1. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 19:255 edits
    TAKE UP YOUR CROSS

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" (Matthew 16:24, KJV).

"It is like the Lord to fasten a world upon nothing, and make it stay in place. Here He takes that wonderful, mysterious microcosm we call the human soul and makes its future well-being or suffering to rest upon a single word -- if. "If any man," He says, and teaches at once the universal inclusiveness of His invitation and the freedom of the human will. Everyone may come; no one need come, and whoever does come, comes because he chooses to.

"Every man holds his future in his hand. Not the dominant world leader only, but the inarticulate man lost in anonymity is a "man of destiny." He decides which way his soul shall go. He chooses, and destiny waits on the nod of his head. He decides, and hell enlarges herself, or heaven prepares another mansion. So much of Himself has God given to men.

"There is a strange beauty in the ways of God with men. He sends salvation to the world in the person of a Man and sends that Man to walk the busy ways saying, "If any man will come after me." No drama, no fanfare, no tramp of marching feet or tumult of shouting. A kindly Stranger walks through the earth, and so quiet is His voice that it is sometimes lost in the hurly-burly; but it is the last voice of God, and until we become quiet to hear it we have no authentic message. He bears good tidings from afar but He compels no man to listen. "If any man will," He says, and passes on. Friendly, courteous, unobtrusive, He yet bears the signet of the King. His word is divine authority, His eyes a tribunal, His face a last judgment.

"If any man will come after me," He says, and some will rise and go after Him, but others give no heed to His voice. So the gulf opens between man and man, between those who will and those who will not. Silently, terribly the work goes on, as each one decides whether he will hear or ignore the voice of invitation. Unknown to the world, perhaps unknown even to the individual, the work of separation takes place. Each hearer of the Voice must decide for himself, and he must decide on the basis of the evidence the message affords. There will be no thunder sound, no heavenly sign or light from heaven. The Man is His own proof. The marks in His hands and feet are the insignia of His rank and office. He will not put Himself again on trial; He will not argue, but the morning of the judgment will confirm what men in the twilight have decided.

"And those who would follow Him must accept His conditions. "Let him," He says, and there is no appeal from His words. He will use no coercion, but neither will He compromise. Men cannot make the terms; they merely agree to them. Thousands turn from Him because they will not meet His conditions. He watches them as they go, for He loves them, but He will make no concessions. Admit one soul into the kingdom by compromise and that kingdom is no longer secure. Christ will be Lord, or He will be Judge. Every man must decide whether he will take Him as Lord now or face Him as Judge then.

"What are the terms of discipleship? Only one with a perfect knowledge of mankind could have dared to make them. Only the Lord of men could have risked the effect of such rigorous demands: "Let him deny himself." We hear these words and shake our heads in astonishment. Can we have heard aright? Can the Lord lay down such severe rules at the door of the kingdom? He can and He does. If He is to save the man, He must save him from himself. It is the "himself" which has enslaved and corrupted the man. Deliverence comes only by denial of that self. No man in his own strength can shed the chains with which self has bound him, but in the next breath the Lord reveals the source of the power which is to set the soul free: "Let him ... take up his cross." The cross has gathered in the course of the years much of beauty and symbolism, but the cross of which Jesus spoke had nothing of beauty in it. It was an instrument of death. Slaying men was its only function. Men did not wear that cross; but that cross wore men. It stood naked until a man was pinned on it, a living man fastened like some grotesque stickpin on its breast to writhe and groan until death stilled and silenced him. That is the cross. Nothing less. And when it is robbed of its tears and blood and pain it is the cross no longer. "let him ... take up his [emphasis added] cross," said Jesus, and in death he will know deliverence from himself."

- A. W. Tozer, Take Up Your Cross
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 19:551 edit
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]TAKE UP YOUR CROSS

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me" (Matthew 16:24, KJV).

"It is like the Lord to fasten a world upon nothing, and make it stay in place. Here He takes that wonderful, mysterious microcosm we call the human soul and makes its future well-being or suffer liverence from himself."

- A. W. Tozer, Take Up Your Cross[/b]
    I know many who profess to follow Him, yet I know none who don't stop short of taking up the cross and denying themselves. Perhaps the idea of having a God who loves them instills them with so much pride that they never learn to love God. They never learn to listen quietly for the sound of his voice. Instead they follow the voice of the self.
  3. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:19
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I know many who profess to follow Him, yet I know none who don't stop short of taking up the cross and denying themselves. Perhaps the idea of having a God who loves them instills them with so much pride that they never learn to love God. They never learn to listen quietly for the sound of his voice. Instead they follow the voice of the self.
    Are you taking up your cross and following Christ?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:47
    Are you taking up your cross and following Christ?
    Re-read the last paragraph of your initial post. The key words are "let him deny himself." This is the key to living a life of truth, love, justice, compassion, etc. If this is "following Christ", then yes. Are you?
  5. Illinois
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 22:12
    Re-read the last paragraph of your initial post. The key words are "let him deny himself." This is the key to living a life of truth, love, justice, compassion, etc. If this is "following Christ", then yes. Are you?
    I trust the Lord to finish the work in me which He started.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 01:131 edit
    [b]TAKE UP YOUR CROSS

"It is like the Lord to fasten a world upon nothing, and make it stay in place. Here He takes that wonderful, mysterious microcosm we call the human soul and makes its future well-being or suffer liverence from himself."

- A. W. Tozer, Take Up Your Cross[/b]
    This passage is essentially the second mention of “cross” (stauros) in the NT (the first is Matthew 10:38 or, if you prefer, Mark 8:34). In Matthew 10:38, the verb is lambano; in the others it is airo.

We had a discussion about lambano before, in which we compared and contrasted the meanings of “to grasp” and to “receive.” However, lambano can also mean “to remove” or to “take away.”

airo seems to have more the connotation of “to lift up, or heave up, in order to carry or bear away.” It can also mean to take away or remove, or conquer.

stauros does not necessarily mean “cross,” but can mean any stake or pale; such as a tent-stake.

Now, Jesus may have been making a prophetic reference to the manner of his death; but he may also have been talking about whatever “stakes” you in place, that needs to be pulled up and borne away in order to follow the Son of man who has no place to lay his head (Matt. 8:20)... That is, this may be a metaphor about “stuckness.”
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 01:31
    Are you suggesting that he is full of pride?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 01:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are you suggesting that he is full of pride?
    Suggesting who is full of pride?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 02:17
    Suggesting who is full of pride?
    epiphinehas.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 02:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    epiphinehas.
    The post wasn't in anyway directed at an individual. Just a general observation.

I'm a bit surprised that you took it to be directed at him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree