1. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 05:54
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Absolutely not. Anyone who can stand in the cold in Minnesota holding a sign from 7:00 am to 3:30 and beyond should be able to hold a normal job. I break my back at my job, why should I lavish this clown with free money and smokes? The guy does not even attempt to wash the winshield. I offered one of them half of my sandwich and he did not want it ...[text shortened]... t, because his sign said "Homeless Hungry Vet Please Help God Bless".

Go figure...

RTh
    So then, you're complaining because the church isn't doing what you youself think is a bad idea. Hmmmm....

DF
  2. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 11:41
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    So then, you're complaining because the church isn't doing what you youself think is a bad idea. Hmmmm....

DF
    No, I am complaining that the church is sending money to other countrys to feed their poor. Please read the first post in this thread. Chairity starts at home. I just think that the money I give to the church should feed the poor here first and then if their is money left over....... But, in either case as a church that has bills you don't give away the money to pay your bills and then call meeting after meeting bragging about how much money they are giving to the "feed the hungry everywhere else program", but are short on their bills by a couple of months.......

RTh
  3. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 11:46
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    While your memory reboots itself...
    The thread was related to the foolishness of equating the giving away of money with spirituality.
    Any fool can give away their money for a number of sentimental reasons, and there is nothing whatsoever spiritual about the same.
    I have personally witnessed a professional beggar (and heard of others), who live in middl ...[text shortened]... on the side, preying on people's pity (read: stupidity), holding signs to elicit un-taxed coin.
    Closer to my point than I was...

Just want me a little Jesus with out the payola. I hate arm twisting at church. I guess that my idea of faith is scewed. I don't go for a sense of community or companionship, or for that feel good feeling of being a good boy.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 11:56
    No, I am complaining that the church is sending money to other countrys to feed [b]their poor. Please read the first post in this thread. Chairity starts at home. I just think that the money I give to the church should feed the poor here first and then if their is money left over....... But, in either case as a church that has bills you don't g ...[text shortened]... ry everywhere else program", but are short on their bills by a couple of months.......

RTh[/b]
    You are tottaly wrong. A congregation does whatever it wants to. There is nothing wrong with that. Depending on the structure of the denomination in question decisions regarding how money is spent depend to a large extent on you the members of the church. If you disagree with it take it up with your fellow members.

As regards charity, it always feels better to donate to those "starving africans" than to the street bum on the corner. sadly much of that charity is misused and misspent. I know, I have some experience with aid organisations. However the need is definately there and when the aid comes right it makes a big difference to some peoples lives.
    Giving money to the poor in America will probably not help them much. What they need is assistance in terms of education, skills, medicine etc.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 12:29
    While your memory reboots itself...
    The thread was related to the foolishness of equating the giving away of money with spirituality.
    Any fool can give away their money for a number of sentimental reasons, and there is nothing whatsoever spiritual about the same.
    I have personally witnessed a professional beggar (and heard of others), who live in middl ...[text shortened]... on the side, preying on people's pity (read: stupidity), holding signs to elicit un-taxed coin.
    How is that inconsistent with what I wrote above?
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 15:25
    Originally posted by telerion
    How is that inconsistent with what I wrote above?
    As you went off on a tangent relative to crediting the proper person with the concept of the serpent/dove motif, I returned to the purpose behind employing that motif, relative to the Christian being strong-armed by shucksters via the 'tithing is a source of blessing' cr@p.

And yes, that was all one breath.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:231 edit
    As you went off on a tangent relative to crediting the proper person with the concept of the serpent/dove motif, I returned to the purpose behind employing that motif, relative to the Christian being strong-armed by shucksters via the 'tithing is a source of blessing' cr@p.

And yes, that was all one breath.
    Seems to me you blazed that trail. Look up on that page a little farther, and you'll see that I contributed a relevant post.

Hey, aren't you supposed to be teaching those sheltered kids of yours ancient sanskrit, right now, or was it stochastic calculus? My mind these days . . .
  8. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 03:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are tottaly wrong. A congregation does whatever it wants to. There is nothing wrong with that. Depending on the structure of the denomination in question decisions regarding how money is spent depend to a large extent on you the members of the church. If you disagree with it take it up with your fellow members.

As regards charity, it always feels b ...[text shortened]... not help them much. What they need is assistance in terms of education, skills, medicine etc.

I think it has more to do with the ELCA.

As regards charity, it always feels better to donate to those "starving africans" than to the street bum on the corner.

No I disagree. I would rather that the money went to charities here in AMERICA, rather than to another country. Of course that is after the church pays it’s dang bills first!
    It does not make me feel good about myself to donate money to a good cause; it is something that needs to be done. I am not against giving as I actually do quite a bit, I just don’t think it is right that the church is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Giving money to the poor in America will probably not help them much. What they need is assistance in terms of education, skills, medicine etc.

[b]Money sent overseas could have paid for “education, skills, medicine etc.” for AMERICANS.

RTh
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 03:28
    So you are saying that you give to every guy standing on a street corner holding a sign every time? Possible, but I find it hard to believe.

RTh
    No, of course not. But I don't treat him with scorn either. He is worthy of some simple human compassion at the very least.
  10. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 03:38
    Originally posted by rwingett
    No, of course not. But I don't treat him with scorn either. He is worthy of some simple human compassion at the very least.
    I make an observation and you insinuate I am scournful? I just sit in my truck and go about my day.

What do you do....offer them a real sunny smile? Perhaps a tip-o-hat to let them know you are not giving them money but you feel for them?

RTh
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 04:30
    Originally posted by telerion
    Seems to me you blazed that trail. Look up on that page a little farther, and you'll see that I contributed a relevant post.

Hey, aren't you supposed to be teaching those sheltered kids of yours ancient sanskrit, right now, or was it stochastic calculus? My mind these days . . .
    Yes you did contribute a somewhat meaningful post. I must have missed it during my "Pre-Trig for Pre-Teens" module. My bad.
  12. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 04:332 edits
    Evangelist’s just want money in exchange for saving my soul, so does the catholic and Lutheran church as well. Organized religion is for chumps.

Just want me a little Jesus without the payola...
    Is it the singing? 😀 The preaching and hellfire? 😳 Or is it losing yourself in lovingkindness?

Your "little Jesus" is always there just like a dashboard statue. 😲 Consider butterflies? Or stars?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree