Spirituality on a Chess Site?

Spirituality on a Chess Site?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pale Yellow Star!

Minneapolis

Moves
29 Sep 08

I think it would be interesting to hear views on the apparent assumption made by the designers of this site that chess players would have an interest in discussing religious matters.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Sep 08

Originally posted by patrickrutgers
I think it would be interesting to hear views on the apparent assumption made by the designers of this site that chess players would have an interest in discussing religious matters.
It was set up so that Debates forum would not be overwhelmed with 'Does God exist?' threads.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Sep 08
1 edit

You are living proof that the designers made the right assumption.
You joined RHP yesterday, played 8 moves and headed straight for the spirituality forum to start a thread.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Sep 08

Originally posted by Rajk999
You are living proof that the designers made the right assumption.
You joined RHP today, played 8 moves and headed straight for the spirituality forum to start a thread.
Praise, Russ ... Praise, Russ ... Osiruss, Osiruss ...

j

Moves
29 Sep 08
1 edit

For many people "spirituality" is simply a catch all to include all manner of out of the ordinary things.

If you look at the titles to the hundreds of threads you'll see many of them are simply "off beat" and unusual ideas people want to talk about. Read through the 18 or so pages of threads.

What is explicitly "spiritual" about "Big Foot on Mars"? For many people, if it is zany, off beat, unusual, novel,... well, stick it under "Spirituality".

As for me? I like to testify and teach about the Gospel of Christ which is about spiritual experience.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
29 Sep 08

it's more relevant than a political debate, isn't it?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
29 Sep 08

I'm very surprised to see religious people on a chess site.

I generally expected them to be out in a field groveling around with pigs in search of truffles.

But, I've been proved wrong. They're here. Like a fart in a space suit or Goth in Rome... they're here... spilling their guts and pissing everyone off with their stupidity.

But, what can one do? What on earth can one do?

j

Moves
30 Sep 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
I'm very surprised to see religious people on a chess site.

I generally expected them to be out in a field groveling around with pigs in search of truffles.

But, I've been proved wrong. They're here. Like a fart in a space suit or Goth in Rome... they're here... spilling their guts and pissing everyone off with their stupidity.

But, what can one do? What on earth can one do?
If anyone on this board displays an emotional attachment towards excriment, it is you "Guppy Poo".

It is no surprise that your vile imagination secrets all kinds of filth.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
30 Sep 08

Chess is spiritual.

Illinois

Moves
30 Sep 08

Christians love to share the Christian faith. Atheists love to ridicule the Christian faith. Put both in the same room virtually without moderation and what you have is combustion.

This forum is the flame and we are the proverbial moths.

(BTW, you might as well ask why the web designers would assume that human beings have an interest in discussing religious matters. Are chess players not human beings? Unless... Were you, by any chance, purchased at Radio Shack?)

🙂

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Sep 08

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Christians love to share the Christian faith. Atheists love to ridicule the Christian faith. Put both in the same room virtually without moderation and what you have is combustion.

(BTW, you might as well ask why the web designers would assume that human beings have an interes ...[text shortened]... players not human beings? Unless... Were you, by any chance, purchased at Radio Shack?)

🙂
Actually, christians are COMPELLED to spread the 'faith'. It's a compulsion inculcated by thousands of years of delusions carefully calculated by a few upper placed leaders to control large numbers of humans and subjugate subject peoples in distant lands. Islam has taken this great lesson from christianity. You should both be collectively proud.

j

Moves
30 Sep 08
4 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
Actually, christians are COMPELLED to spread the 'faith'. It's a compulsion inculcated by thousands of years of delusions carefully calculated by a few upper placed leaders to control large numbers of humans and subjugate subject peoples in distant lands. Islam has taken this great lesson from christianity. You should both be collectively proud.
=====================================
Actually, christians are COMPELLED to spread the 'faith'. It's a
compulsion inculcated by thousands of years of delusions carefully calculated by a few upper placed leaders to control large numbers of humans and subjugate subject peoples in distant lands. Islam has taken this great lesson from christianity. You should both be collectively proud.
============================================

Would this include large numbers of slaves and their descendents freed from slavery by Christian theology arguing against the institution of slavery?

Would this include for example, Christian activity to translate Indian sacred text to prove that the wives of deceased men did NOT have to be burned alive?

Did you know that a Christian missionary enfluenced the cessasation of the custom of burning widows alive by translating their own sacred religious writings? I believe the name is William Carey.

Would this also include the large sums of money sent to hurricane ravished Islands from Brethren churches.

Would it include Christian congregations assisting earthquake ravished Taiwan ?

Would it include the schools, hospitals, shelters, food distribution centers, orphanages erected at least under the banner of the Gospel of Christ?

Do you think you are objective and unemotional about your evaluation of the Christian faith's impact on human history? It rather sounds like you're mostly enfluenced by some special axe to grind.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Sep 08

Originally posted by jaywill
Would this include for example, Christian activity to translate Indian sacred text to prove that the wives of deceased men did NOT have to be burned alive?
Thats an odd use of the word 'prove'. It doesn't seem like he proved anything, but rather convinced some people that the traditions they were following did not necessarily come from the source they thought they did, or that there were other different traditions in the past. He used their poorly placed faith in tradition to achieve his goal.

I too disagree with sonhouse about the motivations of missionaries, at a minimum he made a sweeping generalization about a very diverse group of people. But I also believe that you are incorrect to attribute all acts of compassion by Christians to their religion. There is precious little evidence that Christians are in general more compassionate than atheists leading me to believe that compassion has more to do with human nature than religion. I also think that there have been cases of people using religion as a means to conquer / subdue / or otherwise gain power over others.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
30 Sep 08

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Drive for show, putt for dough!

That one dropped well. Thanks.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
30 Sep 08

no religion🙂