1. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '08 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I was not aware that it is arrogance to think that one is right.
    It is when it is unfounded.

edit:

ar·ro·gant (r-gnt)
    adj.
    1. Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
    2. Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 00:531 edit
    Originally posted by Sushill
    Does this mean that the Catholics now admit they were wrong all those centuries? I think that the Lutherans are entitled to some retribution payments.
    Of what value is the opinion of the Pope or Catholics for that matter if you (Lutherans) truly have faith in what you (they) believe?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 01:19
    It is when it is unfounded.
    So basically anyone who disagrees with you is arrogant in your eyes. Great stuff.

I have no idea how anyone could make an issue out of this. The Pope respects Luther. The Lutherans have clarified what 'sola fide' means (in much the same way as Nemesio has been banging on about for ages) and Catholics finds this acceptable. Gosh, Catholics are even maligned when they agree with Protestants.
  4. Joined
    18 Dec '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 21:49
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    So basically anyone who disagrees with you is arrogant in your eyes. Great stuff.

I have no idea how anyone could make an issue out of this. The Pope respects Luther. The Lutherans have clarified what 'sola fide' means (in much the same way as Nemesio has been banging on about for ages) and Catholics finds this acceptable. Gosh, Catholics are even maligned when they agree with Protestants.
    "I was not aware that it is arrogance to think that one is right."

When you think you are right it isn't arrogant, but when I think I am right it is?

Let me make it a bit simpler for you:

The Catholic church has, in the past, persecuted and killed protestants. Correct?

One of the reasons of the Reformation is the "misunderstanding" of the Lutheran view of "sola fide". Correct?

Because of the misunderstanding between Catholics and Protestants about this issue the Catholics persecuted and killed many thousands of Protestants. Correct?

The pope acknowledges now the Catholic church misunderstood Luther and the Protestants. Correct?

Hence; The Catholics shouldn't have persecuted and killed the many thousands of Protestants. Correct?

Reparations to the Protestant community would be a nice gesture instead of a lot of mumbo-jumbo by the guy with the white pointy hat in Rome. Correct?

Why is it that white men with a superiority problem wear white hats?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Nov '08 23:49
    "I was not aware that it is arrogance to think that one is right."

When you think you are right it isn't arrogant, but when I think I am right it is?

Let me make it a bit simpler for you:

The Catholic church has, in the past, persecuted and killed protestants. Correct?

One of the reasons of the Reformation is the "misunderstanding" of the Luth ...[text shortened]... n Rome. Correct?

I do not think it is arrogant for anyone to think that they are right. Now to the questionaire:

Yes.

One of the reasons of the Reformation is the "misunderstanding" of the Lutheran view of "sola fide". Correct?

No. The Lutheran doctrine articulated then and popularly held was completely incompatible with Catholic doctrine. It survives still in Protestant circles. You need only discuss faith with Josephw or Jaywill or Whodey who hold that one only needs to believe in God and then is forever saved.

Because of the misunderstanding between Catholics and Protestants about this issue the Catholics persecuted and killed many thousands of Protestants. Correct?

No. The resultant intermittent warfare had complex historical antecedents.

The pope acknowledges now the Catholic church misunderstood Luther and the Protestants. Correct?

No. A Catholic-Lutheran conference has clarified what is meant by 'sola fide'. No doubt there are Protestants who will baulk at this clarification.

Reparations to the Protestant community would be a nice gesture instead of a lot of mumbo-jumbo by the guy with the white pointy hat in Rome. Correct?

No. There were reprisals from Protestants as well. Catholics were persecuted in Protestant countries. Persecution was not one-sided and reparations would have to be on both sides.

Not all bishops wear pointy hats. The Eastern bishops wear a round mitre.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree