1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:171 edit
    Karoly just posted something that raises these questions in my mind:

What are the characteristics that lead to a religion being successful?

What does "successful religion" mean?

Is it related to and does it depend on the goals of a religion?

If so, who decides the goals of a religion?

Can the success of a religion be determined my examination of its worldly attributes (those attributes we ca assess in the here and now)? IOW, how and when do we come to know that a religion is successful?
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 16:52
    Originally posted by JS357

Can the success of a religion be determined my examination of ...[text shortened]... sess in the here and now)? IOW, how and when do we come to know that a religion is successful?
    i guess it would depend on the religion and what they preach. but in general thinking of the main global religions i would say the only one that can call itself successful is the one that can prove itself to be true.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 17:29

Can the success of a religion be determined my examination of ...[text shortened]... sess in the here and now)? IOW, how and when do we come to know that a religion is successful?
    The question of success is relative to its time and place. Different religions will address different concerns at different times. There have certainly been religions that have been successful in the past, but whose usefulness has largely run its course. As the predominant issue facing mankind going into the 21st century is an impending ecological cataclysm, the most successful religions going forward will be ones that tackle that problem front and center. You're likely to see a rise in nature-centered religions, like Pantheism. Or a Gaian Pantheism, if you will. That will be the religion with the greatest chance of offering us salvation (from ourselves).
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '12 23:47
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The question of success is relative to its time and place. Different religions will address different concerns at different times. There have certainly been religions that have been successful in the past, but whose usefulness has largely run its course. As the predominant issue facing mankind going into the 21st century is an impending ecological cataclysm ...[text shortened]... . That will be the religion with the greatest chance of offering us salvation (from ourselves).
    That sounds like a religion that sonhouse could endorse. 😏
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 00:27

The first question we should ask is why we have religions? Certainly explaining the unexplainable is one answer. However, control is another. What better way to control the unwashed masses than to make sure they know that earthly discretions will be punished for eternity? The promise of eternity in heaven is the carrot that feeds religions.

So we must conclude that any successful religion will explain the unexplainable and instill some level of fear/uncertainty in the sheep while offering an eternal reward.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 01:20

Good questions. Of course this is looking at it from our viewpoint as humans and the many opinions that have developed over time from us humans.
    So the question is how does God view religions and their different teachings both good and not so good? Does he accept them all or does he have "HIS" standards?
    If he does not accept them all, how do we know what he does accept?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 01:29
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    The first question we should ask is why we have religions? Certainly explaining the unexplainable is one answer. However, control is another. What better way to control the unwashed masses than to make sure they know that earthly discretions will be punished for eternity? The promise of eternity in heaven is the carrot that feeds religions.

So ...[text shortened]... inable and instill some level of fear/uncertainty in the sheep while offering an eternal reward.
    Tower of Babel. This is where false religion began with it's false teachings and then it was spread over the entire earth when they spread out from there.
    Most of us know what some false teachngs were there at that time such as a triune set of Gods. History proves that.
    Later when Jesus came to earth he never taught such a teaching as a triune Godhead but it was later accepted into the "church" as a doctrine from non christian peoples. This is one of many pagan teachings that came into the Christian teachings which Jesus fortold would happen.
    So now with this teaching and others adopted into the church, those teachings would naturally cause confusion and divisions among believers from that time until now.
    The true from of teachings and beliefs that were taught by Jesus and his immediate followers has been watered down by pagan teachings and is not a widely taught truth in most religions today.
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 02:041 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Tower of Babel. This is where false religion began with it's false teachings and then it was spread over the entire earth when they spread out from there.
    Most of us know what some false teachngs were there at that time such as a triune set of Gods. History proves that.
    Later when Jesus came to earth he never taught such a teaching as a triune Godhea een watered down by pagan teachings and is not a widely taught truth in most religions today.
    That's crap, religions existed well before Christianity with origins predating the first cave paintings. The Tower of Babel is total bunk. Oh, and totally irrelevant to the subject of the thread.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 02:30
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    That's crap, religions existed well before Christianity with origins predating the first cave paintings. The Tower of Babel is total bunk. Oh, and totally irrelevant to the subject of the thread.
    Lol. If you say so.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 02:44
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Lol. If you say so.
    I do.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 06:48

It depends on the definition of "success" in this instance, i.e. what is the objective of the religion.

For example some religions in America are extremely successful in extorting large amounts of money from unsuspecting but slightly greedy saps who think that giving $10 to Benny Hinn will make them rich or buy them a one way ticket to the happy hunting ground.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 10:201 edit

a successful religion is one in which the application of its principles and tenets are able
    to make the adherent transcend themselves and become a more loving and humane
    individual and also transmit these tenets so that others may do the same.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 10:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    a successful religion is one in which the application of its principles and tenets are able
    to make the adherent transcend themselves and become a more loving and humane
    individual.
    morning robbie. todays the day, i feel it in my water, the time has finally come for you to tackle the....................................spalax!!!!!
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 10:39
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    morning robbie. todays the day, i feel it in my water, the time has finally come for you to tackle the....................................spalax!!!!!
    Robbie has zero interest in tackling that which contradicts his religious beliefs stellspalfie. Unfortunately that has been his modus operandi on this forum for as long as i can remember.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '12 10:45
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Robbie has zero interest in tackling that which contradicts his religious beliefs stellspalfie. Unfortunately that has been his modus operandi on this forum for as long as i can remember.
    thankyou

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree