1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 13:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The question of success is relative to its time and place. Different religions will address different concerns at different times. There have certainly been religions that have been successful in the past, but whose usefulness has largely run its course. As the predominant issue facing mankind going into the 21st century is an impending ecological cataclysm ...[text shortened]... . That will be the religion with the greatest chance of offering us salvation (from ourselves).
    In this sense, religion will have come full circle. From its early animism, which was rooted firmly in nature, to polytheism and monotheism, which were concerned more and more with the 'otherworldy', which served to increasingly estrange mankind from nature, pantheism will see mankind's return to the bosom of nature and his re-integration with it.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 14:16
    Your best bet is to demonstrate how scientific materialism, by knocking the props out from under religion, necessarily devolves into cultural materialism. Although it is extremely important not to conflate the two uses of the word 'materialism', a case could be made that the one necessarily leads toward the other. Technicism, being the default lens through ...[text shortened]... gibberish ladled up from your moldy theological barrel (which is long past its sell by date).
    That would be more effective than your usual cold plate of gibberish ladled up from your moldy theological barrel (which is long past its sell by date).

LOL!!!!

That made me laugh out loud.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 14:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    a successful religion is one in which the application of its principles and tenets are able
    to make the adherent transcend themselves and become a more loving and humane
    individual and also transmit these tenets so that others may do the same.
    a successful religion is one in which the application of its principles and tenets are able to make the adherent transcend themselves and become a more loving and humane individual and also transmit these tenets so that others may do the same.

This treats religion like a meme or meme complex as at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

which is a reasonable approach to the subject. IOW, I like it. Thanks.

Too bad the thread has drifted.

But the part about transcending and becoming more loving and humane is a variable, not necessarily inherent in all religions, or not necessarily the only tenets being transmitted in a religion.

But successful meme complexes also modify themselves as needed to survive.

Can a religion do this and still remain essentially "pure"? I suppose that successful religions have ways to protect their most central tenets from significant modification. Authoritative bodies, holy books, succession rules, creeds, etc.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 15:32
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    you said that gods designs are perfect, nature is an example of gods will because it is perfect. i have given you an animal that a child could improve. thus proving that gods designs are not perfect.

do you now accept that gods designs are not perfect.
    what a piece of nonsense, will you tell the forum how the design is defective? In fact,
    its self evident that the ability of species to adapt to the environment is a rather
    excellent design feature, the likes of which you materialists could only dream of in your
    attempts to emulate the great artist himself, not perfect, feel your bum, mate, you cant
    touch this. God is perfect, creation is perfect, you suck!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 15:465 edits
    Your best bet is to demonstrate how scientific materialism, by knocking the props out from under religion, necessarily devolves into cultural materialism. Although it is extremely important not to conflate the two uses of the word 'materialism', a case could be made that the one necessarily leads toward the other. Technicism, being the default lens through ...[text shortened]... gibberish ladled up from your moldy theological barrel (which is long past its sell by date).
    on the contrary i don't need to do anything, the fact of the mater is, scientific
    materialism, cultural materialism is an empty deception, why, because it simply has
    no spiritual content and as a consequence is unable to provide direction, guidance,
    purpose or solve the lightest moral problem. Its a God with ears, yet it cannot hear,
    a mouth yet it cannot speak, eyes, yet it cannot see, shall we take a look at the new
    morality and the devastating human consequences of its adoption? Shall we take a
    look at the devastation of the environment under the guise of progress? Thanks for
    the insult its about the summation of your argument, an insult to anyone
    intelligence. Lets ask you how you will solve greed, you have no answer, ask you
    how you will solve corruption, you have no answer, inequality, you are bereft and
    here you are pontificating some kind of hackneyed secular vision devoid of
    spirituality.

Its only a matter of time before you blurb out the usual pseudo-science and latest
    psychoanalytical study as a panacea for all and start to attribute phobias to the
    opponents of your spiritually myopic vision.

Let the dead bury their dead!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 15:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    a successful religion is one in which the application of its principles and tenets are able to make the adherent transcend themselves and become a more loving and humane individual and also transmit these tenets so that others may do the same.

This treats religion like a meme or meme complex as at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

whic ...[text shortened]... rom significant modification. Authoritative bodies, holy books, succession rules, creeds, etc.
    Indeed it is too bad, hijackers rarely display manners though when they are hijacking.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 15:571 edit
    what a piece of nonsense, will you tell the forum how the design is defective? In fact,
    its self evident that the ability of species to adapt to the environment is a rather
    excellent design feature, the likes of which you materialists could only dream of in your
    attempts to emulate the great artist himself, not perfect, feel your bum, mate, you cant
    touch this. God is perfect, creation is perfect, you suck!
    so you are saying having eyes that it doesnt use is the best possible design? even though the rest of the mole rat family have eyes they can use? which one is the best design? the mole rat or the blind mole rat?
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 15:59
    on the contrary i don't need to do anything, the fact of the mater is, scientific
    materialism, cultural materialism is an empty deception, why, because it simply has
    no spiritual content and as a consequence is unable to provide direction, guidance,
    purpose or solve the lightest moral problem. Its a god with ears, yet it cannot hear,
    a mout ...[text shortened]... phobias to the
    opponents of your spiritually myopic vision.

Let the dead bury their dead!
    You must not have read my post at all, because I was making pretty much the same argument.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 15:59
    so you are saying having eyes that it doesnt use is the best possible design?
    you have stated that its defective, how is it defective?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:01
    where did i say it was defective?
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:02
    your embarrassing yourself here, youre straying into rj hinds/dasa territory.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:03
    your embarrassing yourself here, youre straying into rj hinds/dasa territory.
    why dont you answer the question, third time asking, how is it defective?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:03
    so its not defective?
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:04
    so its not defective?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 16:04
    You must not have read my post at all, because I was making pretty much the same argument.
    really.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree