The Armor of Light

The Armor of Light

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
09 Jun 16
6 edits

My local PBS station recently aired this film as part of the Independent Lens series. I found it fascinating and recommend it to Christians and non-Christians alike. Well worth seeking out.

From the PBS website. You can watch a preview and clips there.

The Armor of Light follows the journey of Evangelical minister Rob Schenck, who is trying to find the courage to preach about the growing toll of gun violence in America, and Lucy McBath, the mother of an unarmed teenager who was murdered in Florida and whose story cast a spotlight on the state’s “Stand Your Ground” laws.

Reverend Schenck, a well-known anti-abortion activist and long-time fixture on the political far right, breaks with orthodoxy by questioning whether being pro-gun is consistent with being pro-life. In a series of uneasy conversations, Rev. Schenck is perplexed by the reactions of his friends and colleagues, most of whom are gun owners and adamant defenders of the 2nd Amendment, and who warn him away from this complex, politically explosive issue. Along the way, he meets Lucy McBath, also an Evangelical Christian, who decides to work with him. Lucy is on a difficult journey of her own, trying to make sense of the devastating loss of her murdered son, while using her grief to effect some kind of viable and effective political action where so many before her have failed.

The Armor of Light follows these allies through their trials of conscience, heartbreak, and rejection, as they bravely attempt to make others consider America’s gun culture through a moral lens. The film is also a glimpse at America's fractured political culture while demonstrating that it is, indeed, possible for people to come together across deep party lines to find common ground.
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/the-armor-of-light/

Anyone else watch it? What'd you think?

One remarkable part was how much insight Lucy repeatedly lent to the pastor in his attempts to understand his faith and morality as well as the "pro-life" vs. "pro-gun" question.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
09 Jun 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
My local PBS station recently aired this film as part of the Independent Lens series. I found it fascinating and recommend it to Christians and non-Christians alike. Well worth seeking out.

From the PBS website. You can watch a preview and clips there.
[quote]The Armor of Light follows the journey of Evangelical minister Rob Schenck, who is trying to ...[text shortened]... attempts to understand his faith and morality as well as the "pro-life" vs. "pro-gun" question.
Meh.

rain

Moves
09 Jun 16

"Armor of Light" is awesome title. It's like an accessory from a video game.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
10 Jun 16

Sounds like a typical leftist agenda film.