1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:23
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure if I understand where you want to go with this, though. We're talking about people who have rejected the notion of a supreme moral being, still calling something "God".
    I can believe that some people who have personally rejected the notion of a supreme moral being would pay lip service, because they know the people generally believe in God as a supreme moral being. I am sure that many politicians are like this. OTOH, I have known some people, one being my sister, who think of God as a 'principle' and don't mind using the word in that sense. If some people think God is a living being of some sort, it's OK by them. It's just too bad that the respect isn't always mutual.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:28
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not sure if I understand where you want to go with this, though. We're talking about people who have rejected the notion of a supreme moral being, still calling something "God".
    Do you object to pantheists referring to the universe itself as god?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:30
    Originally posted by JS357
    I can believe that some people who have personally rejected the notion of a supreme moral being would pay lip service, because they know the people generally believe in God as a supreme moral being. I am sure that many politicians are like this. OTOH, I have known some people, one being my sister, who think of God as a 'principle' and don't mind using the word ...[text shortened]... ing of some sort, it's OK by them. It's just too bad that the respect isn't always mutual.
    So, in a sense, it is doublespeak. Either that, or personal confusion.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:362 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Do you object to pantheists referring to the universe itself as god?
    You're not concerned about truth, why should I waste my time with you?

Edit - I'll gladly address that if someone else is interested, by the way. Or if you convince me you're worth my time.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:47
    So, in a sense, it is doublespeak. Either that, or personal confusion.
    Probably in most cases, it is one or the other. I know I use language like "God help us" or "God only knows" without believing in a god. Like, today's stock market behavior triggers both thoughts.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    Probably in most cases, it is one or the other. I know I use language like "God help us" or "God only knows" without believing in a god. Like, today's stock market behavior triggers both thoughts.
    Ha! Me too, it's a guilty pleasure. 🙂
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Aug '11 17:56
    You're not concerned about truth, why should I waste my time with you?

Edit - I'll gladly address that if someone else is interested, by the way. Or if you convince me you're worth my time.
    😴
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Aug '11 01:05
    "Psychology as an argument cuts both ways."

The Psychology of Atheism

YouTube&feature=related

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree