Talking of God Figures

Talking of God Figures

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Feb 22

Seeing as different people worship different Gods and I have no reason to believe that any of the revealed Gods [that various believers describe] actually exist as described I have to have some terminology for their objects of worship that remains consistent with my perspective.

Seeing as these Gods, in my view, simply stand as supernatural figures at the epicentres of ideologies, I think to refer to a person's "God figure" or people's "God figures" is the appropriate way for me to elucidate my stance.

The nature of the God figure that does not allow non-believers into "Heaven" after they die is, to my way of thinking, fundamentally different from the nature of a God figure that tortures non-believers in burning flames for eternity.

There are two different God figures right there.

Hindus, Muslims and Jews and others also have their own different God figures.

Hence my chosen terminology.

If anyone finds it "offensive", please explain why.

Moves
06 Feb 22

@fmf said
Seeing as different people worship different Gods and I have no reason to believe that any of the revealed Gods [that various believers describe] actually exist as described I have to have some terminology for their objects of worship that remains consistent with my perspective.

Seeing as these Gods, in my view, simply stand as supernatural figures at the epicentres of ideolog ...[text shortened]... God figures.

You are clearly a harridan of the fifth dominion.
That you are blind to this fact is common to your kind.
Don't expect any help from us, you spawn of the unholy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Feb 22

I find your constant questions, dishonesty and endless new threads offensive.

Does that count?

Moves
06 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
I find your constant questions, dishonesty and endless new threads offensive.

Does that count?
No, I wouldn't think so.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Feb 22

@kevin-eleven said
No, I wouldn't think so.
Pity.

Über-Nerd

Moves
07 Feb 22

@fmf said

Seeing as these Gods, in my view, simply stand as supernatural figures at the epicentres of ideolog ...[text shortened]... God figures.

I think you may want to expand your taxonomy of God figures to distinguish:

1) transcendent God or gods from

2) immanent ones

The great (intellectual) problem for the religions of the Book is to make comprehensible how a transcendent being can be embodied or incarnated. As Tertullian said, 'I believe because it is impossible." The Arian Heresy was never resolved in Christian theology and still divides the Western Roman Church from the Eastern Orthodox Church. There are still Unitarians and Trinitarians. These are all knock-on effects of the incomprehensibility of how the transcendent can appear in the material world.

None of these issues are problems for a religion of immanence (such as Hinduism, or Greek/Roman/Celtic paganism). A God or gods who inhabit this world are completely unproblematic, in this respect; they're just like super-heroes with super powers, but immortal.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
07 Feb 22
1 edit

@fmf said

There is One God, and One mediator, Jesus Christ. God so loved the world [not Jews or Christians only], that he gave his Son Jesus to die so that .. by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. (Romans 5:18 KJV) [all men - regardless of religion], so that whosoever believeth on Him [with their heart] as evidenced by good works clearly identified by Jesus, For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. (Matthew 25:35-36 KJV), will have everlasting life.