1. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 00:171 edit
    when peter spoke to the 3,000 after the crucifixion it is reported in the text that the people all spoke in tongues and from this we get babblers, etc.

all that happened per common reason is that the population of jerusalem was multilingual and when the crowd replied to peter many different dialects and or
    languages were all used and heard, hence, the "speaking in tongues".

people later began to just babble as this was their way of trying to
    to speak in tongues. no one spoke up and said the king had no clothes.

to prove to each other that "they had the Spirit" people would just babble on incoherently and claim
    they had the gift of speaking in tongues and to others would try to prove that they too "had the Spirit" and would pretend to understand the babble and "translate it".

what a crock !
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 01:25
    @mister-moggy said
    when peter spoke to the 3,000 after the crucifixion it is reported in the text that the people all spoke in tongues and from this we get babblers, etc.

all that happened per common reason is that the population of jerusalem was multilingual and when the crowd replied to peter many different dialects and or
    languages were all used and heard, hence, the "speaking in t ...[text shortened]... oo "had the Spirit" and would pretend to understand the babble and "translate it".

what a crock !
    Are you a Christian?
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 02:31
    @mister-moggy said

languages were all used and heard, hence, the "speaking in t ...[text shortened]... oo "had the Spirit" and would pretend to understand the babble and "translate it".

what a crock !
    Seriously, what would think if you saw somebody walking down the street carrying a cobra in one hand and a rattlesnake in the other and babbling incoherently ?
    Seriously, what would you think if you saw somebody in your front yard with a knife getting ready stab his own son ? And he tells you that God told him to do this .
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 08:05
    @kellyjay said
    Are you a Christian?
    What do you think of contemporary “speaking in tongues”?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 09:12
    @divegeester said
    What do you think of contemporary “speaking in tongues”?
    There are more than one gift of speaking in tongues, and I think they are as valid today as they were during the time of the book of Acts. I also agree some people turn their lives into a circus pretending too.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 09:20
    @kellyjay said
    There are more than one gift of speaking in tongues, and I think they are as valid today as they were during the time of the book of Acts. I also agree some people turn their lives into a circus pretending too.
    I think much of what we see as contemporary Christianity is a “circus”.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 09:26
    @divegeester said
    Will not argue that point with you. It doesn't mean there is a real movement of the Holy Spirit, but the circus is all about the experience or so called gifts, while the real thing is all about giver of the gifts.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 09:29
    @kellyjay said
    Will not argue that point with you. It doesn't mean there is a real movement of the Holy Spirit, but the circus is all about the experience or so called gifts, while the real thing is all about giver of the gifts.
    I’ll be a little more critical than you I suppose, for me the circus is all about money and power.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 09:48
    @divegeester said
    I’ll be a little more critical than you I suppose, for me the circus is all about money and power.
    No, we are still agreeing with each other. We were not put here to build little kingdom's for ourselves. Those that are doing those things for money and power forget this life is temporary. I think the long line of people who are going to hear the words depart from me I never knew you, that a very large portion of them will be from churches.

I had a friend share a dream she had with me. She said as she was standing in front of a church the sky started parting and she could see the Lord coming in the clouds. There were some with her who could also see Him, but many people in front of her couldn't see Him, the church building was in the way.

If its real and God it is for our benefit in our walk in God, otherwise I'd have pause.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 13:55
    @divegeester said
    Like what?

Give us some examples.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 16:02
    @suzianne said
    Like what?

Give us some examples.
    What example could I show you that you are I have in common?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 16:19
    @suzianne said
    Like what?

Give us some examples.
    American TV evangelism. All of it.

Religious TV, most of it.

Collections, offerings, tithing by direct debit, double tithing

Vicars, fathers, worship leaders, prayer leaders, prayer warriors, ribbon dancers

Paid pastors, manses, church cars, church phone line, church pensions

Membership lists, voting eligibility, song lists, chargeable christenings, chargeable christening for the heathen’s kids

Garden parties, luncheons, tea parties and church discos

Rolling around on the floor barking, screaming, swooning, catching swooners, swooner catcher training

Shall I go on?
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 16:34
    @divegeester said
    American TV evangelism. All of it.

Religious TV, most of it.

Collections, offerings, tithing by direct debit, double tithing

Vicars, fathers, worship leaders, prayer leaders, prayer warriors, ribbon dancers

Paid pastors, manses, church cars, church phone line, church pensions

Membership lists, voting eligibility, song lists, chargeable christenings, char ...[text shortened]... e floor barking, screaming, swooning, catching swooners, swooner catcher training

Shall I go on?
    Church discos! That's awesome

YouTube : Church disco!

That sight fills me with both the Holy Spirit and some Ecstasy.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 17:04
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Church discos! That's awesome

[youtube Church disco!]QSje-E9L5PI[/youtube]

That sight fills me with both the Holy Spirit and some Ecstasy.
    If the pull to join the church is great entertainment, the circus atmosphere of whooping, shouting, running up and down shouting. If you hear cries of, "Okay lets everyone speak in tongues now." That is more of an appeal to manipulating the mind than feeding the soul.

There are times where the joy of the Lord is over powering, but it isn't commanded by man its given by God. We are called to lay down our lives and pick up our crosses to follow the Lord. There can be real movements of the Spirit, not as man wills but as God for the building up of the church. We should be going to the Lord with the attitude of I'm yours, I'm not my own. If you give or take away from my life I will praise you. The Church discos I have never heard of till now, but it is so sad in world that is broken with kids taking their own lives it isn't the hope of God in Jesus Christ that is being offered in the dying world, but a Church disco dance.

I didn't even like disco before I was a Christian. 🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree