1. Standard memberRuppster1
    Saved by grace.
    State of Denial.
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 04:18
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    what makes you so sure of these things?
    is it the bible?
    if not, how did you come to know such things?
    if so, why not search it for answers to your other questions?

esp. the psalms for answers to whether or not the nations will be represented in heaven.
    I am a scientist, it is because of what I know about science that I believe in God. I believe in Jesus because I choose to do so. A man has to have a code to live by and I choose the code of Christianity. I also believe that God is benevolent and that He would want as many people saved as possible.
  2. RDU NC
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 04:29
    Originally posted by Ruppster1
    I am a scientist, it is because of what I know about science that I believe in God. I believe in Jesus because I choose to do so. A man has to have a code to live by and I choose the code of Christianity. I also believe that God is benevolent and that He would want as many people saved as possible.
    again, what makes you so sure of this?
  3. Standard memberRuppster1
    Saved by grace.
    State of Denial.
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 05:08
    again, what makes you so sure of this?
    There are many things that science can not completely explain. What caused the big bang? How did the first DNA molecules come to be? How did the first cells evolve to the point where they could pass on their hereditary information? There are many questions like these that science can not answer except to blindly say evolution (which I believe in) or random chance. I think these things are the handiwork of God.

My belief in Jesus is a choice made by faith. I could site the evidence given in the bible of people who saw Jesus after the resurrection, or the actions of the apostles dying for their faith. But this is not hard scientific evidence.

I think the comes a point where one has to believe based on the available evidence and your own faith. It is what feels right in my heart.
  4. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 05:41
    I also believe that God is benevolent and that He would want as many people saved as possible.
    God lost his patience and flood the entire world, killing almost the entire human race in the process. Doesn't sound like He's interested in saving us to me. How do we bring ourselves to put our faith in such a being who is liable to lose his temper and can go on a killing spree?

I am attending the so-called Alpha Course organized by our local church. Still some more weeks to go. It is said that Jesus died for us. We humans are sinful by nature, you see. Even to think of the opposite sex lustfully is sinful. We can't escape such sinful thoughts. But we are just humans, for pete's sake! God, if there is indeed one, can't expect us to be perfect us like him. No matter how many times he sends his own son to us, we can't really be rid of sins based on His definition of the word 'sin'.
  5. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:52
    There are many things that science can not completely explain. What caused the big bang? How did the first DNA molecules come to be? How did the first cells evolve to the point where they could pass on their hereditary information? There are many questions like these that science can not answer except to blindly say evolution (which I believe in) or random ...[text shortened]... believe based on the available evidence and your own faith. It is what feels right in my heart.
    where did your ideas of jesus and redemption come from?
    from the bible?
    doesn't the bible also say that the heart is desperately wicked and deceitful above all else?
    how can you trust the good feelings of your heart then?
    could the good feelings be post-coital bliss?
    wouldn't it be better to trust the bible rather than your feelings?
  6. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:57
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    God lost his patience and flood the entire world, killing almost the entire human race in the process. Doesn't sound like He's interested in saving us to me. How do we bring ourselves to put our faith in such a being who is liable to lose his temper and can go on a killing spree?

I am attending the so-called Alpha Course organized by our local church. S ...[text shortened]... own son to us, we can't really be rid of sins based on His definition of the word 'sin'.
    i agree that we can't really be rid of the sins we commit right now.
    there seems to be three stages to salvation, all of which are ordained and orchestrated by god.
    1) justification - we are freed from the PENALTY of sin.
    2) santification - we are freed from the POWER of sin.
    3) glorification - we are freed from the PRESENCE of sin.

the third one happens either upon the believer's death or the lord's return. until then we must constantly deal with our sin.
    and god doesn't save people for people. he saves them for himself. he is most interested in his own glory and love. it is a wonderful by-product that his love overflows to us.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 17:29
    Even to think of the opposite sex lustfully is sinful. We can't escape such sinful thoughts. But we are just humans, for pete's sake!
    One might even ask why the same God who designed us to lust insists on faulting us for doing so.
  8. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 18:12
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    One might even ask why the same God who designed us to lust insists on faulting us for doing so.
    can a designed thing do something that it wasn't designed for?
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 19:311 edit
    can a designed thing do something that it wasn't designed for?
    Yes.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 19:55

I am attending the so-called Alpha Course organized by our local church. S ...[text shortened]... own son to us, we can't really be rid of sins based on His definition of the word 'sin'.
    Let's say I go to Hooters and I take delight in the generosity and beauty of God's creation in the Hooters' waitresses, would that be a problem?
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 19:59
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Let's say I go to Hooters and I take delight in the generosity and beauty of God's creation in the Hooters' waitresses, would that be a problem?
    Mmmmm...Hooters waitresses...
  12. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 20:52
    Yes.
    so rebellion is a distinct possibility in one form or another
  13. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 20:52
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    could you honestly say that you could leave it that way? i couldn't.

what about the race thing, though?
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 21:35
    so rebellion is a distinct possibility in one form or another
    Can we speed this up a bit?

Tell me why you think we were not designed to lust.
  15. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 21:56
    Can we speed this up a bit?

Tell me why you think we were not designed to lust.
    from my world view, which would be that of a xian, we were designed perfectly. sexual desire does not = lust. i desire my wife, but if i sexually desire another woman that would be lust, by my definition of the word.

also, according to my world view, we were created perfect, sinless creatures. having fallen we sin out of necessity. we cannot help but sin. but we, as xians, must fight against what is in our nature to do. but, i still do not believe were created to lust. we were created to sexually desire our mate, yes. but, not to lust after that which is not ours. women or otherwise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree