bush to go to war with Iraq in the first place, didn't he?

"God would tell me, 'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."

http://www.guardian ...[text shortened]... curately 'unsane'😉
    The really scary thing is that so is the President of the USA.
    There he goes with his unsane theories again.
  11. Cosmos
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 01:45
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    There he goes with his unsane theories again.
    You clearly don't understand what "unsane" means. Just like everything else you waffle on about.
  12. Forgotten
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 01:486 edits
    I am just glad to see you're back Omnislash!
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 17:46
    ..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,....... ...[text shortened]... ...........f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\.......
    Impressive! Perhaps we should stop bantering with words and simply start drawing pictures to each other (censored of coarse). I find it much more productive and drives the point home better.
  14. London
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 18:05
    Originally posted by howardgee
    You clearly don't understand what "unsane" means. Just like everything else you waffle on about.
    Do I need an hSDR (howardgee's Secret Decoder Ring) to understand what "unsane" means? It certainly isn't in my dictionary.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree