1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 11:47
    Some here claim that the earth is approximately 6,000 years old.

Can I please have your reasoning for this claim?

Thank you.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 13:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 13:35
    @divegeester said

Thank you.
    I know your not speaking about me. If so you again are not reading my post at all are you? Must not be because you keep asking the same questions over and over and I've answered you every time.

Read and learn: How Long Were the Creative Days?

What about the length of the creative days? Were they literally 24 hours long? Some claim that because Moses​—the writer of Genesis—​later referred to the day that followed the six creative days as a model for the weekly Sabbath, each of the creative days must be literally 24 hours long. (Exodus 20:11) Does the wording of Genesis support this conclusion?

No, it does not. The fact is that the Hebrew word translated “day” can mean various lengths of time, not just a 24-hour period. For example, when summarizing God’s creative work, Moses refers to all six creative days as one day. (Genesis 2:4) In addition, on the first creative day, “God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night.” (Genesis 1:5) Here, only a portion of a 24-hour period is defined by the term “day.” Certainly, there is no basis in Scripture for arbitrarily stating that each creative day was 24 hours long.

How long, then, were the creative days? The wording of Genesis chapters 1 and 2 indicates that considerable lengths of time were involved.
    Moses wrote his account in Hebrew, and he wrote it from the perspective of a person standing on the surface of the earth. These two facts, combined with the knowledge that the universe existed before the beginning of the creative periods, or “days,” help to defuse much of the controversy surrounding the creation account. How so?

A careful consideration of the Genesis account reveals that events starting during one “day” continued into one or more of the following days. For example, before the first creative “day” started, light from the already existing sun was somehow prevented from reaching the earth’s surface, possibly by thick clouds. (Job 38:9) During the first “day,” this barrier began to clear, allowing diffused light to penetrate the atmosphere. *

On the second “day,” the atmosphere evidently continued to clear, creating a space between the thick clouds above and the ocean below. On the fourth “day,” the atmosphere had gradually cleared to such an extent that the sun and the moon were made to appear “in the expanse of the heavens.” (Genesis 1:14-16) In other words, from the perspective of a person on earth, the sun and moon began to be discernible. These events happened gradually.

The Genesis account also relates that as the atmosphere continued to clear, flying creatures​—including insects and membrane-winged creatures—​started to appear on the fifth “day.” However, the Bible indicates that during the sixth “day,” God was still in the process of “forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens.”​—Genesis 2:19.

Clearly, the Bible’s language makes room for the possibility of some major events during each “day,” or creative period, to have occurred gradually rather than instantly, perhaps some of them even lasting into the following creative “days.”
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 17:26
    @galveston75 said
    I know your not speaking about me. If so you again are not reading my post at all are you? Must not be because you keep asking the same questions over and over and I've answered you every time.

What about the length of the creative days? Were they literally 24 hours long? Some claim that because Moses​—the writer of G ...[text shortened]... adually rather than instantly, perhaps some of them even lasting into the following creative “days.”
    Are not a book in your holy book attributed to Moses but give details of the death of Moses ??
    Pretty good for a fictional character .
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 17:43
    @galveston75 said

What about the length of the creative days? Were they literally 24 hours long? Some claim that because Moses​—the writer of G ...[text shortened]... adually rather than instantly, perhaps some of them even lasting into the following creative “days.”
    Why are you explaining about how many days it took God to create the earth when I am asking how old the earth is?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 18:22
    @divegeester said

Thank you.
    Bernie Sanders was Adam's cousin and swears they were the only people around at the time.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 18:30
    @whodey said
    Bernie Sanders was Adam's cousin and swears they were the only people around at the time.
    Anything to say on the OP?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 21:30
    @divegeester said
    Why are you explaining about how many days it took God to create the earth when I am asking how old the earth is?
    What? This answers it for you? Really?
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 21:39
    @caissad4 said
    Are not a book in your holy book attributed to Moses but give details of the death of Moses ??
    Pretty good for a fictional character .
    You can believe what you want. I don't care. But how will you handle it if God ask you sometime in the future why you not only doubted his existence but were somewhat careless about it? No fear?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '19 23:381 edit
    @divegeester said
    Anything to say on the OP?
    I'm an old earth creationist, so no.

I believe you are only here to belittle young earth creationists so don't let me spoil your fun.

Time is short, ya know.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 00:25
    @whodey said
    I believe you are only here to belittle young earth creationists so don't let me spoil your fun.
    Do you think the theories underpinning young earth creationism should not be discussed at all? How would you have worded divegeester's OP so that it wasn't, in your view, belittling? Almost every single word you post on the debates forum seems intended to belittle people with whom you disagree, so I am curious as to how you'd have written this thread's OP.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 01:34
    @fmf said
    Do you think the theories underpinning young earth creationism should not be discussed at all? How would you have worded divegeester's OP so that it wasn't, in your view, belittling? Almost every single word you post on the debates forum seems intended to belittle people with whom you disagree, so I am curious as to how you'd have written this thread's OP.
    This has been talked about to death on this site, yet young earth creationists seem to want to remain what they are.

Why not just let them be? It's not like they believe that carbon emissions will destroy the earth in 12 years or something as bizarre.
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 04:02
    @galveston75 said
    You can believe what you want. I don't care. But how will you handle it if God ask you sometime in the future why you not only doubted his existence but were somewhat careless about it? No fear?
    You did not answer the question.
    Why does a book in your holy, holy book , which attributed to Moses, give account of the death of Moses ?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 04:22
    @whodey said
    This has been talked about to death on this site, yet young earth creationists seem to want to remain what they are.

Why not just let them be? It's not like they believe that carbon emissions will destroy the earth in 12 years or something as bizarre.
    I don't see why you are agitating for it not to be discussed.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '19 04:23
    @whodey said
    Why not just let them be?
    How would you have worded divegeester's OP so that it wasn't, in your view, 'belittling'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree