1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 03:11
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I don't have a problem in general with followers of any religion. However, I have a problem with the doctrine of if you don't follow my religion you'll suffer eternal punishment. Because it's a lie. It is the greatest lie in the history of the human race. I'm not 100% positive that that is what the founders of Christianity intended but that is what it has b ...[text shortened]... ion entirely too consumed with death and completely ignorant of living life to the fullest.
    Christ once said that he came into the world so that we not only would have life, but that we would have it more abundantly. I think it is sad that some Chrisitians view their faith as merely a ticket to heaven.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 04:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The best thing about christianity happened a thousand years ago or more. During the dark ages, the Convents and so forth were the only repository for classical knowledge, they saved as much of it as they could so the come ages would not be so bereft of the wisdom of the ancients. It was almost lost in Europe during the dark ages. I have to give them credit for that at least.
    I was thinking the same thing when I was going over my library of Mayan writings.
  3. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 06:25
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What do you think it is?

1) Compassion
    2) Forgiveness
    3) Comfort and peace in death
    Definitely forgiveness.

Not healthy to live life with a grudge.
  4. Joined
    15 Mar '07
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 09:24
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I was thinking the same thing when I was going over my library of Mayan writings.
    Wasn't it the Christian Roman Catholics who destroyed almost all the writings of the Mayas in Mexico, effectively burying a civilisation?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 11:13
    Originally posted by limp biscuit
    Wasn't it the Christian Roman Catholics who destroyed almost all the writings of the Mayas in Mexico, effectively burying a civilisation?
    Picky Picky๐Ÿ™‚
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 15:36
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    5) Living with God.

Catholcism isn't Christianity.
    Well said.
    At work the other day on of my hispanic coworkers ask me if I was Christian or Catholic. I told him I was Christian. He had ask me because he was raised in a Christian home and his girl friend is Catholic but they both don't go to church. They are getting married so they need to find a church. I said as a joke to bad you both aren't 100% practicing catholic becasue you would get a free wedding in their church.
  7. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 17:43
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    It's unfortunate that Christians, or non-extremist members of any religion, get a nice fat stereotype. ๐Ÿ™
    Quite.
  8. Illinois
    Moves
    20 Mar '07 14:03
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I don't have a problem in general with followers of any religion. However, I have a problem with the doctrine of if you don't follow my religion you'll suffer eternal punishment. Because it's a lie. It is the greatest lie in the history of the human race. I'm not 100% positive that that is what the founders of Christianity intended but that is what it has b ...[text shortened]... ion entirely too consumed with death and completely ignorant of living life to the fullest.
    It's not 'follow my religion' or you'll suffer eternal torment; it's 'repent and believe in Jesus' or you'll suffer eternal torment. The point you're missing, that's causing your hostility, is that Christ's way of salvation is not man-made. Faith is produced and upheld by the power of God. After Christianity became powerful (after followers of Christ ceased being persecuted for their faith), false religious types began to cling to the faith, having a pretend faith for worldly gain, and causing all kinds of p.r. problems for Christ down through the centuries; which no one is more angry about than God, I'm sure. These hypocritical folks obscure true faith, even make true faith obsolete in their congregations; they're easy to spot, and easy to hate. Everybody knows who they are, but they seem to be untouchable. But I tell you what, if you think you hate these people now, you'll hate them infinitely worse when you find out they kept you from discovering Christ for yourself, a true faith rooted in the power of God and not in religion or religious pride. That's the rationale I used seven years ago to take a closer look at what the bible said for myself. I used to be a rabid atheist and I hated pompous Christians so much that I was determined, if Christ was indeed real, that they would not keep me from knowing Him. I approached the word sincerely and discovered the reality of Christ's kingdom, repented, became born again and received the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. It was difficult to forfeit my pride, but it was worth it to find the Truth. As a follower of Christ now, the Christians I used to hate while I was an atheist really are no less reprehensible. Actually, more so now that I know the Truth which they defame for their greed, which also causes the defamation of me and others like me who love the Truth. The point is, don't let hypocrites keep you out of contact with the Truth, which is Jesus Christ Himself, the Lord.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree