The case for Adam & Eve.

The case for Adam & Eve.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by menace71
R.C. snakes talk in Harry Potter LOL 🙂

Manny

PS: just trying to inject a bit of humor
Lol, ok I never seen the films, never seen Lord of the Rings either 🙂

Cape Town

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, ok I never seen the films, never seen Lord of the Rings either 🙂
You don't know what your missing. Though I would read the books first if I were you. (The Lord of the Rings is better).

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
You don't know what your missing. Though I would read the books first if I were you. (The Lord of the Rings is better).
i read the hobbit, fantasy is just not my thing.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Nov 10

i read the hobbit, fantasy is just not my thing.
Your best joke yet.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
23 Nov 10

why are you asking me to justify a value you designated? did i state all contents, no, did i even mention miraculous events, no I did not. As i have pointed now for perhaps the third time, i had specifics in mind, of which i have provided examples, the fall of Tyre, The destruction of Jerusalem, the fall of Babylon, the existence of Pilate, the existence of Christ etc etc , all corroborated by archaeological and historical evidence!
I am not asking you for anything. As I said, I was simply pointing out the specious nature of the argument you referred to, being that (as you say, for the third time) "archaeology has provided ample evidence that the contents [of the bible] are trustworthy". Archaeology has provided no such evidence, and to claim that it has debases your position. The significance to theists of biblical scripture comes not from geographical or geopolitical context, but rather from the miraculous events detailed therein and archaeology can, of course, provide no corroboration for these.

F

Moves
23 Nov 10

(Genesis 3:1) Now the serpent proved to be the most cautious of all the wild beasts of the field that Jehovah God had made. So it began to say to the woman: “Is it really so that God said you must not eat from every tree of the garden?”

Putting the scripture within the realms of the entire Bible and reasoning upon it, we learn that, the original ...[text shortened]... nt, Satan utilised a snake so as to make it appear to talk to the women for snakes don't talk.
But the book of revelation didn't exist when genesis was written, so the author of revelation (who?) was interpretating as anyone can interprete. His guessings was good as anyone's guessings. He didn't believe in the genesis, letter-by-letter, so he didn't believe in the creation either. Perhaps he would believe in Darwin if he knew his theroy?

Are the words of the bible symbolic or not? Perhaps even Jesus was only symbolically son of god, and not the real son at all? Perhaps Jesus just believed in a symbolic god? Perhaps Jesus was a symbol himself?

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Your best joke yet.
Lol, it was not intended as a joke but never the less, well if it raises a smile, it is enough for me 🙂

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I am not asking you for anything. As I said, I was simply pointing out the specious nature of the argument you referred to, being that (as you say, for the third time) [b]"archaeology has provided ample evidence that the contents [of the bible] are trustworthy". Archaeology has provided no such evidence, and to claim that it has debases your po ...[text shortened]... us events detailed therein and archaeology can, of course, provide no corroboration for these.[/b]
and Mr bad ol putty cat what about the specific instances i mentioned, contained in the Bible and corroborated by archaeology, are you saying that they are not?

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by FabianFnas
But the book of revelation didn't exist when genesis was written, so the author of revelation (who?) was interpretating as anyone can interprete. His guessings was good as anyone's guessings. He didn't believe in the genesis, letter-by-letter, so he didn't believe in the creation either. Perhaps he would believe in Darwin if he knew his theroy?

Are the ...[text shortened]... n at all? Perhaps Jesus just believed in a symbolic god? Perhaps Jesus was a symbol himself?
why it matters that it did not exist at the time of writing i have no idea, it exists now, and as we hold that the entire biblical canon is inspired, our beliefs are based not on one isolated part, but the whole.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
23 Nov 10
1 edit

and Mr bad ol putty cat what about the specific instances i mentioned, contained in the Bible and corroborated by archaeology, are you saying that they are not?
The specific instances being "the fall of Tyre, The destruction of Jerusalem, the fall of Babylon, the existence of Pilate, the existence of Christ", right? Well I haven't checked the data myself, and while I suspect that archaeology doesn't provide direct evidence for the existence of Pilate or Jesus I don't doubt that these fellas existed, nor do I dispute that Tyre and Babylon both existed and fell, and that Jerusalem was destroyed. I have no doubt that a great deal of the bible does reflect actual historical events - it may even be true that some of the miraculous events detailed in this scripture really happened, I don't claim to know otherwise. There are two points I am making; firstly that there is no archaeological evidence for any of the miraculous events detailed in the bible, and secondly that the archaeological evidence in support of scripture in no way leads rationally to a conclusion that the bible is a trustworthy historical document.

Incidentally, if this response seems a little disjointed or poorly worded or composed, please understand that I'm drinking good whisky and watching Frankie Boyle on the telly while I'm typing.

edit: And why 'bad' old putty cat? I'm one of the good guys, honest I am.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Nov 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Your best joke yet.
absolute classic! 😀
I nearly lost my balance...

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10

The specific instances being "the fall of Tyre, The destruction of Jerusalem, the fall of Babylon, the existence of Pilate, the existence of Christ", right? Well I haven't checked the data myself, and while I suspect that archaeology doesn't provide direct evidence for the existence of Pilate or Jesus I don't doubt that these fellas existed, ...[text shortened]... yping.

so you haven't checked it, but suspect that the archaeological evidence is to be found wanting, my goodness man, Babylon remains uninhabited to this day, its easy to check, all that is left of Jerusalem is a wall, the Romans thoroughly levelled the temple to the ground, as per the prophecy of the Christ.

I dispute the last charge that archaeological evidence in support of scripture no way leads to the rational conclusion that the Bible is a trustworthy document, my goodness man, the dead sea scrolls were found in Qumran, encased for almost a thousand years and were identical with the book of Isaiah that we have in our bibles today, why this is not evidence of trustworthiness and textual integrity, i do not know.

bad ol putty cat is actually a term of endearment from Tweety pie and Sylvester.

rc

Moves
23 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
absolute classic! 😀
I nearly lost my balance...
yeah like you had it in the first place! 😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Nov 10
3 edits

The specific instances being "the fall of Tyre, The destruction of Jerusalem, the fall of Babylon, the existence of Pilate, the existence of Christ", right? Well I haven't checked the data myself, and while I suspect that archaeology doesn't provide direct evidence for the existence of Pilate or Jesus I don't doubt that these fellas existed, yping.

The problem that I see with "biblical miracles" (and other sorts) is that I dont think we see the whole picture. It only seems like a miracle from the laymans point of view at the time . I say time because...

I magine that a group of "bad" aliens had had access to a time machine and were able to go back in time and manipulate history. Using their advanced tchnology they could make "miracles" happen and then dissapear without leaving a trace.

Now apparaently these aliens "punched" a hole through our...I dont know what you call it.. something like a barrier of sorts and came into our world around 1950. Then they experimented , skipping through time (and space?) and proceeded to alter our history without ever leaving a trace. The problem they found is that their time machine was limited. It could go back a million years but it could only go forward to the year 2025. Apparently their goals have changed. Whereas before they wanted to "take over" our planet, they realize now that they need to learn from our emotional bodies to complete their "quest" . This involves working together with certain humans and not harming the general populace. (Also concealing their existence)

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Nov 10

so you haven't checked it, but suspect that the archaeological evidence is to be found wanting, my goodness man, Babylon remains uninhabited to this day, its easy to check, all that is left of Jerusalem is a wall, the Romans thoroughly levelled the temple to the ground, as per the prophecy of the Christ.

I dispute the last charge that archaeolog ...[text shortened]... o not know.

bad ol putty cat is actually a term of endearment from Tweety pie and Sylvester.
Archaeological evidence backs up some of the Greek myths. That doesn't mean you believe there was a minotaur and a woman with snakes for hair who could turn you into stone by looking into her eyes does it?!