1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 07:08
    Has anybody ever met this Straw man? Robbie in particular is obsessed with the fellow. He seems to pop up quite a lot in these forums and usually has an extreme view or says something easily refuted.

As an aside, Robbie has put forward the assertion that earthquakes never occurred before the first world war. This is a ridiculous assertion that is easily refuted.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 07:39
    Wot! No sandwiches?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 07:42
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Has anybody ever met this Straw man? Robbie in particular is obsessed with the fellow. He seems to pop up quite a lot in these forums and usually has an extreme view or says something easily refuted.

As an aside, Robbie has put forward the assertion that earthquakes never occurred before the first world war. This is a ridiculous assertion that is easily refuted.
    ...... or the "Straw" Woman?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 07:442 edits

Haha more straw than Strawy the straw stuffed scarecrow watching over a strawberry field near Strawingham! What happens to people that live in straw houses? Big bad wolves come along and blow them down and eat the inhabitants up!

The basis for a strawman argument is to my mind usually based on an assumption, some type of fabricated value that has not been explicitly expressed and which ones adversary proceeds to build an entire argument upon. If we were simply less self assuming this could be avoided.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 10:58

Straw men have been abolished under new EU regulations as being too flammable and encouraging vermin. They've been replaced with Polyethylene fibre men.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 11:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Wot! No sandwiches?
    It would probably be a (straw) basket of bread with side plate of possible fillings, not a sandwich per se.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 12:341 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Wot! No sandwiches?
    To discuss sandwiches before midday is an act of barbarism.

*Edit - Kindly note the time of my post.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 12:38
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Straw men have been abolished under new EU regulations as being too flammable and encouraging vermin. They've been replaced with Polyethylene fibre men.
    Okay, we in Blighty will switch to calling them Polyethylene fibre men, and then switch back to Straw men when we win the vote to exit the EU.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 14:32
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That one was noted to be sexist so the next version was nylon covered person.
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 14:35
    This is a ridiculous assertion that is easily refuted.
    Nonsense. There is no evidence to support the idea that earthquakes started WW1.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 14:49
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Nonsense. There is no evidence to support the idea that earthquakes started WW1.
    Sir, I find your underlying argument that sandwiches will one day bring about the Apocalypse totally void of merit.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 17:32
    Sir, I find your underlying argument that sandwiches will one day bring about the Apocalypse totally void of merit.
    but full of cucumber!
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 17:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    but full of cucumber!
    Your theories are full of something sir, but it isn't cucumbers.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 18:05
    Your theories are full of something sir, but it isn't cucumbers.
    genius I think is the term you are looking for.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 19:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    genius I think is the term you are looking for.
    Sir, you have Genesis, not genius. You may not be able to work out the square root of 34567.243 but you do have an ark and a talking snake.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree