1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 19:28
    Originally posted by Starrman
    That's a precursor of human perception, I think, and (time for some more Bad Zen© ) unfortunately also a barrier to enlightenment. When you can perceive that which you are instead of that which you perceive, you're a step closer.
    When you can perceive that which you are instead of that which you perceive, you're a step closer.

A koan! Bam! I like it!
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 09:31
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]When you can perceive that which you are instead of that which you perceive, you're a step closer.

A koan! Bam! I like it![/b]
    Koan, bam, thank you mam. Bad Zen© has a future in small book sales to the self help market...
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 09:37
    Koan, bam, thank you mam. Bad Zen© has a future in small book sales to the self help market...
    Are you going to feed your son spinoza so he grows big and strong?
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 09:46
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Are you going to feed your son spinoza so he grows big and strong?
    Certainly not, he shall be nourished on a diet of Quine, Kripke, Carnap and Davidson, with a side serving of Hume and Sturgeon.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 18:05
    Certainly not, he shall be nourished on a diet of Quine, Kripke, Carnap and Davidson, with a side serving of Hume and Sturgeon.
    And your daughters?
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 19:09
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Might not be here for this one, but if you're discussing Spinoza's pantheism in the Ethics, don't forget the appendix!
    And don't forget the Theological-Political Treatise, where you get the clearest statement of Spinoza's naturalism.
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 19:15
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Theological-Political Treatise.
    Never read it, but I'm reliably informed it's a real page-turner with an unbelievable twist at the end.

Unless I'm confusing it with something by John Grisham.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 19:35
    Is Spinoza worth bothering with?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:38
    It wasn't meant to be a rhetorical question.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:46
    It wasn't meant to be a rhetorical question.
    Depends what you're after. If you want to know if his philosophy is enlightening in some fashion, I'd have to say no (though I've only read the Ethics), personally he bores me to tears and I disagree with most of his premises and conclusions.

However, if you're looking for an different view from the Cartesian style of things and you want to look at the different opinions in that time, then sure, he's worth a read.
  11. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And your daughters?
    If I ever have any they will get exactly the same education, including the philosophies of Gavaskar, Bradman and Warne.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:58
    Depends what you're after. If you want to know if his philosophy is enlightening in some fashion, I'd have to say no (though I've only read the Ethics), personally he bores me to tears and I disagree with most of his premises and conclusions.
    Well, since you started this thread and all, you could say why you disagree with his premises, to begin with.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 10:59
    Well, since you started this thread and all, you could say why you disagree with his premises, to begin with.
    If I'm going to do that, not only am I going to be doing the assignment I have to hand in twice, but I'm guessing that I'll be on my own in the refutation process 🙂
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 11:22
    If I'm going to do that, not only am I going to be doing the assignment I have to hand in twice, but I'm guessing that I'll be on my own in the refutation process 🙂
    Try refuting just one then. I'm curious to see your approach.

(I treat all philosophy as a species of fiction, so I am not in the business of proof or refutation, but it's instructive to see how those who are go about their business.)
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 12:13
    Yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree