1. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 04:13
    Regarding the numerous times this subject has come up in these threads I thought I would start one, follows I guess.

How many religious people here have witnessed on the street? How many have feed the homeless, given out clothing, or helped a wayward soul upon their journey?

I don't ask if you donated to the red cross, or sent money to a tv charity. I mean have you personally gone out and did these things?

Nyxie
  2. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 04:26
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    Regarding the numerous times this subject has come up in these threads I thought I would start one, follows I guess.

How many religious people here have witnessed on the street? How many have feed the homeless, given out clothing, or helped a wayward soul upon their journey?

I don't ask if you donated to the red cross, or sent money to a tv charity. I mean have you personally gone out and did these things?

Nyxie
    Okay, here's my rap sheet.

Witnessing on the street: Depends. If you mean holding up a sign with a biblical reference or handing out fliers toting my personal brand of truth, then no, I have not nor do I intend to. If you mean have I held a discussion about my theistic beliefs in public, then yes. I won nationals in debate with such a topic.

As far as feeding, clothing, and general help. I have. Used to more often before I got married and had kids, but I have to take care of my own first (not to sound callous or anything, just rational priority). I would like to note however, that I do not define myself, or my theistic well being, by these actions.
  3. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 04:36
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    Okay, here's my rap sheet.

Witnessing on the street: Depends. If you mean holding up a sign with a biblical reference or handing out fliers toting my personal brand of truth, then no, I have not nor do I intend to. If you mean have I held a discussion about my theistic beliefs in public, then yes. I won nationals in debate with such a topic.

As fa ...[text shortened]... like to note however, that I do not define myself, or my theistic well being, by these actions.
    You should'nt do these things to search for a definition in my oppinion anyway. I know that's not what you meant, it's just my way of agreeing with you. The topic was brought up I thought I'd ask.

I also have never held a sign or handed out fliers. I have offered advice, in what limited capacity I am able to those who have asked.

I have even given advive on fliers. There was a flier that looked like a twenty dollar u.s. currency bill that was passed around a couple years back. Someone gave me one, and I explained my position. If you give a person in need a fake bill, or leave one on the street for a person in need to find, you are falsifying your intent. I told them that I would'nt want someone to pick it up or recieve it thinking of it as a gift, only to be misled and then dissappointed. I think this is clearly not what the intentions were. These were Christians, and I'm sure they did'nt mean for people to equate dissappointment with God.

This lady who gave me this flier seemed almost offended at firt and walked away. I saw her a couple weeks later, and she told me she had thought about my words and prayed on this issue, and came to the conclusion that I was right. She said she would from then out not use any form of deceptive flier in her ministry to people.
  4. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 04:48
    You should'nt do these things to search for a definition in my oppinion anyway. I know that's not what you meant, it's just my way of agreeing with you. The topic was brought up I thought I'd ask.

I also have never held a sign or handed out fliers. I have offered advice, in what limited capacity I am able to those who have asked.

I have even given ad ...[text shortened]... She said she would from then out not use any form of deceptive flier in her ministry to people.
    Nyxie, thank you. That was a wonderful story to show your point.

Pax Vobiscum friend. 🙂
  5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 19:51
    Will noone else step forward on this issue?

Nyxie
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 20:02
    Will noone else step forward on this issue?

Nyxie
    I do my bit.

I don't kick the down-trodden when they're in my way. I jump over them.
  7. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 20:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I do my bit.

I don't kick the down-trodden when they're in my way. I jump over them.
    Shavixmir, me thinks thou doest protst to much.

For all your cynicism, and posts of sarcastic wit, I have always suspected that deep down inside you are a nice person. I bet you do your part, but that's something you don't wish others to know about. No sense in covering your face with ash to signify your desire to fast. I will respect that you wish to maintain this air of callousness, but I know you're a good person.

Nyxie

8. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 21:42
    I volunteered as a teacher of meditation practice at my local State prison for six years.

Does that qualify as taking it to the street?
  9. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 22:57
    Originally posted by eagles54
    I volunteered as a teacher of meditation practice at my local State prison for six years.

Does that qualify as taking it to the street?
    Yes I believe it does. Of course that's only my oppinion. But you did this to help others? You did it with no monetary gain?

Nyxie
  10. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 23:08
    Yes I believe it does. Of course that's only my oppinion. But you did this to help others? You did it with no monetary gain?

Nyxie
    I did it because I'm selfish, actually. Every one of those prisoners (no death penalty here) will be my neighbor, or possibly your neighbor, one day. I thought it good to give them some basic skills for understanding their own minds.

No, it was gratis, but I did receive as much if not more than I gave, although not in dollars.
  11. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 23:16
    I did it because I'm selfish, actually. Every one of those prisoners (no death penalty here) will be my neighbor, or possibly your neighbor, one day. I thought it good to give them some basic skills for understanding their own minds.

No, it was gratis, but I did receive as much if not more than I gave, although not in dollars.
    Then would you say you have grown spititually or morally from this?

Then deeper questions of motives for helping people was'nt my original intent. I just wanted to know if the actions themselves had ever been done.
  12. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 23:26
    Then would you say you have grown spititually or morally from this?
    Certainly I've grown from the experience. I was able to interact positively with persons that had commited some very horrendous crimes. Many of them believed from being told as much from infancy that they were no good and never would be any good. I never would excuse them from the wrongs that they did but it was very inspirational to me and to them both when they learned that they could change, that who and what they were was not what they had to continue to be. I hope that the cycle of abuse in some small way was interrupted with my going there.
  13. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 23:45
    Certainly I've grown from the experience. I was able to interact positively with persons that had commited some very horrendous crimes. Many of them believed from being told as much from infancy that they were no good and never would be any good. I never would excuse them from the wrongs that they did but it was very inspirational to me and to them both wh ...[text shortened]... nue to be. I hope that the cycle of abuse in some small way was interrupted with my going there.
    And I thank you for it.

Nyxie
  14. Graceland.
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 01:18

Nyxie

Curious Nyxie. Are you suggesting this a pre-requisite of proper Christian behaviour ?
  15. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    23 Mar '05 06:39
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b]Regarding the numerous times this subject has come up in these threads I thought I would start one, follows I guess.

I don't ask if you donated to the red ...[text shortened]...

Curious Nyxie. Are you suggesting this a pre-requisite of proper Christian behaviour ?
    [/b]
    No.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree