Swear words

Swear words

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
08 May 05

Originally posted by Una
Ya must have went to a Catholic or Episcopal Church, they prefer to keep the Word hidden from the masses.
Oh please!

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
08 May 05

Here you go, The Bible, the King James Version.

http://etext.virginia.edu/kjv.browse.html

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 May 05

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Gah, I can find it online, thanks....

You know how I love a link.

ES

(Dang, today I went to church for a friend's kids first communion... and there were only hymn books! I wanted to read the Bible while I was there, but no such luck.)
Try here: http://www.biblegateway.com/. All the versions you want + a search function. Stick it on your favorites and you'll see that RBHILL really hasn't even read it!

PS Jesus ain't being quoted in Ephesians.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
08 May 05

Originally posted by Conrau K
Doesn't Jesus teach that obscene language dulls the mind? Yet i am frustratingly finding it more and more acceptable for poeple to casually drop one.
That's Taoism that teaches that.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
08 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Why on earth would you be expecting someone to hand out Bibles??

Most churches would hand out the readings/gospel reading for the service. I normally take my Missal with me - it has all the readings. In any case, if you wanted to read the Bible while you were there you should've carried your own copy.
my church has bibles on it's pews...

matthew 5:33-37

L

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by genius
matthew 5:33-37
from what i interpret, these lines don't pertain to cusswords. i think he is talking about swearing, as in "i swear to you that i will do such and such" as in making a promise. jesus is saying rather that you should just reply yes or no, instead of something like "yes, i swear on my life that..." ....unless i'm missing something.

the lines quoted earlier from Ephesians 4: 29-31 do peratain to corrupt communication or angry words, but i haven't decided yet whether all cusswords fit into these categories, depending on the circumstances under which they are uttered. if you drop the f-bomb in the company of only someone who laughs and gets some joy and humor out of it, then how is that malicious or evil? i haven't decided yet.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
from what i interpret, these lines don't pertain to cusswords. i think he is talking about swearing, as in "i swear to you that i will do such and such" as in making a promise. jesus is saying rather that you should just reply yes or no, instead of something like "yes, i swear on my life that..." ....unless i'm missing something.

the lines quo ...[text shortened]... gets some joy and humor out of it, then how is that malicious or evil? i haven't decided yet.
yeah- i just read it again and relised that i'd interpreted it a bit wrong. i was thinking the last line kinda meant "f- yeah!" etc...

it was early...

JP

R.I.P.

Moves
09 May 05

Doesn't Jesus teach that obscene language dulls the mind? Yet i am frustratingly finding it more and more acceptable for poeple to casually drop one.
Well Oil Beef Hooked

w

Moves
12 May 05

WTF? Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to swear. Anyhow, I swear at an average of roughly once a year, so I'm pretty good when it comes to that.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
13 May 05

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 05

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
13 May 05

Originally posted by Una
Ya must have went to a Catholic or Episcopal Church, they prefer to keep the Word hidden from the masses.
Ha! Now that really is ludicrous.

By the way, for all your distaste of Catholicism, Una, your nickname at least is of Irish (Gaelic) origin, and not many Protestants have those roots. Like far too many people over your way, I'm afraid your identity and culture (what you have left of it) have become rather garbled. Stop that silliness, or change your nick (to Heather, or Jennifer, or Bethanne, I don't know), or something suitably ridiculous!

Hee hee!

😀

s

Et in Arcadia ego...

Moves
13 May 05

Originally posted by willallen
WTF? Oh, wait, I'm not supposed to swear. Anyhow, I swear at an average of roughly once a year, so I'm pretty good when it comes to that.
I agree, mate. It is really more a question of civility, and linguistic civility at that. Cursing often sounds terrible, downgrades any conversation, and leaves a very bad impression. But, I have to say that over here at least, an also in many other places, as far as I can gather, the language is more at threat from 'Friends' and the like (quite literally).

Allow me to demonstrate: one needs no vocabulary, no verbs, no nouns, no adverbs... simply apply the formula "And I was like..." plus an appropriate gesture ( to express indignation, anxiety, awe, etc. for example) plus perhaps some noise to express such, and there we are. Then insert a few 'Ohmahgod', and you have arrived. That is truly the state of the world today. this is pre- Neolithic stuff. How sad.

🙁

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
13 May 05

Yeah, this was a joke of a conversation. I just wanted to see what poeple might say. Though it may augur serious moral decay in society.
Thank the lard for that.

d

Moves
13 May 05

What the fu*k is the point of this bas*tarding thread anyway?