1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 15:56
    @galveston75 said
    No we have that covered too.

par. 3 The last chapter, containing the record of the death of Moses, may have been added by Joshua or by High Priest Eleazar.
    So it seems that the actual author of that book is unknown. I wonder what other parts of it are just stories passed down by word of mouth. Certainly more than you are willing to consider.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 19:022 edits
    @galveston75 said
    I'm not "dodging" anything. You love that word don't you? Anyway the answer is there but for some reason you don't get it so here ya go?

"I don't know" It could be fifty thousand years old or fifty bazillion years old. Do you know? I would say God knows, right? Why don't you ask him?
    So, with those words, you diss a couple hundred years of science. We know about radiocarbon dating, we know the limitations of that dating, when to believe it but that only goes back 50K years or so. There are a dozen other dating methods proven in labs a million times over like lead slowly becoming a stable visotope after a long period of time. Samarian-147 is useful for really old dating, a half life of 10 billion years.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/introchem/chapter/dating-using-radioactive-decay/

A short intro of decay as a clock. But of course you will just diss all that as unproven BS. Totally expected.

Another short bit, uranium slowly decays to lead and we can tell how far down the line a sample has gone going from uranium and ending in lead.

https://www.americangeosciences.org/education/k5geosource/content/fossils/how-can-we-tell-how-old-rocks-are
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 19:321 edit
    @caissad4 said
    So it seems that the actual author of that book is unknown. I wonder what other parts of it are just stories passed down by word of mouth. Certainly more than you are willing to consider.
    Well the actual author is God. I'm sure you don't agree but that's the way it is. The humans that actually pinned the 66 different books by some 40 men over the course of 1,600 years, and many of them at times didn't understand what they were writing but knew to write what he was telling them to the word.
    As more and more time and thru digs that expose writings and events the more that this was really done by the humans and had to be inspired by god. Much of the writers did not over lap and they never knew each other but yet none of the scriptures contradict each other and many confirm what others wrote about things that happened in the past or that would happen in the future.
    Also I consider all options when it comes to what I believe or not believe. No one forces me to be a JW. If I was not convinced that this had God with them, believe me I would have nothing to do with any religion.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 19:37
    @sonhouse said
    So, with those words, you diss a couple hundred years of science. We know about radiocarbon dating, we know the limitations of that dating, when to believe it but that only goes back 50K years or so. There are a dozen other dating methods proven in labs a million times over like lead slowly becoming a stable visotope after a long period of time. Samarian-147 is useful for re ...[text shortened]... /www.americangeosciences.org/education/k5geosource/content/fossils/how-can-we-tell-how-old-rocks-are
    Are you writing this to me or someone else? You don't have to use that kind of speech to me. Not cool.
    I'm not dissing anything and I do understand radio carbon dating. The numbers I said were not real but just explaining that no one really knows how long this "day" actually is.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 20:38
    @galveston75 said
    You understand wrong!!!!! This has been explained to you many times.
    Jeez, I just read I JW site.

So why don’t you correct me instead of behaving like a 10 year old.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 05:12
    @moonbus said
    I am a non-theist, and I believe that the preponderance of evidence is compellingly in favor of an old Earth (in billions of years) and an even older universe, and, moreover, that all life forms did not appear at the same time (plus or minus a few hours), to wit, that evolution is not 'just a theory' but really happened. Evolution is incompatible with a young Earth.
    Are you able to provide any insight into the question in the OP?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 05:32
    @galveston75 said
    Also I consider all options when it comes to what I believe or not believe. No one forces me to be a JW. If I was not convinced that this had God with them, believe me I would have nothing to do with any religion.
    What would you do if you believed in the Hindu Gods and no one was forcing you to be a Hindu?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 05:52
    @fmf said
    What would you do if you believed in the Hindu Gods and no one was forcing you to be a Hindu?
    Despite being brought up in JW home Galveston75 has “known thousands of Christians” and “considered all options” regarding his beliefs.

What an incredible life.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '19 07:26
    @galveston75 said
    Are you writing this to me or someone else? You don't have to use that kind of speech to me. Not cool.
    I'm not dissing anything and I do understand radio carbon dating. The numbers I said were not real but just explaining that no one really knows how long this "day" actually is.
    Radiocarbon dating? You know full well it poops out at 50K years back and is worthless as a dating tool for the age of Earth questions.
    Are you now dissing the entire decay based clocks proven a thousand times over? Uranium decays to lead but VERY slowly and they know EXACTLY the rate of decay and not only that but there are a dozen other decay products with various date usefulness so they don't just depend on one dating technique but that can show decay A coincides with decay B and so forth. You say you know about carbon dating. Do you know WHY it works? Where the isotopes come from that makes it possible? Tell me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree