1. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 12:25
    Does it bother any Christian out there that this Old Testament is not being used anymore.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 14:09
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Does it bother any Christian out there that this Old Testament is not being used anymore.
    ?!?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 14:11
    Originally posted by jaywill
    ?!?
    Is there a question?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 14:281 edit
    Is there a question?
    Sounded like it to me. He is saying Christians pretty much are taught that the laws of the OT are superseded by the NT and thus it is ok to just ignore the OT.

They would look at verses in Leviticus where it says, for instance, a man is worth 50 shekels and a woman 35 shekels,

Now modern Christians seem on the surface at least to agree that women are = to men and so they would disregard that verse. In private amongst a men only crowd they might admit to just giving lip service to that concept.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 14:43
    Is there a question?
    No. Not anymore. I think I see where you are about to go. You are probably about to get into legalism, Moses Law keeping as the normal Christian life.

So you preface that with "The Old Testament is not taught to Christians anymore."

That's kind of where your headed. Right ?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 14:57
    No. Not anymore. I think I see where you are about to go. You are probably about to get into legalism, Moses Law keeping as the normal Christian life.

So you preface that with "The Old Testament is not taught to Christians anymore."

That's kind of where your headed. Right ?
    Wrong. The Old Testement has much more than the Law of Moses.

The fact that you constantly refer to something called 'legalism' [in a derogatory way] when referring to my repeating the doctrine of Christ means you have a problem with the doctrine of Christ.

So is there a question about my wondering if there is a problem with the Septuagint not being used anymore?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jun '12 15:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sounded like it to me. He is saying Christians pretty much are taught that the laws of the OT are superseded by the NT and thus it is ok to just ignore the OT.

They would look at verses in Leviticus where it says, for instance, a man is worth 50 shekels and a woman 35 shekels,

Now modern Christians seem on the surface at least to agree that women are ...[text shortened]... In private amongst a men only crowd they might admit to just giving lip service to that concept.
    There is a lot more to scripture than Law of Moses vs The Law of Christ.

This is a thread for people interested in the topic. Please do not pollute it with your personal side-issues. When you all are arguing about your creation or 'is there a God' I do not interfere or side-tract the topic. Maybe you can show me the same regard. Thanks.
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 00:491 edit
    Wrong. The Old Testement has much more than the Law of Moses.

The fact that you constantly refer to something called 'legalism' [in a derogatory way] when referring to my repeating the doctrine of Christ means you have a problem with the doctrine of Christ.

So is there a question about my wondering if there is a problem with the Septuagint not being used anymore?

The believers that I meet with use the Old Testament quite extensively.

What do you mean by "the doctrine of Christ?"
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 02:19
    Once again, you're starting with a false premise. The Old Testament IS being used: I read and consult it daily. Therefore, your question "does it bother any Christian out there" is moot, since your premise is false. Congrats (I guess) for adopting a favorite strategy of people who argue for a living... that is, trying to win their argument before the other person even speaks. Sorry, I'm not playing that game.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 06:00
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Once again, you're starting with a false premise. The Old Testament IS being used: I read and consult it daily. Therefore, your question "does it bother any Christian out there" is moot, since your premise is false. Congrats (I guess) for adopting a favorite strategy of people who argue for a living... that is, trying to win their argument before the other person even speaks. Sorry, I'm not playing that game.
    The premise is not that the Old Testament is no longer used, but this Old Testament, i.e. the Septuagint.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 07:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In private amongst a men only crowd they might admit to just giving lip service to that concept.
    Do you mean all men, all Christian men, modern Christian men, some modern Christian men or someone you particularly had in mind from your past?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 15:511 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The premise is not that [b]the Old Testament is no longer used, but this Old Testament, i.e. the Septuagint.[/b]
    Thanks for making that clear. Probably its my fault that the opening post does not make it clear [judging from posts by Jaywill and Suzainne] that I was referring to the Septuagint not being used anymore.

From the research I have done so far its seems that there is a consensus of sorts that the OT used by the Apostles was in fact the Septuagint and to my mind that creates a problem for Christians of the Protestant persuasion. Why ? .. mostly because the Septuagint contains about 10 additional books compared with the present OT of the KJV.

Now personally I am not interested in discussing whether or not these 10 books or so are inspired. I think its reasonable to assume that if Paul and the early Apostles used the Septuagint [including the 10 books of the Apocrypha], then thats good enough reason for us to included it today in what Christians consider or should consider to be scripture.

I have read several arguments explaining the 'Protestant reasoning' behind why these books were excluded or why in their opinion these books add no value to the Christian understanding but they really make very little sense.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 15:581 edit

The believers that I meet with use the Old Testament quite extensively.

What do you mean by "the doctrine of Christ?"
    The doctrine of Christ is the teachings of Christ.

2 John 1:9-11 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

The teachings of Christ are centered around Loving God, Loving Your Neighbour, and keeping free from sin.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 16:46
    Thanks for making that clear. Probably its my fault that the opening post does not make it clear [judging from posts by Jaywill and Suzainne] that I was referring to the Septuagint not being used anymore.

From the research I have done so far its seems that there is a consensus of sorts that the OT used by the Apostles was in fact the Septuagint and to my ...[text shortened]... hese books add no value to the Christian understanding but they really make very little sense.
    You were clear enough, and sorta brilliant in that way of mentioning it: The fact that no Christian respondent mentioned the issue of the apocrypha, suggests that it does not "bother" them enough to even be reminded by your OP of what the historical issue is. I think we can be confident that more Christians read your OP than responded to it, and the issue, if they realized what it was, did not "bother" the non-responders enough to even reply.

So, no, it does not bother modern Christians of the RHP forum-reading kind.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 17:27
    Originally posted by JS357
    You were clear enough, and sorta brilliant in that way of mentioning it: The fact that no Christian respondent mentioned the issue of the apocrypha, suggests that it does not "bother" them enough to even be reminded by your OP of what the historical issue is. I think we can be confident that more Christians read your OP than responded to it, and the issue, if ...[text shortened]... o even reply.

So, no, it does not bother modern Christians of the RHP forum-reading kind.
    That sounds reasonable, although it could be that many Christians dont know what the Septuagint is far less even to understand the problem.

I have always known about the Septuagint but what I only found out recently is that it was the Bible of choice of the Apostles. Some even say of Christ. Like many Protestant Christians I assumed that the KJV was the inspired and absolutely complete word of God. Clearly if the Apostles considered the Septuagint to be the inspired word of God then the OT of the KJV is incomplete.

I think the Apocrypha and pseudographical literary works of the Jews at that time is definitely worth reading.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree