2) Forgiveness
    3) Comfort and peace in death
    4) Catholic girls
  3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 12:22
    Originally posted by Starrman
    4) Catholic girls
    4b) Asian Catholic School Girls... HAAAWT!
  4. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 16:031 edit
    5) Living with God.

Catholcism isn't Christianity.
  5. Joined
    15 Mar '07
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 16:15
    Catholcism isn't Christianity.
    Well, thats certainly interesting. I guess you subscribe to the Lutherist notion of Christianity
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 16:23
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    4b) Asian Catholic School Girls... HAAAWT!
    swedish catholic girls... even if they ain't catholic!
  7. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 17:41
    6) Respect of other religions. ie. not trying to convert everyone and tell them that if they do not accept God they shall burn in Hell.

...oh wait.
  8. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 17:48
    Originally posted by Raven69
    6) Respect of other religions. ie. not trying to convert everyone and tell them that if they do not accept God they shall burn in Hell.

...oh wait.
    A long wait that is...
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 18:02
    Originally posted by Raven69

...oh wait.
    Not every Christian believes that non-Christians don't go to heaven/do go to hell. It's unfortunate that Christians, or non-extremist members of any religion, get a nice fat stereotype. 🙁
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '07 18:28
    The best thing about christianity happened a thousand years ago or more. During the dark ages, the Convents and so forth were the only repository for classical knowledge, they saved as much of it as they could so the come ages would not be so bereft of the wisdom of the ancients. It was almost lost in Europe during the dark ages. I have to give them credit for that at least.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 02:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    What do you think it is?

1) Compassion
    2) Forgiveness
    3) Comfort and peace in death
    I often wonder how the Christian faith has shaped the world at large. When I think of the pre-Christian world, I think of a time when the world was a very dark place. It was a time when fledgling new Christians were fed to lions simply because they were different and did not worship the same gods of less tolerent people. It was a time when all but one of the 12 disciples were martryed for attempting to do nothing more than share what they saw was the good news of the gospels, not to mention what happened to Chrsit himself. What did these men of peace bring to the world as they sacrificed their very lives to reach out to those they saw as lost? I say they they brought into existence a world in which the good news of the gospel is at least known throughout the world and is in large part preached without the persecution as in times past. Granted, Christiandom has its faults in the past and even today but at least it is in large part a continuing outreach to those who are poor and need help and for those who feel that they are lost souls an indifferent world.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 02:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 02:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    I often wonder how the Christian faith has shaped the world at large. When I think of the pre-Christian world, I think of a time when the world was a very dark place. It was a time when fledgling new Christians were fed to lions simply because they were different and did not worship the same gods of less tolerent people. It was a time when all but one of t ...[text shortened]... who are poor and need help and for those who feel that they are lost souls an indifferent world.
    Christians got fed to the Lions because they were a pain in the rear. I'd like to throw the Jehovah's witnesses that come to my door once a month to the Lions but I don't have any and my Irish Setters are too stupid to bite them.

Seriously to paint the picture that the world was a place of darkness until Christianity came along and saved the heathens from themselves is seriously flawed and inaccurate. Try studying the religions, folk beliefs, mythology, etc. of the pre-Christian Europeans and you might have a different viewpoint. For example read the Havamal (ancient Norse Edda) where the virtues of hospitality, honesty, hard work, etc. are extolled and you could hardly come to the conclusion that these people needed Christianity to make them decent human beings.

Oh and as to your comment about the Christians being fed to the lions by "less tolerant" people give me a break. Tolerance is not something Christians are exactly in a position to crow about. How many people were burned at the stake and converted by the sword as Christianity swept across Europe. Tell the people that get blown up at an abortion clinic about tolerance. Better yet tell the folks about tolerance that come to my door every month and tell me I'm going to burn in Hell because I'm a heathen and refuse to bow to their Christ and beg for a forgiveness that I didn't ask for.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 02:441 edit
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Christians got fed to the Lions because they were a pain in the rear. I'd like to throw the Jehovah's witnesses that come to my door once a month to the Lions but I don't have any and my Irish Setters are too stupid to bite them.

Seriously to paint the picture that the world was a place of darkness until Christianity came along and saved the heathens from athen and refuse to bow to their Christ and beg for a forgiveness that I didn't ask for.
    I do not defend all of the followers of the religion. I merely defend its founders. If they were truly followers, would their lives not mirror those that they claim to follow?

As far as there being "good eggs" before the advent of Christianity, I don't deny this fact. For example, I think men such as Socrates could be placed in this basket. He was the conscience of his time, however, he payed a high price as well when they killed him. I just think the world is a little brighter place over all, so to speak, than it used to be. I suppose we can agree to disagree.
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '07 02:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    I do not defend all of the followers of the religion. I merely defend its founders. If they were truly followers, would their lives not mirror those that they claim to follow?
    I don't have a problem in general with followers of any religion. However, I have a problem with the doctrine of if you don't follow my religion you'll suffer eternal punishment. Because it's a lie. It is the greatest lie in the history of the human race. I'm not 100% positive that that is what the founders of Christianity intended but that is what it has become. A great instrument of fear and control. A religion entirely too consumed with death and completely ignorant of living life to the fullest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree