1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 04:48
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    cuz you enjoy doing that just a little too much. it is like you live for that; criticizing christianity
    Only when it needs done. Seems more and more often nowadays.
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 04:51
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Only when it needs done. Seems more and more often nowadays.
    why do you care?
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 08:25
    why do you care?
    I care about the truth.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 09:33
    I care about the truth.
    You can't handle the truth!
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 09:54
    cuz you enjoy doing that just a little too much. it is like you live for that; criticizing christianity
    So you admit that his original post that spawned this thread was criticism and not stupid as you maintained?
    Do you also admit that you resorted to insults because you had no answer for his criticism?
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 10:03
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You can't handle the truth!
    Probably not, but let's try anyway!
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 04:51
    I care about the truth.
    yes, but why do you try to convince other people that their beliefs are wrong? you should only care about what you think is right.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:00
    yes, but why do you try to convince other people that their beliefs are wrong? you should only care about what you think is right.
    Okay. A little story for you.

Today, as I was walking to work, I noticed in the centre of campus a large wooden cross with a sign reading "What does the cross mean to you?" attached.

I thought about this, and came up with an answer.

The cross, to me, represents 2000 years of repression of women and the poor. The cross represents holy war, lies, murder, torture, corruption and hypocrisy.

That means a lot to me. Theism just seems to drive people to the most depraved, despicable acts "in the name of God", and they even have the gall to claim it's the right thing to do.
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:02
    Okay. A little story for you.

Today, as I was walking to work, I noticed in the centre of campus a large wooden cross with a sign reading "What does the cross mean to you?" attached.

I thought about this, and came up with an answer.

The cross, to me, represents 2000 years of repression of women and the poor. The cross represents holy war, lie ...[text shortened]... acts "in the name of God", and they even have the gall to claim it's the right thing to do.
    but you cant change peoples beliefs on religion, they are too stubborn. so the smartest thing to do is to not get caught up in it.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:03
    but you cant change peoples beliefs on religion, they are too stubborn. so the smartest thing to do is to not get caught up in it.
    I agree that many religious people will not listen to reason or logic. I can try to stop them from passing their lunacy onto others though.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 05:08
    I agree that many religious people will not listen to reason or logic. I can try to stop them from passing their lunacy onto others though.
    the best thing you could do is just watch out for yourself; you know what is right. but some people are too dumb to try anything new
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 06:20
    the best thing you could do is just watch out for yourself; you know what is right. but some people are too dumb to try anything new
    Many dictators have relied on people like you for their continued reign of terror. If you see something wrong but just give up and say "I just look out for No 1" then you will never change anything.
    I think it has already been shown that in the US it is possible to stop creationists from trying to force their false doctrines on the public education system. So why are you so convinced that nothing can be done?

Many Christians to not actually have very firm beliefs in everything they profess to believe. Many simply accept without question what their religious leaders tell them but they don't necessarily believe it. I saw an article recently in the South African Readers Digest magazine that claimed that 97% of South Africans are Theist but only 66% believe in an afterlife.

I believe that a significant number of people who have accepted creationism to not hold very strongly to the belief and if they are shown that it is a false belief they will actually change their stand even though they may remain theists.
    Church leaders know this and many creationist organizations put a lot of effort into trying to spread false information that they themselves do not believe in the hope of convincing their followers to remain believers in creationism.
  13. Joined
    13 Dec '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 00:51
    "Well, I could stop that guy over there from shooting that other guy in the name of some god or other, but I should probably just watch out for myself. You can't change people's minds on religion; there's no point trying to make others believe they're wrong. And why should I care, anyway?"
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '07 02:47
    Originally posted by GregM
    "Well, I could stop that guy over there from shooting that other guy in the name of some god or other, but I should probably just watch out for myself. You can't change people's minds on religion; there's no point trying to make others believe they're wrong. And why should I care, anyway?"
    i didnt say anything about letting people get shot, i did say something about letting people believe in what they believe in.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree