1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 00:51
    The 23rd Psalm:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I [a]shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside [b ]quiet waters. 3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the [c]paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the [d]valley of the shadow of death, I fear no [e]evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You [f]have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. 6 [g]Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will [h]dwell in the house of the Lord [i]forever." (Psalm 23: 1-6)

Footnotes: a.Psalm 23:1 Or do; b.Psalm 23:2 Lit waters of rest; c.Psalm 23:3 Lit tracks; d.Psalm 23:4 Or valley of deep darkness; e.Psalm 23:4 Or harm; f.Psalm 23:5 Or anoint; g.Psalm 23:6 Or Only; h.Psalm 23:6 Another reading is return to; i.Psalm 23:6 Lit for length of days."

Passages of the Word of God you and your family have found meaningful over the years?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 01:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]The 23rd Psalm:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I [a]shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside [b ]quiet waters. 3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the [c]paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the [d]valley of the shadow of death, I fear no [e]evil, for You are with me; Your ...[text shortened]... ______

Passages of the Word of God you and your family have found meaningful over the years?[/b]
    Genesis 15New International Version (NIV)

15 After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision:

“Do not be afraid, Abram.
    I am your shield,
    your very great reward.”
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 01:44
    Matthew 21:19
    I hate fig trees too.

Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves.
    Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 08:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Passages of the Word of God you and your family have found meaningful over the years?
    I prefer the phrasing and the meter of the KJV of the 23rd Psalm and the Lord's Prayer, both of which I've copy-pasted into this forum on two occasions (recently).
  5. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 13:191 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I hate fig trees too.

Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves.
    Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.
    When you sit down to a turkey dinner, do you just hunt for bones to choke on ?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 15:37
    "So when they continued asking Him,
    He lifted up himself, and said unto them,
    He that is without sin among you,
    let him first cast a stone at her."
    John 8:7 (KJV)
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 08:19
    Originally posted by sonship
    Maybe this would be more analogous if the turkey were just bones to start with.

Just sayin'. 🙂

I get the point though, There are some without belief, that seek for verses that support their position, or just verses to make fun of.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 08:241 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Genesis 15New International Version (NIV)

15 After this, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision:

“Do not be afraid, Abram.
    I am your shield,
    your very great reward.”
    This was just after the Vale of Siddim, and just before God made his covenant with him and he became Abraham. Excellent chapter.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:14
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This was just after the Vale of Siddim, and just before God made his covenant with him and he became Abraham. Excellent chapter.
    When I realized that God told him that God Himself was his great reward it blew me out of
    the water. It was clear that so true too, no gift from God in this life or we could receive would
    be better than God Himself.
  10. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 01:22
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    When I realized that God told him that God Himself was his great reward it blew me out of
    the water. It was clear that so true too, no gift from God in this life or we could receive would
    be better than God Himself.
    Amen.

" Do not be afraid, Abram; I am your shield and your exceedingly great reward."
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 02:52
    Originally posted by sonship
    No, I hunt for bones so as not to choke.
    You know - get rid of the rubbish.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 02:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    There are some without belief, that seek for verses that support their position, or just verses to make fun of.
    Of course I look for verses to support my position!
    And Christians will always look for verses to support their position.

However there are two fundamental differences;

1. When you cite a bible verse in an argument against an atheist it has no validity because the atheist does not give any weight to that text,

2. however, when an atheist cites a bible verse in an argument against a Christian
    it has validity because the Christian believes in the bible. All of it!
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 02:57
    Sonship - how much of the bible is turkey bones?
  14. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 11:273 edits
    Sonship - how much of the bible is turkey bones?
    This depends on your experience and spiritual maturity. If you are a babe spiritually, you well should be directed to the "milk" of the word. If you grow and are relatively more experienced, some more solid "meat" is profitable to you.

If you are somewhat more experienced, what some people consider very hard passages, even "bones" is still nourishment to those whose spiritual "stomachs" are accustomed to hard portions.

What is vain is for an unbeliever to hunt for difficult passages as a rationale to not draw forward to God. I believe as Paul wrote that all Scripture is profitable to the "man of God".

" All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

That the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for for every good work." (2 Tim. 3:16,17)

First turn your heart over to Jesus and tell Him you desire truly to be a "man of God" .

And again Jesus, quoting the book of Deuteronomy, said man should live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

"And the tempter came and said to Him, If you are the Son of God, speak that these stones may become loaves of bread.

But He answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds through the mouth of God. " (Matt. 3:3,4)

If you come to taste God and feed on God, even difficult passages eventually will sustain and nourish your innermost spiritual being.
  15. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 11:424 edits
    No, I hunt for bones so as not to choke.
    You know - get rid of the rubbish.
    The passage you referred to is quite useful to many seekers of God.
    The fig tree there was a symbol of the Israel that God was about to discipline for not producing for God the fruit for His kingdom that He sought. This lack of fruit was actualized in the coming crucifixion of the Son of God by the chief priests.

Of course this discipline was temporary, nationally. But for that rejecting generation it lasted until they died, virtually "from now on".

I hate fig trees too.

It would help for you to better distinguish your commentary from the quotation. Jesus did not say He hated the fig tree. That's the spin you put on it.