1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 03:392 edits
    Summum Bonum

"Aquinas took from Aristotle the notion of an ultimate end, or goal—a summum bonum—at which all human action
    is directed; and, like Aristotle, he conceived of this end as necessarily connected with happiness..." (Britannica.com)

Three Strategic/Tactical Questions Relevant to Achieving an Ultimate Human Goal: What to do; How; and When?

Note: Objective/Non-Philosophical School of Thought, Denominational or Cult Driven Comments Only, Please.
    -
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 15:46
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Summum Bonum

"Aquinas took from Aristotle the notion of an ultimate end, or goal—a summum bonum—at which all human action
    is directed; and, like Aristotle, he conceived of this end as necessarily connected with happiness..." (Britannica.com)

Three Strategic/Tactical Questions Relevant to Achieving an Ultimate Human Goal: What to do; ...[text shortened]... n[/i]-Philosophical School of Thought, Denominational or Cult Driven Comments Only, Please.
    -[/b]
    I'm not doing your homework for you, forget it.
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 15:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And why don't you just tell him to do the right thing the right time the right way, and not to get into a foul mood over it if it can be remedied and not to get into a foul mood over it if it can’t be remedied? What happened wi that ole Mark 12:31?
    😵
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:02
    Originally posted by black beetle
    And why don't you just tell him to do the right thing the right time the right way, and not to get into a foul mood over it if it can be remedied and not to get into a foul mood over it if it can’t be remedied? What happened wi that ole Mark 12:31?
    😵
    Your first time on an internet forum, is it?
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:10
    [b]Summum Bonum

Three Strategic/Tactical Questions Relevant to Achieving an Ultimate Human Goal: What to do; ...[text shortened]... n[/i]-Philosophical School of Thought, Denominational or Cult Driven Comments Only, Please.
    -[/b]
    Just because something is an ultimate human goal, does not mean that devising strategy/tactics for achieving it is called for. In fact, putting the goal of personal happiness as one's aim may be counterproductive. Instead, living life in accord with guiding principles that cause one to achieve other goals -- loving your neighbor as yourself, for the glory of God, for example -- may be called for without keeping your eye on an ego-driven goal.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:18
    Your first time on an internet forum, is it?
    Sure thing😵
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:291 edit

"What to do; How; and When?"

Suzianne, I'm doing my daily homework. If you'd like a little friendly help with yours, just say so.

I'll jump a Jumbo Jet and be by your side in a nano.

I'll, also, bring a large Boston Red Sox Cooler jam packed with dry ice and frosty cold beer.
    -
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:33
    😵
    Hey, Beetle Buddie, just strive to be an understanding and loving neighbor thine ownself.
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 16:54
    Hey, Beetle Buddie, just strive to be an understanding and loving neighbor thine ownself.
    Yes, but being loved or loving whatever, still envelops suffering and the risk of attachment. Breaking free from perception and conceptions that arise from conditions will do😵
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 17:471 edit

Yes, but being loved or loving whatever, still envelops suffering and the risk of attachment. Breaking free from perception and conceptions that arise from conditions will do😵
    That's precisely what I was striving to say.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 18:32
    Originally posted by JS357
    Just because something is an ultimate human goal, does not mean that devising strategy/tactics for achieving it is called for. In fact, putting the goal of personal happiness as one's aim may be counterproductive. Instead, living life in accord with guiding principles that cause one to achieve other goals -- loving your neighbor as yourself, for the glo ...[text shortened]... of God, for example -- may be called for without keeping your eye on an ego-driven goal.
    What do you mean by 'called for'? You appear to be proposing that the best strategy for achieving happiness is not to seek it out. But that surely is a strategy aimed at seeking it out? Catch 22?

This reminds me of the age old Christian motivation problem. True empathy is not motivated by selfish interests. So when Jesus tells people to be empathetic to get to heaven, can someone desirous of getting to heaven truly show selfless empathy?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What do you mean by 'called for'? You appear to be proposing that the best strategy for achieving happiness is not to seek it out. But that surely is a strategy aimed at seeking it out? Catch 22?

This reminds me of the age old Christian motivation problem. True empathy is not motivated by selfish interests. So when Jesus tells people to be empathetic to get to heaven, can someone desirous of getting to heaven truly show selfless empathy?
    Right, deciding that not having a strategy to gain happiness (or anything) is the best strategy to gain it, is a catch-22. One must truly abandon the desire for happiness, and not as a means of obtaining it. otherwise we are merely trying to fool ourselves. (I haven't done this and am not preaching it.)

It is just my reaction to GB's seeming interest in strategies to satisfy a personal desire, when the deepest teachings of his own faith say to love God and thy neighbor above all.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 21:42
    More interesting is the question are you able to break free from the conception (+need) to put a laughy emoticon after every single one of your posts?
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 12:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    More interesting is the question are you able to break free from the conception (+need) to put a laughy emoticon after every single one of your posts?
    Of course I am, but that emoticon is my signature; it means I take seriously the world whilst at the same time I take not seriously my self.

Is this emoticon the sole particular that you find irksome at every single one of my posts?
    😵
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 20:00
    Of course I am, but that emoticon is my signature; it means I take seriously the world whilst at the same time I take not seriously my self.

Is this emoticon the sole particular that you find irksome at every single one of my posts?
    😵
    Not all all, most of what you post makes no sense to me whatsoever so I couldn't comment, it just just amuses me, in a mikelom sort of way...

😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree