1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '11 05:49
    So far I have asked about spirituality and non-dualism, and spiritualism and existentialism -- whether the pair can be compatible.

This may seem like a crazy question: Can spirituality and religion be compatible, can one be spiritual and religious at the same time? Are some versions of the two more compatible than others?
  2. England
    Moves
    25 Mar '11 11:471 edit
    religion is the practice of ones faith and can be changed. a good example is the latin mass once a unaversal practice now a historical fact
    spirituality is a good site for debating faith. not so crasy a question
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    25 Mar '11 13:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    So far I have asked about spirituality and non-dualism, and spiritualism and existentialism -- whether the pair can be compatible.

This may seem like a crazy question: Can spirituality and religion be compatible, can one be spiritual and religious at the same time? Are some versions of the two more compatible than others?
    spirituality is more of a personal faith experience whereas religion is the formalized institution. Short answer: yes I believe the two can (and should) coexist. One should be religous AND spiritual.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '11 16:25
    Originally posted by Doward
    spirituality is more of a personal faith experience whereas religion is the formalized institution. Short answer: yes I believe the two can (and should) coexist. One should be religous AND spiritual.
    That's about how I see it, but there is one thing I come upon when I imagine the difference between a religious person who is not spiritual (or not particularly spiritual), compared to a spiritual person who is not religious (or not particularly religious). I'm not going into much detail, because if the difference doesn't strike you as significant, then it doesn't. But I if I were seeking help dealing some issue in my life having to do with why I am here, or why did my loved one have to die, I would rather talk with someone I regard as spiritual but not religious, than someone I regard as religious but not spiritual.

Of course this could just be my attitude, and there are people who are both spiritual and religious, so it isn't black and white, it's shades of gray.

It seems to me that your point about being both, happens whenever spiritual people decide to regularly come together to share in their spirituality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree