1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 07:41
    I don't attend church anymore it has been a few years but when I did I helped on inner city projects. We helped feed people in a low income apartment complex. I also helped in a project called come play for a day were we played with kids in a low income housing project. Helped in a Christmas toy project were we gave toys to low income kids. These things were cool I did what I could to help.I think that Christians should show their faith by their actions not always by what they say. Good subject peace out. Manny
  2. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    26 Mar '05 08:12
    When I was in Oregon I noticed lots of people actually went into the streets and fed others. There was a group of vegans who were mostly pagan and they fed people every other day. The food was horrible, but none of the hungry people seemed to mind.

My parents tried their best to start a ministry in Tennesee, and they went out into the streets and they fed people. They gave away clothes, boxes of food, bibles, even helped people with their bills. They had volunteers that would go sit with the elderly and the infirm. Going to their houses so that these people could have some contact with others. They gave out numerous copies of the pocket size new testament. They gave advice where they could, and I never saw them turn anyone away that asked for their help. If there was a way my parents could help, they would do it.

A tornado touched down about sixties miles north of where they were about two years ago. My parents were at the roadblock with supplies and were the first outsiders insinde the disaster area. They brought food and blankets and clothes to hand out to the people who were in great need because of this disaster.

The news got their later and they were interviewing some of the other volunteer orginizations that had made it. While they stood their doing their photo op for the newspapes, my parents can be seen in the background of that picture that was on the front page handing out food and blankets. They were never interviewed.

I went to the local chapters of some orginizations where I live, and some of the bigger stores, and asked for supplies. I said let's fill my truck up with supplies, toothbrushes, soap, baby diapers, toothpaste, potable water. I was turned down at every single place I went to.

My parents gave away every bit of food that they could find, every blanket, and still it was'nt enough. No orginizations ever offered to help them. I guess they were to busy taking a photo op.

If you're going to donate, I suggest you do it locally to start with. Start a neighborhood project to help people find work. Get a bunch of volunteers and help fix up that old park. Beautify that empty lot. Get things going that will help kids stay busy, and keep them from getting bored.

In Portland Oregon they had an art gathering where all the young artists came competed. You might call them graffiti artists. Buildings downtown were offered for canvases, and old bricks colored with age became the canvas of a new artistic expression.

There are so many little things we can do to help each other out. Take the time to think of one, and do something about the world around you.

Nyxie

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree