1. Maryland
    Joined
    10 Jun '05
    Moves
    110403
    15 Sep '11 15:45
    Religion is no more than codified superstition! That being said, theists are therefore superstitious! Pay them no heed.
  2. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    15 Sep '11 15:56
    then the prophets were just wise with there guide on life
  3. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    15 Sep '11 15:59
    Originally posted by 667joe
    That being said, theists are therefore superstitious! Pay them no heed.
    Mmm. Pay them no heed, eh? Perhaps. But I still would think twice before putting two brand new theists on a table, or opening one indoors, or walking under one leaning against a wall.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12692
    15 Sep '11 16:00
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Religion is no more than codified superstition! That being said, theists are therefore superstitious! Pay them no heed.
    Of course, there is some superstition in religion because many people
    have brought superstition in to make them feel that they have more
    control. However, God is the one in control, so we should not
    discard the truth in our attempt to avoid superstition. As the old
    saying goes, "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water."
  5. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    15 Sep '11 17:38
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Religion is no more than codified superstition! That being said, theists are therefore superstitious! Pay them no heed.
    Why should we pay no heed to people with superstitions? Superstitious people can be really stupid (we should help them), have negative effects on others (we should stop them), and in general have a negative impact on rational thinking and scientific education. Should we just turn a blind eye to the whole Homeopathy industry? Just leave all those superstitious people to die because they are taking placebos instead of real medicine?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    15 Sep '11 20:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Of course, there is some superstition in religion because many people
    have brought superstition in to make them feel that they have more
    control. However, God is the one in control, so we should not
    discard the truth in our attempt to avoid superstition. As the old
    saying goes, "Don't throw out the baby with the bath water."
    The thing you are missing is that god IS the superstition (or one of) in your religion.
    There is no baby in your bathwater.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    15 Sep '11 21:05
    All superstitions and taboos should be discarded.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    15 Sep '11 21:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    All superstitions and taboos should be discarded.
    erm, I agree about the superstitions... but taboos can be there for a reason.
    Change it to irrational taboos and I'm with you.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    15 Sep '11 21:41
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    erm, I agree about the superstitions... but taboos can be there for a reason.
    Change it to irrational taboos and I'm with you.
    Lets get specific. You mean something like necrophilia or what?
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    15 Sep '11 22:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Lets get specific. You mean something like necrophilia or what?
    father rapes 12 yr old daughter is pretty taboo don't you think.
    That would count as a rational taboo.

    Necrophilia is probably also an activity that has a rational taboo,
    You might be able to come up with some convoluted edge case where it might be
    allowable, maybe, but the vast majority of the time it is definitely a rational taboo.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91521
    16 Sep '11 05:002 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    father rapes 12 yr old daughter is pretty taboo don't you think.
    That would count as a rational taboo.

    Necrophilia is probably also an activity that has a rational taboo,
    You might be able to come up with some convoluted edge case where it might be
    allowable, maybe, but the vast majority of the time it is definitely a rational taboo.
    (given your examples) I think we need to make it clear that there is that which is taboo and that which is against the law. And I'm not talking about the grey areas yet(necrophilia), I just threw that out as a guage in how you would react and if that ,(or something in a similar vein),was one of the avenues of discussuion you wished to pursue.

    I myself would like to adress some everday taboos like "touching wood",not accosiating with alcohol drinkers,etc.
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    16 Sep '11 07:09
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Religion is no more than codified superstition! That being said, theists are therefore superstitious! Pay them no heed.
    I suggest that wikipedia definitions of the words Religion and Superstition,may be taken as acceptable and as starting point for all the posters on this topic,if we are to debate meaningfully.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    16 Sep '11 07:571 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I suggest that wikipedia definitions of the words Religion and Superstition,may be taken as acceptable and as starting point for all the posters on this topic,if we are to debate meaningfully.
    yes indeed, the op seems to be somewhat confused as if avoiding black cats which
    cross ones path, or walking under a ladder is synonymous with the study and
    application of religious principles. Sometimes you just gotta dumb it down for these
    atheists 😛
  14. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    16 Sep '11 08:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes indeed, the op seems to be somewhat confused as if avoiding black cats which
    cross ones path, or walking under a ladder is synonymous with the study and
    application of religious principles. Sometimes you just gotta dumb it down for these
    atheists 😛
    I am against sweeping generalisations which vitiate the atmosphere of the debate. I am for clarity,so that both sides can learn from the debate. Hence my suggestion.
  15. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    16 Sep '11 08:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes indeed, the op seems to be somewhat confused as if avoiding black cats which
    cross ones path, or walking under a ladder is synonymous with the study and
    application of religious principles. Sometimes you just gotta dumb it down for these
    atheists 😛
    I am giving here the wiki definitions. Religion is a collection of cultural systems,belief systems,and worldviews that establishes symbols which relate humanity to spirituality and moral values. Superstition is the incorrect establishment of cause and effect or a false conception of causation.
Back to Top