1. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 03:16
    Evangelist’s just want money in exchange for saving my soul, so does the catholic and Lutheran church as well. Organized religion is for chumps.

I sat in church with my wife and family for over a month while the pastor hammered on the congregation about how they were short to make their bills. I find out that they were short because they were sending money to feed some people in another country who have no sense to move where the food and jobs are. What about the starving people in this country? Couldn’t they give some of that money to the bum on the corner with the sign that stares at me every day to and from work?

RTh
  2. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 03:57
    Originally posted by Ringtailhunter
    Organized religion is for chumps....I sat in church with my wife and family for over a month, etc...
    So, I suppose the real question is why you sat there so long, contributing to this sham? 😞
  3. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 04:55
    Evangelist’s just want money in exchange for saving my soul, so does the catholic and Lutheran church as well. Organized religion is for chumps.

I sat in church with my wife and family for over a month while the pastor hammered on the congregation about how they were short to make their bills. I find out that they were short because they were s ...[text shortened]... oney to the bum on the corner with the sign that stares at me every day to and from work?

RTh
    Do you give money to the bum on the corner?

DF
  4. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 23:05
    Originally posted by DragonFriend
    Do you give money to the bum on the corner?

DF
    Absolutely not. Anyone who can stand in the cold in Minnesota holding a sign from 7:00 am to 3:30 and beyond should be able to hold a normal job. I break my back at my job, why should I lavish this clown with free money and smokes? The guy does not even attempt to wash the winshield. I offered one of them half of my sandwich and he did not want it, I guess that it has kinda soured me a little bit, because his sign said "Homeless Hungry Vet Please Help God Bless".

Go figure...

RTh
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 00:36
    Absolutely not. Anyone who can stand in the cold in Minnesota holding a sign from 7:00 am to 3:30 and beyond should be able to hold a normal job. I break my back at my job, why should I lavish this clown with free money and smokes? The guy does not even attempt to wash the winshield. I offered one of them half of my sandwich and he did not want it ...[text shortened]... t, because his sign said "Homeless Hungry Vet Please Help God Bless".

Go figure...

RTh
    I find your lack of compassion to be a sign of spiritual bankruptcy.
  6. London
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 00:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Agreed (well, almost). Duly rec'ed.
  7. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:07
    So you are saying that you give to every guy standing on a street corner holding a sign every time? Possible, but I find it hard to believe.

RTh
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:26

I sat in church with my wife and family for over a month while the pastor hammered on the congregation about how they were short to make their bills. I find out that they were short because they were s ...[text shortened]... oney to the bum on the corner with the sign that stares at me every day to and from work?

RTh
    Truthfully, a lot of those starving people in other countries can't move to where the jobs are. Even in the US, where the jobless have many more opportunities and laziness is a serious problem, disabilities and low skills can place finding employment on a timeline that exceeds the human body's ability to go without nourishment and warmth.

What I think is silly is the far greater fraction of those donations and tithes that go to overseas missionary work. I've been a missionary. It's a wonderful experience for the missionary, but it sure ain't worth the ridiculous cost to fund it. And what comes out of these evangelism blitzes? Maybe a couple suckers too poor to find work trade in their real lives for imaginary ones and maybe once in a while the missionary figure out (s)he's peddling a sham.

Aren't there souls in need of Jebus here in the US? Aren't there still doors that even the JW's have missed?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:31
    Lightning round. Who said to be as wise as serpents, but as innocent as doves?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:32
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Lightning round. Who said to be as wise as serpents, but as innocent as doves?
    Prince?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:52
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Prince?
    Close, but no cigar.
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 04:58
    Close, but no cigar.
    Oh for the love of God . . . I can't remember his name. I remember the guy said lots of stupid things and got his @ss rightly kicked. Jesus F-ing Christ . . . I hate that.

Was it Mithras? Osiris? Horus?
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 05:25
    Originally posted by telerion
    Oh for the love of God . . . I can't remember his name. I remember the guy said lots of stupid things and got his @ss rightly kicked. Jesus F-ing Christ . . . I hate that.

Was it Mithras? Osiris? Horus?
    While your memory reboots itself...
    The thread was related to the foolishness of equating the giving away of money with spirituality.
    Any fool can give away their money for a number of sentimental reasons, and there is nothing whatsoever spiritual about the same.
    I have personally witnessed a professional beggar (and heard of others), who live in middle class America, drive middle class cars, and work middle class jobs. They just make a little cash on the side, preying on people's pity (read: stupidity), holding signs to elicit un-taxed coin.
  14. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 05:33
    While your memory reboots itself...
    The thread was related to the foolishness of equating the giving away of money with spirituality.
    Any fool can give away their money for a number of sentimental reasons, and there is nothing whatsoever spiritual about the same.
    I have personally witnessed a professional beggar (and heard of others), who live in middl ...[text shortened]... on the side, preying on people's pity (read: stupidity), holding signs to elicit un-taxed coin.
    Lawyers? 😉 Pastors? 😀 Televangelists?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 05:40
    Originally posted by widget
    Lawyers? 😉 Pastors? 😀 Televangelists?
    Much to my chagrin, I MUST rec you. However, I will point out, there are some pastors (okay, precious few) who are actually teaching the word of God without even hinting at the money.
    Enjoy your rec.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree