1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 17:33
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Thanks Manny. Read the posts in the thread so far. We are not referring to the present OT.
    Ok my fault LOL we are talking Septuagint 🙂 However then 2000 yrs ago or now the O.T. is important.

Manny
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 18:18
    Originally posted by menace71
    Ok my fault LOL we are talking Septuagint 🙂 However then 2000 yrs ago or now the O.T. is important.

Manny
    Do you have any comment on the differences between the Septuagint and the OT in the KJV?
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 17:30
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Do you have any comment on the differences between the Septuagint and the OT in the KJV?
    No this is an issue I'm not that familiar with. I understand Septuagint is the Greek translation of the O.T. and I imagine there would be a difference in the translations such as the Greek O.T. vs the Hebrew but I bet it's minimal. I think I remember reading that some believe the Septuagint is slanted by the ones who translated it from the Hebrew. (was it not 70 individuals?) I'm not a fan of the KJV anyway. I believe it is archaic as far as we don't use that version of English anymore. I think a good translation would take all manuscripts into account. As far as what the Apostles used I would imagine Paul used Greek and Hebrew or at least understood as I believe Paul must have spoken and understood several languages.

Manny
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 17:33
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint

I reading about it now

Manny
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 18:35
    Originally posted by menace71
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint

I reading about it now

Manny
    Glad to hear that. I would be interested in hearing your views of the apocryphal books, particularly whether or not it contains anything which runs contrary to your current beliefs.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    27 Jun '12 15:10
    Originally posted by JS357
    OK so the next question for me is, were the 70 Hebrew texts that ended up in the Septuagint in koine Greek, somehow privileged and special before then, or did their historical significance arise because or at least, after, they were translated into the Greek?
    I have bothered about this reference to the 70 books in the Septuagint and never bothered to check it out. It is confusing the 70 authors with the number of books. This is an example of what google threw up.

According to an ancient document called the Letter of Aristeas, it is believed that 70 to 72 Jewish scholars were commissioned during the reign of Ptolemy Philadelphus to carry out the task of translation. The term “Septuagint” means seventy in Latin, and the text is so named to the credit of these 70 scholars.

Septuagint - Influence on Christianity
    The Septuagint was also a source of the Old Testament for early Christians during the first few centuries AD. Many early Christians spoke and read Greek, thus they relied on the Septuagint translation for most of their understanding of the Old Testament. The New Testament writers also relied heavily on the Septuagint, as a majority of Old Testament quotes cited in the New Testament are quoted directly from the Septuagint (others are quoted from the Hebrew texts). Greek church fathers are also known to have quoted from the Septuagint. Even today, the Eastern Orthodox Church relies on the Septuagint for its Old Testament teachings. Some modern Bible translations also use the Septuagint along side Hebrew manuscripts as their source text.

Septuagint - What Does It Contain?
    The Septuagint contains the standard 39 books of the Old Testament canon, as well as certain apocryphal books. The term "Apocrypha" was coined by the fifth-century biblical scholar, Jerome, and generally refers to the set of ancient Jewish writings written during the period between the last book in the Jewish scriptures, Malachi, and the arrival of Jesus Christ. The apocryphal books include Judith, Tobit, Baruch, Sirach (or Ecclesiasticus), the Wisdom of Solomon, First and Second Maccabees, the two Books of Esdras, additions to the Book of Esther, additions to the Book of Daniel, and the Prayer of Manasseh.

The Apocryphal books were included in the Septuagint for historical and religious purposes, but are not recognized by Protestant Christians or Orthodox Jews as canonical (inspired by God). Most reformed teachers will point out that the New Testament writers never quoted from the Apocryphal books, and that the Apocrypha was never considered part of the canonical Jewish scripture. However, the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox churches include the Apocrypha in their Bible (except for the books of Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh).
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '12 15:45
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I have bothered about this reference to the 70 books in the Septuagint and never bothered to check it out. It is confusing the 70 authors with the number of books. This is an example of what google threw up.

According to an ancient document called the Letter of Aristeas, it is believed that 70 to 72 Jewish scholars were commissioned during the re ...[text shortened]... Apocrypha in their Bible (except for the books of Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh).
    Thanks for the correction of my misunderstanding of the seventy.

I am concluding that a believer's list of definitively canonical books are those that are defined as such by the authority that person recognizes; meaning at bottom that it is up to each believer (to the extent that the believer chooses his/her authority).

There also appear to be some authorities that classify the apocrypha as part of the canon for "edification" but not for deciding matters of faith. http://www.justforcatholics.org/a108.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree