1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    19 Jan '24 03:28
    This is what the 10 amount to, seen as modified by Grace.

The 10 suggestions which may get you into heaven.

You should have no other gods before me.
    You may not make for yourself a carved image.
    You should not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
    You may remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
    You should honor your father and mother.
    You may not kill.
    You should not commit adultery.
    You may not steal.
    You should not bear false witness against your neighbor.
    You may not covet your neighbor's house. You may not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '24 05:19
    @pettytalk said
    This is what the 10 amount to, seen as modified by Grace.

The 10 suggestions which may get you into heaven.

You should have no other gods before me.
    You may not make for yourself a carved image.
    You should not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
    You may remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.
    You should honor your father and mother. ...[text shortened]... manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
    Sorry, I don't see the modifications.

Are you saying these apply to Gentiles? Are you saying that Christian salvation is tied to these?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '24 08:09
    @suzianne said

Are you saying these apply to Gentiles? Are you saying that Christian salvation is tied to these?
    As usual PertyTalk doesn’t seem to be really saying anything much at all.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    20 Jan '24 00:01
    @suzianne said

I'm under the weather, but for you, a dear club member, I will try to give sight, since you don't see.

Are you familiar with the unchanging original 10? When a Commander gives orders to his subordinates, they are not optional, because they are commands to be carried out. "Should" and "may" are only suggestions. "Shall" and "will" are mandatory.

Paul took liberty to unilaterally modify the contract for salvation between God and man. He taught that salvation comes through grace, not through works or adherence to the Ten Commandments.

If salvation means eternal life, why would Jesus tell someone to follow the commandments, to be saved?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '24 02:22
    @pettytalk said
    If salvation means eternal life, why would Jesus tell someone to follow the commandments, to be saved?
    I don’t think Jesus did tell people to follow the Ten Commandments in order to be saved.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '24 14:16
    @pettytalk said
    I'm under the weather, but for you, a dear club member, I will try to give sight, since you don't see.

Are you familiar with the unchanging original 10? When a Commander gives orders to his subordinates, they are not optional, because they are commands to be carried out. "Should" and "may" are only suggestions. "Shall" and "will" are mandatory.

Paul took liberty to u ...[text shortened]... salvation means eternal life, why would Jesus tell someone to follow the commandments, to be saved?
    Salvation requires faith AND works.

Paul altered Jesus' message.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '24 14:181 edit
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think Jesus did tell people to follow the Ten Commandments in order to be saved.
    'The' commandments. The two 'greatest' commandments. Straight from Jesus' mouth. Certainly not the Mosaic commandments.

But let's keep in mind that one cannot follow the two 'greatest' commandments without following those ten commandments. It's about motivation.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '24 14:34
    @pettytalk said

Paul took liberty to u ...[text shortened]... salvation means eternal life, why would Jesus tell someone to follow the commandments, to be saved?
    One more thing.

I'm not sure that "commandments" are "suggestions". "Should" and "may" do not prevent complications, they invite them.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 16:54
    @suzianne said
    'The' commandments. The two 'greatest' commandments. Straight from Jesus' mouth. Certainly not the Mosaic commandments.

But let's keep in mind that one cannot follow the two 'greatest' commandments without following those ten commandments. It's about motivation.
    That’s as well as may be; my point was contending that Jesus never instructed people to follow the 10 commandments in order to be saved as PettyTalk asserted.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 10:53
    @divegeester said
    That’s as well as may be; my point was contending that Jesus never instructed people to follow the 10 commandments in order to be saved as PettyTalk asserted.
    Don't you think even for a minute that Jesus knew that loving God with all your heart, mind and soul means that you will follow His commandments?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 02:29
    @suzianne said
    Don't you think even for a minute that Jesus knew that loving God with all your heart, mind and soul means that you will follow His commandments?
    I’m sure he did.

Nevertheless my point was contending that Jesus never instructed people to follow the 10 commandments in order to be saved as PettyTalk asserted.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 08:01
    @divegeester said
    I’m sure he did.

Nevertheless my point was contending that Jesus never instructed people to follow the 10 commandments in order to be saved as PettyTalk asserted.
    Regurgitating previous posts doesn't advance the conversation, as badly as you want your 'contribution' to be acknowleged.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 08:03
    @divegeester said
    I’m sure he did.

MY point is that he did, in the way he worded his later, greater, commandments.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 09:22
    @suzianne said
    Regurgitating previous posts doesn't advance the conversation, as badly as you want your 'contribution' to be acknowleged.
    I stated a fact which demonstrated that PettyTalk’s assertion was incorrect.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 09:27
    @suzianne said
    MY point is that he did, in the way he worded his later, greater, commandments.
    No, he didn’t. It’s not in the text.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree