1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:37
    Originally posted by josephw
    Gen. 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering:

Do you think Abraham would have gone through with killing Isaac as God had commanded?

Think through your unbelief for a moment. You are unaware of things in the larger context. That's not an accusation. There's just too much to explain to you in this small space. ...[text shortened]... I'm right. Not about everything all the time, but about some things I am. So are you. 😉
    Delusional, yes. A throwback, no.

Am I certain there is no "spirit"? Of course, no. However, I've never seen any evidence for it, and any tests which have been conducted have always come back negative, when conducted under proper double-blind conditions.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:45
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    How could you possibly know that? Maybe you too are omniscient?
    Do you know of another instance where God told someone to kill their son?

Only God is omniscient. Why make the remark?
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:47
    Do you know of another instance where God told someone to kill their son?

Only God is omniscient. Why make the remark?
    You cannot tell whether God will tell me to do anything in the future.

Indeed, God may have told many people over the last 5000 years to kill their children - claims of that sort are often in the media from crazy people who murdered their offspring.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:47
    [b]"I have tried many times on this forum to discuss the soul/spirit and every single time, the thiests run away."

I won't run away. I'd love to discuss the topic of the soul and spirit.

Where do we begin?[/b]
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And so presumably are you.

Are you that certain there is no spirit? Something you can't see? As soon as you hear that I see the red flags go up in your head.
    I am yet to find a single theist which is willing to answer even basic questions regarding the soul / spirit. Its not so much that I dont believe such a thing exists but rather that the co ...[text shortened]... single time, the thiests run away. What is stopping you from knocking over my house of cards?

"I have tried many times on this forum to discuss the soul/spirit and every single time, the thiests run away."

I won't run away. I'd love to discuss the topic of the soul and spirit.

Where do we begin?

I'm re-posting this in case it's missed.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:56
    You cannot tell whether God will tell me to do anything in the future.

Indeed, God may have told many people over the last 5000 years to kill their children - claims of that sort are often in the media from crazy people who murdered their offspring.
    I can tell you what God will tell you to do in the future. If this blows your mind don't get too worked up over it. It's not meant to say I'm some kind of enlightened prophet. Far from it. But the scripture is clear as to what the will of God is in spite of your objections to it's validity. And it's quite simple too. But it would be fruitless for me to say what that is given our present circumstances here in this forum. It would only lead down another rabbit trial.

"Indeed, God may have told many people over the last 5000 years to kill their children - claims of that sort are often in the media from crazy people who murdered their offspring."

Crazy is right! Don't think that God would do that. Don't think it. It's a road block. A trap to divert.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 13:581 edit
    I can tell you what God will tell you to do in the future. If this blows your mind don't get too worked up over it. It's not meant to say I'm some kind of enlightened prophet. Far from it. But the scripture is clear as to what the will of God is in spite of your objections to it's validity. And it's quite simple too. But it would be fruitless for me to say w n't think that God would do that. Don't think it. It's a road block. A trap to divert.
    You can tell the future? Great!

Perhaps you can tell me why God deigned to cause a huge earthquake here in Tohoku region of Japan today? I believe earthquakes still fall under "acts of God". Perhaps someone should sue the church as God's official representative on earth.

[edit; why should I think that the people who claim God told them to kill their children today are crazy, yet Abraham was not, or even that you are not for believing in the story of Abraham??]
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jun '08 14:17
    You can tell the future? Great!

Perhaps you can tell me why God deigned to cause a huge earthquake here in Tohoku region of Japan today? I believe earthquakes still fall under "acts of God". Perhaps someone should sue the church as God's official representative on earth.

[edit; why should I think that the people who claim God told them to ki ...[text shortened]... crazy, yet Abraham was not, or even that you are not for believing in the story of Abraham??]
    Insurance companies use the "act of God" clause. Sue them.

God tells the future. I read about it in the Bible.

"why should I think that the people who claim God told them to kill their children today are crazy, yet Abraham was not, or even that you are not for believing in the story of Abraham??"

Good question! The answer of course is in the fact that God exists. And as long as you don't believe in the existence of God you will never know the answer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree