1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 00:54
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    There is no clear statement in the Bible about suicide. There are passages and stories which can be interpreted to mean that taking your own life is not right. Then there is the story of Sampson who took his own life so that he could in the process kill hundreds of Philistines. In fact Sampson asked God to help him therefore that was a God-assisted suicide. ...[text shortened]... ces under which the suicide took place and chances are he might think its justified... or not.
    sampson, the first suicide bomber.
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 01:00
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In reference to Thread 146470 I though I would open a discussion here about suicide. Specifically

Is it a sin?

If so will all suicides go to hell? Or at least be excluded from Heaven?

Is assisting someone to commit suicide a sin, and a sin in all circumstances?

Atheists, is it morally acceptable for a person to commit suicide?

Any other comments or perspectives...?
    morality of the question depends entirely on the circumstances. suicide itself is simply a process so it cannot be classified with a concrete moral standard.

having said that, sometimes it may be immoral to prevent suicide, sometimes it may be immoral to allow it.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 04:27
    YouTube

Manny πŸ™‚ LOL
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 04:30
    Through early morning fog I see
    visions of the things to be
    the pains that are withheld for me
    I realize and I can see...
    that suicide is painless
    It brings on many changes
    and I can take or leave it if I please.
    The game of life is hard to play
    I'm gonna lose it anyway
    The losing card I'll someday lay
    so this is all I have to say.
    suicide is painless
    The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.
    suicide is painless
    A brave man once requested me
    to answer questions that are key
    is it to be or not to be
    and I replied 'oh why ask me?'
    suicide is painless
    it brings on many changes
    ...and you can do the same thing if you please.....

MASH Theme lyrics

Manny
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 05:171 edit
    Originally posted by menace71
    Through early morning fog I see
    visions of the things to be
    the pains that are withheld for me
    I realize and I can see...
    that suicide is painless
    This is where I got the thread title.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:04
    I think everyone would accept that nobody should take their own life.

The question is if they do, is it a sin and would it eliminate their chance of eternal life.
    Funny thing you have no real answer Jaywill. Or should I say .. I could understand why you have no answer.

If the Bible does not approve of suicide and one of your so-called 'eternally saved' people commits suicide then what ??

The problem with your doctrine is that you are preempting the righteous judgment of Christ by claiming to know in advance. In ALL cases .. absolutely no exceptions .. living Christians wait in hope of a favourable judgment.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:10
    In reference to Thread 146470 I though I would open a discussion here about suicide. Specifically

Is it a sin?

If so will all suicides go to hell? Or at least be excluded from Heaven?

Is assisting someone to commit suicide a sin, and a sin in all circumstances?

Atheists, is it morally acceptable for a person to commit suicide?

Any other comments or perspectives...?
    Suicide is a crime and should be punished with death.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And attempted suicide?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And attempted suicide?
    Obviously, attempted deathπŸ™‚
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 15:00
    This is where I got the thread title.
    Great minds think alike πŸ™‚

Manny
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 15:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    LOL πŸ˜‰

Manny
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 15:04
    Funny thing you have no real answer Jaywill. Or should I say .. I could understand why you have no answer.

If the Bible does not approve of suicide and one of your so-called 'eternally saved' people commits suicide then what ??

The problem with your doctrine is that you are preempting the righteous judgment of Christ by claiming to know in advance. I ...[text shortened]... cases .. absolutely no exceptions .. living Christians wait in hope of a favourable judgment.
    While I agree in principle.....A Christian is given the confidence that a crown of righteousness awaits right? (Of course this crown is not deserved)

Manny
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 15:18
    Originally posted by menace71
    While I agree in principle.....A Christian is given the confidence that a crown of righteousness awaits right? (Of course this crown is not deserved)

Manny
    So in your opinion .. a Christian who SAYS or BELIEVES that he is eternally saved, and who then commits suicide, will still receive eternal life?

Please resist the temptation to talk around the question and say ..as Jaywill did that a Christian is not supposed to commit suicide.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 15:461 edit

The problem with your doctrine is that you are preempting the righteous judgment of Christ by claiming to know in advance. I ...[text shortened]... cases .. absolutely no exceptions .. living Christians wait in hope of a favourable judgment.
    Pardon me for wedging in here as I am not really qualified, but it seems to me that jaywill's post acknowledges the Christian teaching that it is the state of a person's faith, by God's grace, at the moment of their death, that determines their eternal fate, period. Any action taken by the person prior to that moment, whether the action is blasphemy/abomination 10 years prior, or stepping off the top of a building 5 seconds prior, is not the determining factor.

Of course this raises interesting questions such as, can a person be saved without having some sort of conscious act of prayerful acceptance of Christ?* On this forum we non-theists are being told the answer is "no". But the person who blows their brains out might not have any coherent conscious thoughts at all, after doing so. But then on the other hand, do we accept Christ with our brains, or with our spiritual souls, and are our spiritual souls limited by the physical condition of our brains? In brief, can we accept Christ after blowing our brains out? If so, the act of suicide is no more definitive of our fate than is a years-old blasphemy/abomination.

*edit: that is not rescinded prior to death.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 20:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps. But my rule of thumb is: Do no harm to others, Do not deceive, Do not coerce. I can see many suicides as being a case of doing harm to others and therefore not morally acceptable.
    In many, perhaps even most cases, I would agree - not morally acceptable. But then there are those victims of incurable but gradual and painful terminal conditions, whom I could not condemn for choosing an easier exit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree