The Big Kahuna

The Big Kahuna

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
21 May 05

has anyone out there seen the movie The Big Kahuna? it stars spacey, devito, and facinelli. it is not a great piece of cinematic achievement, but i love the movie for the underlying themes it proposes.

in short, these three salesmen go to a conference in wichita, KS to sell industrial lubricants. specifically, they go there to make a sale to the 'big kahuna' who, if they get him onboard as a customer, can make their business huge.

however, whenever facinelli's character meets a prospective client, he chooses to initiate discussions about the bible and jesus christ, rather than about industrial lubricants, thus thwarting the goal of selling lubricants. the point the movie makes is that such a person is insincere: the salesman pushing religion is no better than the salesman pushing vacuum cleaners door to door who will stick his foot in the door when you try to close it, or is no better than the ambulance-chasing lawyer who corners the weak and disoriented into accepting his services.

the movie makes a crucial point about skepticism. there is something extremely insincere about a person whose belief system offers no room for any skepticism -- it is insincere to enter an argument, or start a discussion, knowing that you cannot possibly be influenced or shown wrong. such people have given up on the search for truth (possibly because they think they have found it already), and in shouting their beliefs from the mountain-tops, they prevent others from finding ultimate truth.

i urge you all to watch the movie through to the end and see what you think. i assure you the movie really has nothing to do with industrial lubricants. the symbology of the movie is absolutely clear: making a sale to the 'big kahuna' represents the discovery of ultimate truth, and the bible-wielding salesman represents the person who believes his stance is inerrant (fitting, i think) -- he prevents any ultimate success until he changes in the end.

the similarities between what you see in the movie and discussions you have read in this spirituality forum will overwhelm you.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
22 May 05

"The Big Kahuna"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189584/

L

Moves
27 Mar 06

Bump.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
has anyone out there seen the movie The Big Kahuna? it stars spacey, devito, and facinelli. it is not a great piece of cinematic achievement, but i love the movie for the underlying themes it proposes.

in short, these three salesmen go to a conference in wichita, KS to sell industrial lubricants. specifically, they go there to make a sale to the 'bi ...[text shortened]... e in the movie and discussions you have read in this spirituality forum will overwhelm you.
As we began discussing in the other thread, I think the striking thing about PF's character was how disingenuous he was, respective of who was paying him. Regardless of the fact that his contact with Dick at the party was courtesy of his company, he chose to use the opportunity to finangle the conversation to God.

Equally disturbing was the motivation behind such contortions. Here the man had lost his dog, and instead of 'weeping with those who weep,' in a human manner, PF twists everything around to 'sneak' God into the conversation. PF was not motivated by love, either for God or for any of the people with whom he 'shared' the Good News. He was motivated by guilt.

The distinction I would make between what PF did in TBK and folks here on the sundry threads in this forum, is this forum is directed toward things spiritual, whereas PF was there ostensibly for the purpose of selling oil lubricants.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
27 Mar 06

Wow! That really was pre-Freaky!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by LemonJello
Bump.
Why the bump? I never heard of the movie and the review on that site helped. As it was made in '99, it should be in the cheap movie section of blockbuster, my guess, 10 bucks for sale, 2 bucks to rent.
Anyone know how it did at the box office in '99 or 2000?

L

Moves
27 Mar 06
2 edits

Originally posted by sonhouse
Why the bump? I never heard of the movie and the review on that site helped. As it was made in '99, it should be in the cheap movie section of blockbuster, my guess, 10 bucks for sale, 2 bucks to rent.
The bump was mostly in reference to a discussion Freaky and I were having.

The movie didn't do much in the box office: 3.15 million gross according to Yahoo.com.

L

Moves
27 Mar 06

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
As we began discussing in the other thread, I think the striking thing about PF's character was how disingenuous he was, respective of who was paying him. Regardless of the fact that his contact with Dick at the party was courtesy of his company, he chose to use the opportunity to finangle the conversation to God.

Equally disturbing was the motivation ...[text shortened]... ngs spiritual, whereas PF was there ostensibly for the purpose of selling oil lubricants.
I fully agree.

and instead of 'weeping with those who weep,' in a human manner, PF twists everything around to 'sneak' God into the conversation.

Yes, this seems to be exactly the point the movie wants to make. Devito's character makes the same point about the human connection:

"It doesn't matter whether you're selling Jesus or Buddha or civil rights or 'How to Make Money in Real Estate With No Money Down.' That doesn't make you a human being; it makes you a marketing rep. If you want to talk to somebody honestly, as a human being, ask him about his kids. Find out what his dreams are - just to find out, for no other reason. Because as soon as you lay your hands on a conversation to steer it, it's not a conversation anymore; it's a pitch."

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
27 Mar 06

Great line; I'd all but forgotten that one. That's a movie I gotta get in my collection. Even though I've played it over and over in my head for the past seven years, I'm sure there are other gems relegated to random forgotten miscellany in my brain. It's a movie worth reviewing again, to be sure.