1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11921
    16 May '05 10:52
    The Rector of my college is a Christian. Many years ago he was in the Army. He had to go to the Angolan war. He was on the back of a military vehicle with one of his friends. He was talking to his friend about God. His friend said that God is a fairy tale. As an atheist he said that he does not believe that God exists...

    The next moment they drove over a land mine. They were both thrown off the vehicle. The engine of the vehicle landed on the atheist. Boiling hot oil started leaking over his body. His cries were heard a mile away, "God help me!".

    A few seconds ago he had denied the existance of God!

    Don't wait for a bomb to explode in your life before you admit that God exists.
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 May '05 11:03
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    The Rector of my college is a Christian. Many years ago he was in the Army. He had to go to the Angolan war. He was on the back of a military vehicle with one of his friends. He was talking to his friend about God. His friend said that God is a fairy tale. As an atheist he said that he does not believe that God exists...

    The next moment they drove over ...[text shortened]... nce of God!

    Don't wait for a bomb to explode in your life before you admit that God exists.
    This cry was merely habitualisation to a christian society he grew up around. I often say 'Jesus Christ' out of surprise or anger, it is not a cry to god, it is a habitual action from being part of a mostly christian society, nothing more.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    16 May '05 11:161 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    The Rector of my college is a Christian. Many years ago he was in the Army. He had to go to the Angolan war. He was on the back of a military vehicle with one of his friends. He was talking to his friend about God. His friend said that Go ...[text shortened]... r a bomb to explode in your life before you admit that God exists.
    Much like the bible your story has contradictions. Was it a bomb or a landmine?
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11921
    16 May '05 11:54
    Originally posted by Starrman
    This cry was merely habitualisation to a christian society he grew up around. I often say 'Jesus Christ' out of surprise or anger, it is not a cry to god, it is a habitual action from being part of a mostly christian society, nothing more.
    I don't think his cry was merely a habitual action. If it was I don't think he would have asked the Rector to pray with him and ask for God's forgiveness. I think the statement that says "You speak the truth like a dying man", is rather significant.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    16 May '05 11:55
    Clutching at straws.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 May '05 11:581 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I don't think his cry was merely a habitual action. If it was I don't think he would have asked the Rector to pray with him and ask for God's forgiveness. I think the statement that says "You speak the truth like a dying man", is rather significant.
    You did not write this in your original post.

    It's a damn silly statement, dying men speak out of desperation, not truth.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11921
    16 May '05 12:01
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Much like the bible your story has contradictions. Was it a bomb or a landmine?
    A bomb is defined as "An explosive weapon detonated by impact, proximity to an object, a timing mechanism, or other means."

    A landmine is a certain type of bomb.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    16 May '05 13:021 edit
    About time God started blowing up athiests. The hot oil drips were just frosting on the Love Cake.

    ES
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    16 May '05 13:06
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    The Rector of my college is a Christian. Many years ago he was in the Army. He had to go to the Angolan war. He was on the back of a military vehicle with one of his friends. He was talking to his friend about God. His friend said that God is a fairy tale. As an atheist he said that he does not believe that God exists...

    The next moment they drove over ...[text shortened]... nce of God!

    Don't wait for a bomb to explode in your life before you admit that God exists.
    I find you using the suffering of that soldier particularly disgusting, he was suffering in your name , for YOU.

    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. -- John 15:13

    Youre a sick person dj

  10. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    12010
    16 May '05 13:406 edits
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I find you using the suffering of that soldier particularly disgusting, he was suffering in your name , for YOU.

    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. -- John 15:13

    Youre a sick person dj

    dj....

    I agree with frogstomp.......that was a disgusting....comparison of what God is about...these men at war, are there for you for us......and a soldier possibly dying to save you, that example of "See, I told you so" brought you down in estimation I am sure in all Christians eyes
    ....was truly uncalled for .....
    I think you should re think the words you wrote, and the meaning.... and appology should be said, to all the soldiers...many of who die to save us.

    There are many people who have been touched by a war, that was the utmost in unchristianity....think before you write, on how much
    that statement that story, and what impact it might have on others.


    gil

    edits ..sheesh!
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    11921
    16 May '05 15:01
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I find you using the suffering of that soldier particularly disgusting, he was suffering in your name , for YOU.

    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. -- John 15:13

    Youre a sick person dj

    I think you totally misunderstood what I was writing. It was only aimed as a warning for those that poke a finger into God's eye. In fact it was revealing the truth of the words in Galatians 6:7 - Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    16 May '05 15:25
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I think you totally misunderstood what I was writing. It was only aimed as a warning for those that poke a finger into God's eye. In fact it was revealing the truth of the words in Galatians 6:7 - Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
    I understand how despicable that post was.
  13. Standard memberShallowBlue
    Bah Humbug!
    C:\Drive
    Joined
    28 Feb '04
    Moves
    13274
    16 May '05 15:56
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I don't think his cry was merely a habitual action. If it was I don't think he would have asked the Rector to pray with him and ask for God's forgiveness. I think the statement that says "You speak the truth like a dying man", is rather significant.
    I think you are underestimating the power of conditioning.
    Crying 'Oh God' in various circumstances does not imply any admission of god's existence it is in many cases simply habitualisation as starrman points out.
    For instance, what do you infer about god when someone says 'oh god' while having an orgasm?
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 May '05 16:04
    Originally posted by ShallowBlue
    I think you are underestimating the power of conditioning.
    Crying 'Oh God' in various circumstances does not imply any admission of god's existence it is in many cases simply habitualisation as starrman points out.
    For instance, what do you infer about god when someone says 'oh god' while having an orgasm?
    Depends if a)you are a creationist and b)if you are using contraception
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    16 May '05 16:35
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Depends if a)you are a creationist and b)if you are using contraception
    I thought creationists were only interested in fundaments.
Back to Top