1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 09:362 edits
    Sometimes I really wonder where the regular posters (FMF, twhitehead, RJH, googlefudge, RC, et al) get the time to post in so many threads so often - do they sit in front of their laptop all day?? Or probably stay online with their Blackberry or iPhone! I can't manage more than two threads at a time, three tops.

But only rarely is a thread really interesting enough to folllow. Mainly one gets served up regurgitated drivel on perennial subjects like "6000 years" or "where did life come from?" and NEVER, without exception, is there any value added by the proponents of a controversial view, e.g. YECs. The same tired argument is dished up ad nauseum: "Because that's the way it is, so there! 😏 "Typical example: So just because YOU say it is millions of years, does that mean it's true? 😏

No, that's NOT why it's true, but it's been said for hundreds of times in hundreds of ways, and never properly rebutted, that it becomes b * o * r * i * n * g to repeat it yet one more time!!

To those of you interested in a REAL debate on Spirituality vs Materialism, get the book War of the World Views by Deepak Choprah and a scientist whose name has momentarilly slipped my mind.

(Aside: I read the book over Christmas, but it is lying at home, whilst I am sitting here on my balcony overlooking the Indian Ocean on holiday in Glenmore, on the South Coast of KwaZuluNatal. That's why I will have time, for the next week at least, to follow this thread!😉 But I can get to the book next week, if this thread lasts that long...)

In this book, Deepak gives the case for Spirituality, whilst his very worthy opponent makes the case for Materialism. They take turns so that each writer gets the chance to make a statement first, then the other one rebuts it.

Subjects discussed include the origin of the universe, life, morality, quantum mechanics, and many others.

The book makes fascinating reading. Let me say up front that at the end no one "wins", both keep their own point of view, but it is also safe to say that both sides have a better, and comprehensive, understanding of the opposing point of view, something that can sadly NOT be said of RHP "debates".

My own position is with Deepak, very convincing and eloquent.

So, I was just wondering, has anybody else read this book? What did you think of it??
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 09:47
    Having just read your OP through, I wonder why you think it necessary to post as often you do. 😵
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 10:15
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Sometimes I really wonder where the regular posters (FMF, twhitehead, RJH, googlefudge, RC, et al) get the time to post in so many threads so often - do they sit in front of their laptop all day?? Or probably stay online with their Blackberry or iPhone! I can't manage more than two threads at a time, three tops.

But only rarely is a thread really interest ...[text shortened]... was just wondering, has anybody else read this book? What did you think of it??
    Deepak Chopra ( and not Choprah as spelt by you ) is well known exponent of Spiritualism esp.Hindu traditional Advaita Vedantic views. I have read him and consider him to be a skilled writer with great clarity of thought and facile phrasing. He is doctor/surgeon by training and practice. This makes his views even more interesting. I have not read the book you refer, though. The trouble with me is that I am busy in a full time job which has only Sunday as a holiday, with all leaves of absence as leaves without pay. I would like to read more, post more. Time, is, as usual in short supply.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 10:29
    I read his 'Seven Spiritual Laws' back in the nineties, can't remember much about it now other than that I enjoyed it immensely and it set me off reading a lot about eastern spirituality.
  5. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 11:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Having just read your OP through, I wonder why you think it necessary to post as often you do. 😵
    Do you think I post often?

Too often?

😳
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 11:351 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I read his 'Seven Spiritual Laws' back in the nineties, can't remember much about it now other than that I enjoyed it immensely and it set me off reading a lot about eastern spirituality.
    I submit a few cautionary words both for Caljust and avalanchethecat. Eastern mystics had always a hold on young impressionable minds, all over the world. These self styled Yogis made a pile of cash and and caused Hinduism to lose all standing and name among the spiritual seekers. Be aware of a Guru who makes möney out of his disciples and fans. From being an excellent exponent of Spiritualism, Chopra nowadays seems to try to acquire a halo of a Guru. His advice column appears to give too slick answers at times.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 11:491 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I submit a few cautionary words both for Caljust and avalanchethecat. Eastern mystics had always a hold on young impressionable minds, all over the world. These self styled Yogis made a pile of cash and and caused Hinduism to lose all standing and name among the spiritual seekers. Be aware of a Guru who makes möney out of his disciples and fans.From being ...[text shortened]... try to acquire a halo of a Guru., His advice column appears to give too slick answers at times.
    Deepak says -

I in fact don't believe in the existence of time. That's one thing I have to tell you, and the other is that I don't take myself or what I am doing seriously.

And he does all this from the comfort of his $2.5 million house in California.

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/interview.asp?PageType=Interview&Id=167
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 12:13

But only rarely is a thread really interest ...[text shortened]... was just wondering, has anybody else read this book? What did you think of it??
    You maybe interested in this debate 'Does God Have a Future?'-

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/FaceOff/slideshow/nightline-face-off-god-future-10148627

Sam Harris & Michael Shermer vs Deepak Chopra & Jean Houston.

Credit to lausey for showing me this.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 12:15
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I submit a few cautionary words both for Caljust and avalanchethecat. Eastern mystics had always a hold on young impressionable minds, all over the world. These self styled Yogis made a pile of cash and and caused Hinduism to lose all standing and name among the spiritual seekers. Be aware of a Guru who makes möney out of his disciples and fans.From being ...[text shortened]... try to acquire a halo of a Guru., His advice column appears to give too slick answers at times.
    ...young? ...impressionable? ...mind?

😵
  10. Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 12:34

Finally at last someone who is presenting a quality thread [thankyou ] and Deepak is good reading for someone wanting to wet their appetite with spirituality but they will have to eventually embrace the Vedas when they are ready and are wanting to know more.
    The only criticism of Deepak is that he does not have complete spiritual knowledge and in fact he would eventually only confuse the serious student in the end when all the real questions are asked.
    However as I have just said the Vedas are there to take over where the Deepak finishes.
    But anyway the best thread in this forum for a long time. [5 stars xxxxx]
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 12:44
    Originally posted by poker87
    Finally at last someone who is presenting a quality thread
    Are you saying all the other threads here are not of good quality?
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 12:47
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Deepak says -

I in fact don't believe in the existence of time. That's one thing I have to tell you, and the other is that I don't take myself or what I am doing seriously.

And he does all this from the comfort of his $2.5 million house in California.

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/interview.asp?PageType=Interview&Id=167
    He has no right to misguide the seekers then, if he is not taking himself seriously. The Hindu Gurus down the ages have been Sannyasins i.e.those who have given up this world and its attractions and are to live by begging from not more than 5 households once a day. They should not stay at a place for more than 3 days. They are not to talk of spiritualism to all and sundry but to only those who have been tried and tested by them as being fit for this path. But these times are the modern days !
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 12:47
    Originally posted by poker87
    But anyway the best thread in this forum for a long time. [5 stars xxxxx]
    Perhaps if Poker87 was here more he would see all the amazing threads started by another site id called dasa.
  14. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 13:00
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    ...young? ...impressionable? ...mind?

😵
    Well, I was thinking of the seventies and eighties, when Yogi Mahesh earned respectability by being a guru of the Beatles or Rajneesh misled hundreds if not thousands !
  15. Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    12 Feb '12 13:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you saying all the other threads here are not of good quality?
    I am saying if you get the book and read it then it will open up a whole new and fresh way of perceiving the world and life, and it will be different from all the silly wrangling going on in this forum for a change, and that is why it is a really good thread, and it is a good thread for the positive outcome it will achieve if people take up the request and buy the book.

And you will not find anywhere in the book where they teach you to support the killing and cruelty of animals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree